Tell us your G1 Experiences! How does it compare to the G2 if you own one?

Discussion in 'Slacker Radio' started by DAB, Jan 7, 2009.

1. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Thus far I have setup 4 of the G1's and all have worked perfectly. The key is to make sure the battery is well charged because a couple of the ones I set up was almost depleted. So, I charged them up a bit before I did the first refresh so that when I rebooted that it would have enough battery power to do the firmware update.

I am very happy with the G1 and for the money saved this will work out pretty well. I almost wish I could return my G2, but since I can't, I'll hold on to it and use it for on the go since it is smaller. I like my G2 as well and it will get plenty use by me as well.

I really like the larger screen of the G1, but I have had a few times when the device was on full bright even though in the menu I have it set the the lowest setting. If I hit a button it go back down the lower setting. Just a little bug I guess. I really like the bigger text for reading song info and even the stations and artist bio stuff.

In regards to the G2 having the volume normalization that is a great feature, but thus far using the G1 I've not seen a huge difference in volumes except a couple of times. I never use the equalizer so not having that makes little difference. SQ wise I my years can detect no real difference. Music selections (artist/songs) between the devices seem the same on the stations.

Now in terms of the button lay out and just normal use, I will say I have to give the G2 a thumbs up. I have to some degree after taking the G1 with me for a full day found the buttons rather awkward and I can see why they moved them to the front of the device.

Thus far connecting via wifi, refreshing, installing the update and using the G1 has worked perfectly with no issues. It actually mirrors my experience with my G2 in this area.

So now you've got your G1, share your experiences with us? Do you have a G2 as well, how does it compare? I look forward to your responses!

2. lronglien

lronglien Member

G1

My girlfriend has the G1 in the family. She uses it with an Sony HD radio set up I purchased her. So far, so good. She really likes the size of it and the selections. She's not too into tech, but she said the Slacker was better than the iPod. I offered to buy two more for her children for Christmas, but they didn't want them...UNTIL mom broke hers out...now...guess what?? I'll have to wait hoping they are WOOTED again.

3. DoublEE

DoublEE Active Member

I hate to say it but it's been buggy. I'm on the Slacker chat line with CharlesB as we speak trying to get some refresh issues resolved.

The bigger screen is nice but the controls layout is....well...retarded and the unit itself doesn't have the same quality feel as the G2. It feels cheap and plastic-ey like a calculator from CVS.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  4. DoublEE

DoublEE Active Member

Well it seems that the G1 didn't like my routers default IP address. Manually changing seems to have solved the issue. It's still too early to tell.

5. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Well mine has been stable thus far as I said above, but I did notice today on one of my channels that that the lack of volume normalization was very evident. Yesterday the channel I listened too it didn't seem very remarkable, but today I have really noticed it over the G2.

Anyway. I agree with you Eric on the button layout which I had mentioned in my original post. Another thing I noticed is when I hit the pause button it sometimes doesn't pause, but the display will say paused. Then you hit it again and the pause on the display goes away and yet there is no sound. Hit pause again it then seems okay. I've had this happen a couple of times today.

So, well see!

6. TX WJ

TX WJ Intelligent Donkey

I got home tonight after 6:00 PM and finally got to play with mine.

Since I was out of town I had the wife open it up and charge it for me.

Got home tonight, put in the wifi sec code, out device number on my account, set it up to transfer one of my custom stations (TEXAS) and it downloaded it in a few minutes, along with new firmware. I added 25 more stations and it is downloading them now.

This thing is really really light.:churn:

7. greggdogg

greggdogg New Member

I am such a Sirius convert....

Wife got me a G2, which is great. She liked it so much that she got herself a G1 (woot!).

The G1 has a great screen going for it, and that's about all. It's buggy as hell. For some reason she put 21 stations on it (all crap, mind you). I expected the initial refresh to be long, but not to crap out so many times. It loaded 5 stations and wouldn't refresh beyond that until I reset it a few times. The button layout is counterintuitive.

