The G2 is fragile

Locnar

Jun 9, 2009
Well, I was enjoying my new G2 and Slacker service. My G2 fell off my desk about 2 feet onto a carpeted floor. Now the screen is cracked and the home button does not work. I realize that I did drop it, but wow this thing is fragile. I'm pretty sure my ipod could have survived that without a scratch. Just a warning to others I guess. I did contact Slacker but I of course realize this type of damage is not covered by warranty. :(

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Wow that thing must have hit just right to do that, I've had mine fall off the top of my car onto concrete and it was not harmed at all. I have read of others cracking the display with it in their pockets though. So, there seems to be a stress point to these displays and if it landed a certain way it probably did the deed. Mine fortunately laded on the back and not the display itself. Plus at the time I had the rubber belt clip on it.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Wow that thing must have hit just right to do that, I've had mine fall off the top of my car onto concrete and it was not harmed at all. I have read of others cracking the display with it in their pockets though. So, there seems to be a stress point to these displays and if it landed a certain way it probably did the deed. Mine fortunately laded on the back and not the display itself. Plus at the time I had the rubber belt clip on it.

The belt clip would have taken most of the impact. I think this outlines why you should have a case or cover on all electrontics. I bet even an Invisible Shield would take some stress off the display.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Actually, I did have the beltclip/rubber case on.

Yeah the one for the G2 doesn't really do much protecting. It may protect the back and the sides, but if your G2 landed directly on the display... T-O-A-S-T!

Unless you have a fully enclosed case this is apt to happen, most don't buy fully enclosed cases as they want to be able to see the display. So often times you just take your chances. I have a neoprene case that I keep mine in when not using it now days, this gives it some protection, but again a direct blast against that display even in a neoprene case may not have stopped it. But one should do what they can to protect their devices, I do the same with my iPod Touch!