The Brian France press conferences

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Im not sure what the boys are saying about ole Brian on the Sirius shows, but there are media outlets that are showing him no mercy.

I do love David's line from his blog, "Race teams are fighting for survival and NASCAR management either doesn't care or doesn't have any good ideas on how to help them"

This is to David, I know your inside the heart of the sport and rarely get a chance to sit back and look at it from the outside, but that very quote is what Nascar (as a sanctioning body I should add) has been all about the last 5 years since Brian took over. Not caring or not knowing. Example, California Speedway is a laughing stock of the racing community? They either dont care, or dont know how to fix it.

The fix to help stuggling teams is so god damn easy its sick. Nascar needs to get off their piles of money, their fat lazy asses, and spread some the wealth to the teams that made them rich in the first place. Brian France must be seriously handicapped to come out and say, There is nothing we can do. How about you take some of that TV money and put it into the purses, how about you take some of your offical sponsers and "suggest" to them that sponsering a team would be good for them too. How about working with tracks by lowering their sanctioning fees so they can charge less so more people will show up so the purses will be bigger. Nascar will still make money, the teams may survive through this crisis, and maybe we will have full fields for all the races next year.

But this is whats going to happen because the people that run Nascar are money hungry ogres who dont know/give a flying crap about what happens to the people that make them rich. Theyre going to do nothing, teams are going to fold, your going to have field fillers, and the sporting world will look at us like a joke even more than they already do. Nascar as an organization makes me sick with how inept and delusional they are to the problems inside their garage area. Brian can hold all the press conferences he wants, but he sucks at his job and has shown over and over and over he has no business being in the position he is in.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
It reminds me of congress actually. Run the program into the dirt then get a bail-out from the "little people". (the fans) And no money leaves his pocket. It's a great gig if you can get it. ;)

But it's not all Brian's fault. These track owners need to lighten up as well. How many tracks make the fan buy "packages" instead of just being able to buy one ticket for the one race they want to see? So many tracks have so many restrictions, the can and can't do's, that many long timers can't or just don't go there anymore.

Let's get the UAW to bail out nascar like they ought to do with the auto industry since they're a major reason the industry is dying.

SubmarineMike

Oct 14, 2008
Jacksonville Fl
The problem is NASCAR set a precedent a LONG time ago with establishing the drivers as independent contractors. Which in turn makes the team owners indepenent contractors. By law NASCAR doesn't have to help anyone. Now Dexter do I agree with you in theory yes. Do I agree that it was stupid of NASCAR to make it so that no other wireless carriers could sponsor a team, or insurance companies in the nationwide series.. yes. Should they have taken less money or less years on the contract with Nextel(at the time of the deal), just so they can support the owners, sure. We however live in a free enterprise system(for now we'll see after Jan 20th when the wealth spreading begins LOL). It's the team owners job to do what you said and support themselves. Like it or not.

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
"These track owners need to lighten up as well"

You know what the kicker of that statement is? The France family owns half the tracks lol. But I can only think of 2 tracks that sell the track packs. Chicago and Kansas. I know Phoenix and Miami dont make you buy the whole weekend.

The independent contractor line is great when the economy is great, the sport is thriving and everyone is making money. Im fine with Nascar gettting all it can get in terms of contracts when everything is going great. But im saying, right now, as os November 17th Nascar should be looking at doing whatever it takes to make sure teams survive this mess. The "team owners are independent contractors" is a dont know/dont care what happens to you kind of attitude.

Easy Money

Oct 25, 2008
MS
www.myspace.com
Its always been about the money, and always will be. But I believe also that Brian has no clue what he's doing. I think Mike Helton would be better in that position. If you wanna see something sickening, dig around on nascar.com and look at how many big titles there are that Im sure come with huge salaries. It will blow your mind!
As for the tracks, I have an example of screwing over us. We bought a $50 pit pass at Talladega in October. They dont explain much about it, but they will tell you its not a hot pass. No problem, wasnt expecting it to be one anyway. We go to the gate to cross the track and start walking down pit road. My wife and sister in law get a few autographs along the way, once we get about halfway down I guess, the access is stopped and you cant proceed any farther. So for $50 you get to tour HALF of pit rd with no cars or anything other than the teams setting up the equipment! It was a joke and I will tell everyone not to waste their money!

Sirius01_8

Oct 14, 2008
I know Bristol, if you can get tickets, makes you buy the Nationwide and Cup ticket packages. I'm pretty sure that for the last few years all the SMI tracks are this way for new ticket holders, or ones that have bought tickets recently.

Easy Money

Oct 25, 2008
MS
www.myspace.com
I know Bristol, if you can get tickets, makes you buy the Nationwide and Cup ticket packages. I'm pretty sure that for the last few years all the SMI tracks are this way for new ticket holders, or ones that have bought tickets recently.

Thats what I like about buying from individuals or ebay, you can usually get only what you want. These tracks rip us a new one on everything. But hey, we're the ones to blame. We keep on keeping on!:rolleyes:

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
I dont get what is the law? I understand that is their position, I understand they are not required or obligated to help, but if they want to give person x anything they want, they can pretty much do that.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
If you want to see fans being ripped off look to the NFL. Or I should say the stadiums/team owners. Those PSL's are a joke. You pay that THEN you pay the hundreds for your seats.

When the Titans were coming to nashville I was going to get seats, then I saw that con-game called PSL's and said forget it.

People are spending THOUSANDS to go to NFL games. But that whole system may have to change soon and I hope it does. I know many people are getting together with friends and family to split the cost and some view it as an investment. Unless you're a Lions fan. :p

SubmarineMike

Oct 14, 2008
Jacksonville Fl
It's the law because they established the fact that the owners and drivers are independant contractors. We can say that the "right thing" is for NASCAR to help the teams. The only Legal right thing is NASCAR doesn't have to do anything period. That is the only right thing in the world of business.. the legal right thing. All sports are a business and always have been. All the people say it's not like it used to be big business is ruining the sport are WRONG. It's ALWAYS been about business, we just have more access to news about sports with ESPN, NASCAR radio and the such. Anybody that thinks otherwise is fooling themslef and that is a fact.

Last edited:

Easy Money

Oct 25, 2008
MS
www.myspace.com
Mike, you make some good points. I always hate to hear people say "They had to win to eat". No, they could have worked a regular job like most folks. Im glad they didnt, but they had options just like all of us. If you dont believe the Petty's had money back in the day your crazy! Not just them, but any of the guys who traveled all over the country back then. They may not have been multi millionaires as they are now, but they were doing a little better than most fans at that time. Who the hell could afford to drive to Riverside,CA back then! And the France family buying up everything under the sun back then proves that they weren't hurting either.
ITS ALWAYS BEEN ABOUT WHO HAS THE MONEY TO PLAY, AND NEXT YEAR, WE MAY SEE WHO HAS THE BIGGEST BALLS OF ALL!:rofl2:

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
Here's an idea. Only go to, or watch, races at racetracks owned by Bruton Smith! :p

There are many ways to give the one finger salute to the current nascar overlords. :rolleyes:

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
'good ole days"

To me the good old days in this sport were 1999-2002. The races were a lot more competitive and werent riddled with phantom debris cautions like they are now. There were more winners in a season, there were less drivers winning mass amounts of races, and there were more owners winning races. The coverage was a little different from network to network too. Now all the netowrks follow the Fox formula of the Hollywood Hotel, the chick pit reporters etc etc. To sum it up, there was more variety way way way back than there is now.

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
He pretty much echos the reason I started this thread. Brian France has no business running this sport. I know he has his supporters. And in fact id love to hear from people who defend him as leader of this sport. And please save the "Well back in the 70's people thought Bill Jr was an idiot too" Id love to hear what Brian France defenders believe Brian has done since 2003 that makes him a positive force in the head office.

Easy Money

Oct 25, 2008
MS
www.myspace.com
He pretty much echos the reason I started this thread. Brian France has no business running this sport. I know he has his supporters. And in fact id love to hear from people who defend him as leader of this sport. And please save the "Well back in the 70's people thought Bill Jr was an idiot too" Id love to hear what Brian France defenders believe Brian has done since 2003 that makes him a positive force in the head office.

What, no one stepping up? DM, I believe I hear the crickets chirpping ol pal.