The '09 NBA Playoffs - Discussion Thread

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
The playoffs are just a couple weeks away, so I figured I'd get a thread going for discussion. Here's a link with current first round match-ups (updated constantly) - NBA Basketball Playoff Matchups - National Basketball Association - ESPN

As a Rockets fan, I'd be perfectly fine with a first round series against Portland. Young and inexperienced in the playoffs, I think Houston could get by the Blazers. But I'd be content with anyone except the Jazz in the first round. They seem to have our number. Give me New Orleans, Denver, or Portland.

playoffs-logo.jpg

Reactions: semipenguin

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
I really don't like the Hornets chances of advancing past the first round if it's against the Spurs. :icon_eek:

Yeah I think you can pretty much pencil in both the Spurs and the Lakers to the second round no matter who they play in the first. I think it's very likely that they'll again meet in the Western Conference Finals. Unless San Antonio somehow manages to drops to the 4th seed, then they'd meet in the second round.

Well Aaron, the Hornets are up to 5th place now after their win last night against the Clippers. So....(even though the standings change daily)....we're looking at a first round match-up between Houston and New Orleans.

The freaking Rockets blew an opportunity to move past the Spurs in the standings last night, losing at Phoenix. Which isn't that bad a loss I guess, but I would've liked to see them take advantage of San Antonio's horrible loss to Oklahoma City.

AZJoe

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Just about impossible for my Suns to even get into the playoffs this season, over the past couple seasons they have made too many trades that were just not good for the team, disrupting one of the NBA's elite programs. Someone else needs to be let go - can you say GM?

Steel Cranium

Nov 12, 2008
NorthEast Ohio
Who's the Suns GM? Steve Kerr?...:confused:

Sometimes good ball players don't make good administrators...:worried:

:)

But sometimes the reverse is true. Danny Ferry for the Cavs has made some nice deals to bring in guys who fit well with Lebron. Takes some doing to break apart a team the year after making it to the finals, improving greatly along the way. Half of the guys he moved are out of the NBA. Others have been traded a few times since.

Danny Ferry playing for the Cavs took up a roster spot and spent a lot of cash. Similar to the Pistons gambling on Iverson, the Cavs took a chance on Ferry to put them over the top. Like Iverson, it didn't work. He's probably best known for laying an elbow into Jordan's head (... you don't tug on superman's cape...).

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
Last edited by a moderator:

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
It would be nice for my Sixers to jump over Atlanta to get the home court in round one. We are two games behind in the loss column. Atl. has 6 games, we have 8. Either way, that should be a good 1st round matchup. (4 vs 5)

More likely that they fall to the 6th seed than climb to the 4th. Right now they're just percentage points ahead of the Heat. If Philly loses today (vs. Detroit) then Miami leap frogs them to the 5 seed.

Steel Cranium

Nov 12, 2008
NorthEast Ohio
It would be nice if we got that 5th spot. (1 game behind Miami)

gosixers2

Will be tough. Two of the last four against Cleveland, with the last game at Cle looking for their 40th at home (as long as they can get past Boston for 39). Best thing that can happen for the sixers is for the lakers to lose a few of their last games to let Cleveland sit some starters the last few games.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
There's a three-way tie between the Spurs, Rockets, and Blazers in the West. They all sit at 50-28 after Portland's win over San Antonio last night. Getting that third seed is crucial since it would mean avoiding the Lakers in the second round.

With the loss of Ginobili, I think San Antonio's odd-year championship streak will come to an end ('03, '05, and '07).

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
There's a three-way tie between the Spurs, Rockets, and Blazers in the West.

And the Rockets take a 1/2 game lead over both Portland and San Antonio, beating the worst team in the NBA last night 115-98 (Sacramento). Hopefully the game tonight against Golden State goes the way it should, but you never know in the second night of a back-to-back. Portland has LA tonight at home and San Antonio plays Utah at home as well....so, two possible losses there.

The third seed sounds nice since that would mean avoiding LA in the second round, but first things first for Houston. GET OUT OF THE FIRST ROUND!!! Which ever seed they end up getting, I just hope they don't end up drawing the Jazz. Please, ANYONE else besides Utah!