The G2 has the feeling of a competitive music device. The G1 has a "not ready for prime-time" feel for it.

That said, $70 for the 8GB G1 is a steal. :)

EDIT: What gets me is how many dedicated SBS people and Sirius loyalists are here on the Slacker forums. I'm looking at you, DAB and TXWJ.

8. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Well I have to say I've been using the G1 a great deal and the more I use this thing the more buggy is seems to become. I have said on a couple of occasions that I wish I could return my G2, but I have to totally withdraw that statement now. The G2 while not perfect (recent signing in issue caused a factory reset) it is certainly more stable than the G1.

The issues I have is that the buttons on the devices just don't appear responsive. I have had to heart or ban sometimes 2 or 3 times to get it to actually do it. Even then it is slow and to process the request. I also find the pause button to be horrible, sometimes it will give indications on the display that it is paused, but the player is still playing music. Hit pause again and it quits playing and now the paused indicator on the display is gone.

I am thinking about doing the restore on this thing and see if that makes any REAL difference, but I have a feeling WYSIWYG when it comes to the G1.

In regards to playing music and having that nice big display those are the pluses and I guess I could live with the sluggish response and buttons that fail to actually respond when pushed, but I keep telling myself I got this thing really cheap. There is part of me that says I should just put it on Ebay and be done with it. But I almost hate unloading it like that, but considering that Slacker and Woot unloaded them on us having full knowledge of how they work, it just means I have more of a conscious than they do.

I talked to the folks I gave these things to for Christmas and none of them say they are having the issues I am having. So, I am hopeful that a recovery will do the trick. Again I just love the big display. So we'll see. You guys that have the G1 share your experience with the performance of the device.

9. KHill

KHill New Member

My G1 has only one glitch. The battery metter isn't reading fully chraged. I'm doing a battery meter calibration now. I don't find my G1 anymore sluggish than my G2. I've had the exact same pause button issue that DAB was talking about on my G2 happen a couple of times. My buttons work fine on my G1. When I heart or ban a song, all it takes is one push.

Hopefully a recovery will help your G1 DAB. Now that I have the G1 and Slacker on my BlackBerry, my G2 is definitly going back.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  10. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Well my G1 continued to just get worse and worse as the day went on yesterday. Freezing up during music playback and it would freeze up at the end of refreshing just one channel. The only thing I could do was a hard shut down and then it would do the same thing again when I went back to refresh. It kept going right back to the 80 station and trying to refresh it.

Last night I bit the bullet and decided to try to do a factory reset first before diving into doing a factory recovery. I was at wits end and about to slam this darn thing against a wall. It took it forever do to the factory reset I know it was a good 30 minutes if not longer before it finished. I don't know that just seems like a long time to me.

Once it completed I had to enter my Wifi setup info again and it connected to Slacker. I went in and reduced the number of channels on the web portable setup so I could test this thing out without having to wait hours. Anyway I added just 4 channels. Well it refreshed them all without hanging and then I played it for while. Now the pause button, ban and heart buttons appear responsive without any major lagging. So, I added the rest of my channels back on the web portable setup. Then I hit connect and it connected once again, but much quicker than in the past. It started downloading my additional channels and got through one of them just fine, so I had hope and went to bed. Got up this morning and it was so good to see that your Slacker has finished refreshing screen. So it seems to be working okay now.

Hopefully it continues to work without issue. I plan to use it through out the day so we'll see.

11. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

My G1 has performed without issue since I did the factory reset. However, I have decided since I have the Slacker App for my iPod Touch that I just didn't need to G1. I put it on Ebay last night and it sold in a matter of hours. So, I am no longer the owner of a Slacker G1.

Now my attention will be on my Slacker G2 with home docks and my iPod Touch with Slacker, Pandora and soon the uSirius App. This is a perfect setup for me. I can stream my Slacker music via my iPod Touch when at home and at the office. Use my G2 while in the car or away from Wifi. Life is Good! :)

12. KHill

KHill New Member

My G1 also sold with in hours. I had an issue with Slacker support that made me make the decision to get rid of it.