The latest Matt Mclaughlin read.

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
This guy has become a staple of my reading. Fresh, opiniated, and sarcastically funny.

A snippet.

"And, God, I know I’m always asking for that next mega-sized Powerball winning lottery ticket, but it’s genuinely cool with me if you give it to Brian France, so he can buy a NFL franchise in Los Angeles and ruin the NFL rather than systematically destroy the sport I’ve loved all these decades any further. I am convinced that nothing is going to get better in this sport until Brian Zachary France, who has demonstrated the intellectual capacity of a purple butt baboon too intellectually lazy to pluck even the fruit from the lowest hanging branches, is no longer involved with NASCAR."

:2funny:

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
Ironic that the NFL would be mentioned because Brian DOES run things like some of these NFL team owners. And I think a lot of nascar fans just "hang on" like fans of the Raiders, Lions, Browns, etc.

Boy would I like to be a fly on the wall to know what some people on the inside REALLY think. But it may take YEARS before those stories ever get out.

I'll say it again....it will not surprise me AT ALL if the day comes when the chase goes bye bye. Never say "never". What if a sponsor of a team, say like for Tony, starts not liking how his points get taken away and complains? I'm just sayin'.....

MichaelC

Oct 14, 2008
I'm not sure the Chase will go away, but I don't think we're too far away from seeing a different version of it. The same guy winning the championship 4 years in a row can't be what NASCAR wants, and it's being reflected in the TV ratings. Obviously, they can't simply tell the 48 team to quit winning championships. The 48 team is earning them, based on the rules for winning the championship as they're presented to them. I wouldn't doubt NASCAR has been running different models on a computer, though, on points systems that could stop the 48's dominance.

The problem is NASCAR has painted themselves into a box that they can't get out of. Chase is probably not working out like they had hoped, but yet, their pride won't allow them to publicly admit that. It'll make it look like they made a mistake with the Chase. So they come up with different variations of it. The reason I say that the Chase isn't working out like they had hoped, is that if it were, they'd have brought the Chase concept to the Nationwide series.

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
So you're saying seeing the exact same thing 4 years in a row is turning fans off? No way, not according to Mr. France lol..
It's turned me off thats for sure. I still watch (Not the last few weeks, whats the point?) But I've given up on points and titles. Theres no point.
I'll take each race on its own from now on, week to week. The only points I'll care about will be Yahoo Fantasy. :)

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Jeff Gordon won 3 championships in 4 years, and 2 of those were all but clinched before the season finale. In those 4 years the sport experienced its biggest growth. So is it really the fact that someone is dominating, or that its who is dominating?

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
Well, I think a lot of people (my stepson would be one) don't get the point of the other drivers even being in a race if they're not in the chase. Of course one could say that about the old points system too.

Also, one could argue that the chase has made "points racing" MORE prevalent than the old system. (Juan anyone? :p) I would argue it's hurt some of the racing at some tracks.

There's NO WAY this 48 dominance was thought of and I think it's been a headache for nascar, especially with the 88 not doing squat. Both hurt the sport. And listen :)p) I'm not trying to hate on the 48. ;)

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Jeff Gordon won 3 championships in 4 years, and 2 of those were all but clinched before the season finale. In those 4 years the sport experienced its biggest growth. So is it really the fact that someone is dominating, or that its who is dominating?

Definitely who. :yesshake:

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
There's no doubting that many fans are SO FED UP with ALL HENDRICK, ALL THE TIME! :p

Remember, Jr. Nation HATED Hendrick. And those feelings don't just go away easily.

This could go back to rivalries too. I remember several good ones back then. Like Rusty and Jeff on short tracks. I wonder if that could really happen now with how heavy-handed nascar has become.