The Best Margaritas

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
I know this is typically considered a summer drink, but I have to post this. These are killer Margaritas. They take some planning and a little work but be warned. They're STRONG and will creep up on ya!! (Do the 24 hr method)

From COOK'S ILLUSTRATED:

Makes about 1 quart, serving 4 to 6.

The longer the zest and juice mixture is allowed to steep, the more developed the citrus flavors in the finished margaritas. We recommend steeping for the full 24 hours, although the margaritas will still be great if the mixture is steeped only for the minimum 4 hours. If you're in a rush and need to serve margaritas immediately, omit the zest and skip the steeping process altogether.

Ingredients

4 teaspoons grated lime zest
1/2 cup lime juice from 2 to 3 medium limes
4 teaspoons grated lemon zest
1/2 cup lemon juice from 2 to 3 medium lemons
1/4 cup superfine sugar
pinch table salt
2 cups crushed ice
1 cup 100 percent agave tequila , preferably Reposado
1 cup Triple Sec

Instructions

1. Combine lime zest and juice, lemon zest and juice, sugar, and salt in large liquid measuring cup; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until flavors meld, 4 to 24 hours.
  2. Divide 1 cup crushed ice between 4 or 6 margarita or double old-fashioned glasses. Strain juice mixture into 1-quart pitcher or cocktail shaker. Add tequila, Triple Sec, and remaining crushed ice; stir or shake until thoroughly combined and chilled, 20 to 60 seconds. Strain into ice-filled glasses; serve immediately.
:ter:

Last edited:

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Inaccurate. One quart of margarita doesn't serve 4 to 6.

I just throw Minute Made frozen limeade in the blender with tequilla, triple sec and ice. Trailer trash ritas, fast and tasty!

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
Inaccurate. One quart of margarita doesn't serve 4 to 6.

I just throw Minute Made frozen limeade in the blender with tequilla, triple sec and ice. Trailer trash ritas, fast and tasty!

LOL! I always make 2 quarts.

:p

kingchuck69

Joker! Joker! Joker!
Oct 11, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
chuck69.com
Everybody keep telling me that the best 'Margs are made at the Vasquez' Hacienda Restaurant in Elk Rapids, MI by Traverse City. I've compared, and I agree.

I worked there as a kid and I regularly go there during the summer, especially since the owners still love me to death. Not only do their Margaritas rock, but their burritos kick ass, too.

Just a suggestion in case you plan your next vacation "up north". ;)