The Human Cost

twufred

Nov 12, 2008
New Jersey Shore
It was good to find the new home for great people like DAB, SISO, AZ Joe, Harley Joel and so many of the others whose comments and personal messages I enjoyed at Backstage. Digital Radio Central is the new town square!

A close friend of mine was with Sirius from the beginning. A major New York City DJ for more than 40 years his voice graced WNBC, WCBS-FM and is still heard as the "invisible" announcer on ABC Sports and elsewhere. However, his heart will always be married to "riding the records."

My pal is a victim of Karmazin's Kalamity. With barely 48-hours notice, his life has been turned upside down. He is on-the-bricks. And there are not many jobs for radio announcers as America embraces the jukebox style of listening to music of all genres. Especially when you are age 61.

He and so many more quality radio giants who brought in the subscribers when XM and Sirius were fledgling companies have had their hearts broken. Ask anyone who has every experienced the horror of being fired just before the holidays. The Thanksgiving turkey will need a ton of cranberry sauce to mask the bitter taste in their households.

I know salient arguments can be made explaining why "downsizing" and "furloughs" (modern-day camouflage terms for being put out of work) are necessary in tough economic times. But that does not ease the pain when it is your head that was chopped by Mel's guillotine.

I read threads opining that Karmazin put one over. His ala carte promises were on-par with "the check is in the mail." I guess time will tell.

Tonight I am meeting my friend in the shadow of Rockefeller Center in midtown Manhattan to buy him a drink or two - or ten. If ever a guy needed to get "plastered," it is he.

You see, this afternoon he goes up to the Sirius studios for the last time to remove his belongings and surrender his ID card.

mch

Nov 11, 2008
Las Vegas
This is unfortunate. All the same however, if this person is the experienced presenter you say he is, surely he must have known that joining with a venture like SIRI, they plan to build brand recognition off your talents and once that's done you're essentially a luxury.

The company was spending like a drunken sailor around 2005. That couldn't last.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
Changes are never easy. It's especially difficult to be out of work at a time like this. Best of luck to your friend. I hope he lands on his feet. With his experience, hopefully his downtime will be minimal.

syphix

Oct 15, 2008
Unfortunately, as reported Monday $4.88 BILLION in losses, they have to cut, cut, cut. They HAVE to. And some good people get hurt in the process.

You have to break some eggs to make an omelette.

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008
I wish your friend the best.
Not to be apathetic, but read the news. 90 of my engineering friends across the street will be jobless by Christmas. Banks closed. Circuit City employees.

It sucks that his job is gone, but this merger could save the company and many jobs.

Tough economy right now. Think some GM workers are a little nervous?

IronJabroni

Oct 13, 2008
my favorite intelligence-insulting term is "rightsizing" the operation
unless you're a shareholder this usually means grab your ankles

Manco

Oct 14, 2008
I would recommend your friend look for voice over work for commercials on radio, TV, cartoons etc. It's a good business for those with a unique voice talent which he probably has. My point is there is other work where age isn't always a factor and he can work for himself.

Tell him good luck for me.