The Fact Of The Matter Is....

Discussion in 'Howard Stern' started by Ifandorbut, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Ifandorbut

Ifandorbut Well-Known Member

It's been three years to the day since Howard started broadcasting on Sirius satellite radio. In that time a lot of great radio has been made, a lot of profanity has been unleashed and the dump button has only been used sparingly. I felt that although Howard wasn't in live to do a show on his third anniversary, it should be noted on this message board what the cold hard facts were concerning what has transpired in those three years.

No judgments...no axes to grind...just the facts of the matter....

2006: 179 live shows

2007: 169 live shows

2008: 164 live shows

2009: 4 live shows

Total: 516 live shows

In 2006 there were 2 practice shows in January that I haven't included into the totals, 1 Film Festival live show that wasn't actually a "proper show", also not included. There were 17 Friday Shows and 18 Master Tape Theater episodes, all not included in the overall totals.

In 2007 there were 53 Master Tape Theater episodes not included in the totals. There was also 2 Spotlight Specials; one on Billy West that ran two days and the other on Jackie Martling, which also ran 2 days. Both specials were repeated later that year.
    There were 8 Mammary Lane shows.
    The year also featured an entire 5 day week of Staff Picks with 1 day of Fan Picks. There was a 2 day special on the London Shows. There was a 2 day special featuring the Music from the Howard Stern Show along with a 1 day special centered around the Music and Guests of the Beatles. They also featured a 4 day special called Roast Week as well as a 4 day special called Sports Week.
    There was a Ralph Cirella Thanksgiving Day Special and a Labor Day Tapes Blowout all request show. They rounded out the year with the first installment of the 5 day special, "The History of Howard Stern". None of these shows are included in the overall total of live shows.

In 2008 there was 25 Master Tape episodes before Sirius started to rerun all of the past Master Tape Shows. There was also 4 Mammary Lane shows. There was 1 day of Fan Favorites. There was a 2 day Spotlight Special on Stuttering John. A 2 day special called "The Legends of Laughter" featuring Bob Levy. There was a 4 day special with Dracula Gottfried. There was another 4 day special called Game Show Week. Sirius also put together 4 days of The Best of 2008 along with 4 days of programming called Sirius Best Of. There was also a 4 day special on the Evolution of the Losers. There was a 1 day special called All Apologies along with a 1 day special called The Berry Best of Ralph Cirella. Sirius reran The History of Howard Stern twice that year for a total of 12 days and played The History of Howard Stern, Act Two for 8 days.

So far, in 2009 there has been 2 days of The History of Howard Stern, Act Two.

semipenguin, tsave31 and jamesp717 like this.
  2. Elwood

Elwood Member

Nice stats!

It would be interesting to know how much non-show original content has been aired, Bubba, Riley, Jackie, etc. I will require this before I grade your thesis :)

Now, who wants to reach back to testical days and compare live vs. tape?

3. jamesp717

jamesp717 Member

Hey Now

Great post.

What I found most interesting is that Howard didn't show up on this third anniversary to do a show.

I mean he will only get 5 and to not acknowledge it is a bit of a disappointment.

4. jef

jef Power Pig, Hello!

You have this checkmarked on your calendar?!?! ;)

I'd be curious to know how it equals in actual hours on the air. In other words, to see how many hours per year on terrestrial with the massive commercials compared to Sirius with fewer. Harder to gather those numbers though - and I'm sure the time decreased on terrestrial as the years passed.

Oh, speaking of MTT, Ifandorbut, I believe you are a big fan, no? Not sure if you were aware yet, and haven't noticed a thread here on it, but I heard a commercial on 100 last night for a new season on it coming soon, supposedly with new episodes.

5. hank-the-dwarf

hank-the-dwarf Well-Known Member

They did sort of acknowledge it on the WUS thrusday before or after telling the postal worker to cancel and he would never make 500 mill

6. Chob

Chob Well-Known Member

That's a hell of a post. And too compile all that you must have way more patience than I. :jj:

7. Jleimer

Jleimer Active Member

That is one interesting post there , and I bet the reduction in shows in 09 continues.

8. ProperModulation

ProperModulation Green Type of Tube

So I spent over 900 hours listening to the main show and wrapup show last year? That's like 38 straight days. Good lord...

:)

9. AJ_II

AJ_II Well-Known Member

Yeah it's pretty crazy. I know the vast majority of Howard fans want more live shows (Fridays), but I can hardly keep up as it is now.

Nice thread, packie. :clap:

10. tsave31

tsave31 Member

Very well done. Interesting to see the progression.

11. Ifandorbut

I'm a fan of those years and yes I am very much looking forward to hearing NEW Master Tape episodes. Tim Sybian said on a Super Fan Round Table a couple of months ago that new Master Tape's would be airing once the second act of HOHS aired. I didn't hear the commercial that you mentioned, but I would assume that either tomorrow or next weekend would be when they start up again.

By the way...all of this info was from a wall calendar I kept. My handwriting is terrible, so I did double check it against Marksfriggin. If there is any error in the stats, it would be from my horrific math skills.

Here's hoping we have at least another 160 shows this year.;)

12. robhurlburt

robhurlburt Well-Known Member

very interesting, and very unsurprising:rofl2:

13. TheScionicMan

TheScionicMan Last non-Hating Stern Fan

So a five hour show is still cheaper than 1 song on iTunes. Seems like a bargain to me.

365-104(weekends)=261-50(vacation)=211-50(fridays)=161

We are actually getting MORE shows than we should... Not including all of the other programming you mentioned and the stuff you didn't (Bubba, Ferrell, etc) or the rest of Sirius...

Thanks for putting things in perspective, packie.

14. Grüpsaar

Grüpsaar DRC Forum Bum

I looked through, maybe I missed it, is the ISDN test show from 08 and the artie roast where they came back in at night marked down? Not sure if those count.

15. Ifandorbut

I wrote down the two practice(ISDN) shows as not being part of the overall live shows total. The Artie Roast was counted as part of the overall totals. They did two shows on the roast day, which should be the record for the amount of hours in a 24 hour period they produced live material. I'm guessing it would have been roughly ten hours of show.

16. RDog

RDog Well-Known Member

Great stats, thank you. Despite the slight decline in new shows each year, the numbers are essentially comparable overall. Howard has a way of revising history and will probably continue to tow the "We came to Sirius to create original shows when we're not here" line as an excuse, really, not to be there all the time. I don't know why, but I get the feeling there are going to be major changes to the show this year. I can't back it up with anything other than a feeling. So, whether it's Artie leaving for good, I think whatever happens there will be plenty more MTT and specials to make up for the difference.

17. TheScionicMan

TheScionicMan Last non-Hating Stern Fan

Do you guys hate teachers as much as Howard? They only work 180 days a year and we pay their salary too...

18. Jleimer

Jleimer Active Member

Uh no because they do a better job then Howard is doing lately

19. Forevernever

Forevernever Active Member

I don't hate them (or Howard), but yes, I think the school year should be a full calendar year instead of being based on an anachronistic, agrarian tradition. But I digress.

20. RDog

RDog Well-Known Member

My teacher friends are not unlike Howard, in that every conversation about teaching always consists about how they are soooooo busy and have noooooo free time (like Howard), of course they don't mention their 3 months off or consider that EVERYONE considers themselves sooooo busy and have nooooo free time... :)

:rolleyes: