The Best Team Ever ~ Or Are They Cheaters?

Ruaidh

Oct 15, 2008
I just read the following column by Kim Roberson and something dawned on me.

http://insiderracingnews.com/Writers/KR/112909.html

When you were in school your parents had you under constant scrutiny which usually resulted in higher marks, for the most part, correct?

You use the scrutiny to find your weak points and build on them to improve.

NASCAR has the 48 team under a very big magnifying glass all the time. Could they not use that same glass to improve their weak points and strengthen their strong points?

I think all the attention from NASCAR has worked in reverse. They get far more high grade technical feed back than, probably, any other team. They don't have to cheat, they find out, to a few ten-thousandths of an inch, exactly where the limits are. They take that back to the shop and work harder.

$.02

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
So you think all the time at the Nascar R&D center was really a chance to pick Nascar's brains (or lack there of) & make the 48 car as close to legal without going over? :scratch:
Posted via Mobile Device

Ruaidh

Oct 15, 2008
So you think all the time at the Nascar R&D center was really a chance to pick Nascar's brains (or lack there of) & make the 48 car as close to legal without going over? :scratch:
Posted via Mobile Device

Not necissarily the way you put it.
I don't think NASCAR pulls them in to let him do that but Chad is a genius.
You don't think he'd take just that opportunity, one that very few get to excercise?

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
As much as I'm not a fan of seeing them mop the floor with the competition every fall I'm going to have to say they fall under one of the greatest teams ever category.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
You have to be good to get your car inspected every week. Maybe there's something to that? :scratch:
Posted via Mobile Device

Ruaidh

Oct 15, 2008
I understand exactly what your saying, and wouldnt rule out anything.

But I dont get the title of your thread.

It's the title of the article I referred to. It got me thinking about how the high level of scrutiny they undergo would give them an advantage that few others get.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
It sounds like nothing more than hard work on team #48's account. I feel pretty certain that being under close scrutiny and still being able to pull off the 4-peat is a absolutely huge accomplishment in their eyes. I not a fan of theirs at all but I still have to applaud their success.

As far as cheating goes, how many times did they get busted for cheating this past season? The answer is zero. Is NASCAR letting things get by with that team that they wouldn't on others? What could NASCAR have to gain by having the #48 get a fourth straight championship? There's nothing that I can think of. What kind of boost does a #48, fourth straight title give NASCAR? Why not fix it so that the most popular driver wins his first? That makes more sense to me.

I heard Ray Evernham on Moody's show a week or so ago. Ray was talking about the #48 team and the dedication that it would take as a crew chief to beat that team. He basically said that as a crew chief you'd have to dedicate everything to that position, giving up family, friends, relationships and so on..... Maybe the other 42 aren't willing to do that yet? As long as that's the case, we may be only witnessing the beginning of the #48 dominance. Kinda scary to me!

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
What could NASCAR have to gain by having the #48 get a fourth straight championship? There's nothing that I can think of. What kind of boost does a #48, fourth straight title give NASCAR?

You have to think like nascar. The history. The super clean nice boy. The PR. Rick Hendrick. Advertising. MONEY.

I can't say the 48 is cheating but I have no doubt that they've found "something" that's not illegal.....yet. It just seems funny that when the chase starts the 48 suddenly takes it up a notch. They have an increase in performance that is not seen during the regular season much.

And I don't give ALL the credit the Chad either. There are other's on that team that contribute as well.