The Greatest NASCAR Comeback Ever

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
"Then you had Alan Kulwicki, the owner/driver of a single car team. Compared to Robert Yates Racing and Junior Johnson’s outfit, it seemed Kulwicki and his boys had brought a knife to a gunfight. (Just try to imagine Robby Gordon battling it out with a Rick Hendrick and Jack Roush-owned team this season.) Kulwicki had won races at Bristol and Pocono, but he was still flying well below the radar (no savage irony intended) in that year’s title Chase. Only a year before, Kulwicki’s outfit had entered the Daytona 500 without a title sponsor. He’d finished 13th in the points and won just one race. Anyone who’d predicted prior to the season that Kulwicki would win the title would have been accused of munching on a stash of Woodstock-era brown acid. "

The Frontstretch: Matt McLaughlin Mouths Off: The Greatest NASCAR Comeback Ever by Matt McLaughlin -- Thursday October 8, 2009

A good read.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Those were the good old days, that's for sure. Alan had the best sponsor in racing back then IMO. I got to only go to one race that year at Watkins Glen. He finished 7th in the 7. Kyle Petty actually won the race that day.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
Taste like chicken........wings.......chicken wings.........uh, nevermind. :eek:

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
When they opened a place in Lubbock, a co-worker wanted me to go for lunch. And that was the first and last time I'll go. Because ALL of the customers were men and I felt like a loser. Heck, why not just go to the local strip joint? At least there you can stare at naked ladies instead of acting like you're not looking and thinking of what they look like. :p I'm glad I wasn't paying! ;)