That great Yoko Ono song

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
That conversation cracked me up! Man! She's one weird, WEIRD lady.

Here's her performance, for your enjoyment. :shifty:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjO_wmxdYBQ]YouTube - Yoko Ono Plastic Ono Band - Featuring Sean Lennon[/ame]

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
:p The word that first came to mind was "caterwauling".

Man! That's dreadful.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
The music part of it isn't so bad, I kind of like it, but her singing....eh...not really a fan of improvisational avant garde, not my thing.

beaniemac

Dec 12, 2008
Chi-Town (South Side)
man, that sh*t is awful. I didn't know that george harrison, eric clapton, and keith moon were all part of the plastic ono band. my how the talent level of this group has fallen.........

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
man, that sh*t is awful. I didn't know that george harrison, eric clapton, and keith moon were all part of the plastic ono band. my how the talent level of this group has fallen.........

The band consisted of whomever was around at the time. John tried his hardest, even up until hours before he died, in trying to legitimize Yoko to the masses. He wanted to have different artists record her material as a tribute to her, but he never lived long enough to do that.

It's a tough gig to have to live up to the comparisons of Keith Moon, Clapton and George Harrison, not to mention the dozens of musicians that most people would never have heard of...I think Sean has turned into a competent guitar player. He's trying to basically do what his father tried to do. That's a boy who loves his mama....I can't fault him at all for that.

Wayne Edwards

Oct 13, 2008
The band consisted of whomever was around at the time.

True..in fact that whole artsy concept of Plastic Ono Band was anybody who wanted to consider themselves a member of the band could do so. When "Give Peace A Chance" came out in 1969, the ads read "YOU are The Plastic Ono Band".

However...

Their original and only studio album credited to "John Lennon/ Plastic Ono Band" album consisted of John with Ringo Starr and Klaus Voormann. That's it, unless you count Billy Preston and Phil Spector who played keyboard on one song each ("God" and "Love", respectively).
That album was so minimalist, so personal, so intense and so good that to this day anytime I'm feeling down and have some time I play the album from start to finish and then, like magic, I don't feel so bad. Try it!

For me there has never been a better rock and roll album. It beats Sgt. Pepper, Pet Sounds, Nevermind, London Calling, Highway 61 Revisited, Are You Experienced...all of 'em. But maybe that's just me.

Back to Yoko's new song. I agree with you, Ifandorbut. The music part is fine, and kind of reminds me of the musical style on that first Plastic Ono Band album. But I just never got into the avant garde squealing/singing she does:eek:. Yet she did sing some decent songs.

Here's a pre-squealing Yoko. She may not have the greatest voice and this won't convert anybody, but I like this song, although admittedly because it sounds an awful lot like John heped her with the music: (NSFW)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UzdlWj85Yc&feature=PlayList&p=572C12D736224552&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=62]YouTube - Yoko Ono: "Remember Love" (1969)[/ame]