That ARCA Race

Discussion in 'NASCAR' started by dpkimmel2001, Feb 8, 2009.

1. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Well-Known Member

Did you watch it? WTF are those guys doing @ Daytona? We're probably lucky that we didn't see another on-track death yesterday afternoon. Don't they have the same rule when it comes to caution flags? When the caution comes out, aren't they supposed to start slowing down because the field is locked in at that point? These guys appear to be plowing people at full speed well after the initial accident has occurred. I don't get it. :bigahh:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  2. antsie

antsie Well-Known Member

I watched it and thought the same thing. Wrecks are all over and this one guy just went, what seemed like, full speed and nailed a car.

I was surpirsed the announcers didn't comment on that, so I'm not sure if they don't treat cautions the same as other series, if they don't, that race should prove they should!

3. dpkimmel2001

I'm sure that someone knows the answer to this. Wasn't it in an ARCA practice or race a few years ago where a similar wreck occurred and the driver was killed as a result of being t-boned well after the caution was thrown? I know it's racing and it is dangerous but come on, these are totally unnecessary events.

4. PPistone

PPistone Member

That is correct and there was also an incident when a safety worker was fatally inured as well. ARCA on these plate tracks is not a wise mix in my opinion.

Pete Pistone

5. semipenguin

semipenguin Cheeseburger Connoisseur

There was an accident at Bristol involving two ARCA drivers back in 2003 in which ARCA driver, Eric Martin, was killed because of being t-boned by Deborah Renshaw...:worried:

Deborah Renshaw - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What it doesn't say in the wiki page is that this accident occurred during ARCA Practice, and at that time, ARCA drivers were allowed to practice without spotters. Renshaw had no idea a car had spun out and came around a corner and hit Martin's car...:shock:

They changed the rules right after that. I remember it so well because it was covered on NASCAR Radio. Even though it wasn't a NASCAR accident, Claire B. and Tim Farley covered the event very well.

6. dpkimmel2001

That's exactly the incident that I was thinking it was but I thought that the caution was out well ahead of her hitting his car, spotter or no spotter. I can just remember at the time that I saw a replay of the incident that I could not believe that she had never slowed down. I had the same feeling yesterday watching that ARCA race. Not the last wreck but one earlier I counted around eight seconds from the time the yellow came out before one of the drivers absolutely plowed another driver on the track. Yes, I know they are moving pretty fast but eight seconds is an awful lot of time not to have decreased in speed. IMO the ARCA series should not be racing at this track, period. Some can handle it, many can't.

7. semipenguin

I'm sure that if they had spotters during practice at that time, Renshaw would have had someone tell her to slow down and go high or low to avoid the stopped car of Martin's...:worried:

8. riskybzns

riskybzns Well-Known Member

i couldn't have said it any better, pete.

9. mghtx

mghtx 2000 Man

There's a lot that isn't said on Wiki pages....and a lot that's said is incorrect. A lot depends on the person's motivation for uploading info to wiki.

Always take wiki with a grain of salt. (and maybe some garlic. :rolleyes: )

10. semipenguin

For the most part, that account of the wreck that killed Eric Martin is correct. It is something I remember vividly and know I'll never forget. It must have devastated Deborah Renshaw...:worried:

11. DexterMorgan

DexterMorgan Active Member

I remember when Arca ran at Atlanta, every cup broadcast had a rundown of the guys in the hospital or the morgue. Its better than it is now because the cars are better built than they used to be, but this crap is unwatchable. There are some cars 3-5 seconds a lap slower.

12. dpkimmel2001

Probably more so, Brian and Matt Martin. :(

13. DexterMorgan

I remember the headline on thatsracing.com when Eric Martin died. Suffice to say, as a Mark Martin fan I nearly had a heart attack.

14. dpkimmel2001

Poole made a great comment on this race this morning. He stated that these ARCA drivers need to sit down and watch a replay of Gordon avoiding one of the big wrecks on Saturday night before being allowed to race. One heck of a good move, actually several good moves to avoid that one!

15. antsie

antsie Well-Known Member

Gordon's move was sweet!!!

16. dpkimmel2001

That had to have looked like a scene from the Days of Thunder movie from the drivers seat! Those moves were unreal, like the movie. :yesshake:

17. DexterMorgan

There are guys in ARCA who should have their racing licence revoked. I cant believe NascISC would let these liabilities race on their race tracks. When people die in this series, isnt the track somewhat held responsible?

18. dpkimmel2001

I would think that any of the liability is waved on the entry form. :idunno: