The good ol days

styckx

Nov 11, 2008
When people modified their PNP's.

Quick video of my original sportster repainted and customized with a onboard cooling fan. (Current and still working)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5G4NYT5OhQ]YouTube - Sportster[/ame]

styckx

Nov 11, 2008
A cooling fan?! Awesome, but funny. Good ole' Sirius Heaters. ;)

It's funny yeah, but those receivers in the middle of summer? FORGET ABOUT IT. The stupid LCD was washed out to a unreadable point and those things could actually burn skin back then if you held it too long.

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
It's funny yeah, but those receivers in the middle of summer? FORGET ABOUT IT. The stupid LCD was washed out to a unreadable point and those things could actually burn skin back then if you held it too long.

oh, I know it! the first radio we got was a BLACK Xact XTR7 in the car. That thing heated up in the sun and the screen washed out to white almost. Never stopped working, always played the music, too.

In fact, it's since been rescued from my ex's car and is sitting snugly in it's boombox at the end of my bed now, playing Channel 33 for me. I consider the radio 'in retirement', now. ;)
No more long roadtrips, hot summer days, and being knocked around in the car. It can rest easy now.

HarleyJoel

Oct 28, 2008
New Jersey Coast
That modification obviously done in the garage or attic. I still use my PNP3 and it still works without any modification. I doesn't get as hot as to "wash out" the screen but it does get pretty hot. I'm waiting for it to die so I can get a new model.

Supafly

Oct 12, 2008
Tumor Phones

I did the headphone antenna mod on my Stilleto. Not the costly complicated one. I just shaved off the antenna plug so it would fit with my earphones.

Never wanted to have satellite signals concentrated on my head. Don't think they'll be anyone around to sue for a rectangualr shaped tumor on the top of my skull.

Reactions: MadisonRadio1

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
Seeing as how the antennea isn't broadcasting the signal, I can't imagine any tumors, since the satellite signal is everywhere in the air already, since its being broadcasted. So, it isn't making the sigal come to your head any more then if you aren't wearing the headset.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I'm surprised that thing still works! Those stop around channel 160-something, right? It would be pre-merge, right? So what does the channel lineup look like?

Meanwhile, I have two options:
1) Internet
2) SiriusXM Onyx Plus.

IndustrialH

"Not dead... just resting"
I'm surprised that thing still works! Those stop around channel 160-something, right? It would be pre-merge, right? So what does the channel lineup look like?

Meanwhile, I have two options:
1) Internet
2) SiriusXM Onyx Plus.

The Xact is in mint condition - I think the previous owner hardly used it. $C4 and tax was a bargain - had to get a car bracket for it - but that was no biggie - my girlfriend never goes higher than the Sinatra Channel so its perfect for her, and the stronger FM out works fine in this town :)

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
Damn, 2005, I have visions of intrigue, wires, long antenna wires unnaturally running through house windows, fm adapters that sounded like crap, and blue screens, that got extremely hot. Those were fun times when nobody knew what I had in the car and house.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
You're right. I just canceled my mom's Inno. She had the belkin white boombox. We rocked those hard. She got a car with sirius for 3 months and plans to re-up. She likes the app function, and I can listen to it now for free.

Reactions: IndustrialH

IndustrialH

"Not dead... just resting"
Ok ..... so all of a sudden the Xact XTR3CK is defaulting to 184 when it powers on. Gave it a factory reset - set two presets - tried powering it down before turning the vehicle off - still goes to 184 - all the other channels are fine. Luckily 6 is my girlfriends favourite - but it is annoying. Since its an older still active unit I can't send a hit :-( I read all the posts from last decade but nothing there I could use.