The deadline for mandatory channel leasing has come.

jwt873

Oct 12, 2008
As part of the merger, Sirius/XM was told by the FCC that they must lease 4 percent of their channels to third party interests. This was to be done by November 28th 2008, but was extended by the FCC to February 27th, 2009 (today!)

Has anyone heard which channels will be surrendered for this third party broadcasting and/or which third party companies will be using Sirius/XM bandwidth?

FCC Extends Deadline For Sirius XM To Lease Channels

WASHINGTON -- December 1, 2008: Sirius XM Radio had until November 28 -- four months after the XM-Sirius merger that created the company was approved by the FCC -- to lease 4 percent of their channels to qualfied third parties, but the FCC's Media Bureau has now, on its own motion, extended that deadline to February 27, 2009.

As a condition of their merger, XM Satellite Radio and Sirius Satellite Radio voluntarily agreed to put 4 percent of their full-time channels in the hands of qualified third parties through long-term leases or other agreements.

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
The FCC's demands were laughable and I'm sure Sirius agreed to them under the impression that they couldn't really enforce this when they are FLAT BROKE.

syphix

Oct 15, 2008
From everything I've read, it's the FCC that's dragging its feet on this, not SIRIUS XM.

TheScionicMan

Last non-Hating Stern Fan
Oct 11, 2008
The extension was for the FCC to get the rules and conditions,etc in place. Haven't heard anything from them so I'm guessing its not SiriusXM stalling the process...

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
XM136 may be the first one.

I want to know which channels they are so I know which ones I need to block from my receivers. I am fundementally apposed to this stupid waste of bandwidth.

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
XM136 may be the first one.

I want to know which channels they are so I know which ones I need to block from my receivers. I am fundementally apposed to this stupid waste of bandwidth.

If 136 is one, then it's actually pretty good. Granted, it's not full-time yet, but I find it to be a great and unique channel.

kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I'm sure a lot of people will block these channels.

But if Sirius is leasing these channels, doesn't that mean more income? The way I see it, they're giving these organizations a channel, just like they've done for AC/DC, Paul McCartney, Elvis, Bruce Springsteen, Metallica (XM had a channel for them) and any number of groups.

If you don't listen to the channel, no one at Sirius XM really cares. But, at the end of the day, wouldn't someone be paying Sirius XM for the channels?

If they're paying for a channel AND bringing in new subscribers, it could only be double a good thing, right? (Financially speaking, of course.)

VinnyM27

Oct 14, 2008
I'm sure a lot of people will block these channels.

But if Sirius is leasing these channels, doesn't that mean more income? The way I see it, they're giving these organizations a channel, just like they've done for AC/DC, Paul McCartney, Elvis, Bruce Springsteen, Metallica (XM had a channel for them) and any number of groups.

If you don't listen to the channel, no one at Sirius XM really cares. But, at the end of the day, wouldn't someone be paying Sirius XM for the channels?

If they're paying for a channel AND bringing in new subscribers, it could only be double a good thing, right? (Financially speaking, of course.)

that's what I think so why not. I wouldn't be shocked if the leased channels turn out to have better content than Sirius is churning out lately. Hopefully they won't subject us to single artists channels....and at least if the artist/label is paying Sirius/XM for the use of the bandwith, might make sense.

TheScionicMan

Last non-Hating Stern Fan
Oct 11, 2008
And if the bandwidth to provide them costs us channels that people DO listen to, then yeah, its a problem.