Talladega: A Second Opinion

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Interesting post from Ramsey Poston, NASCAR Managing Director of Corporate Communications. I'm sure that line is enough for many of you to start flaming just the mention of anyone from NASCAR saying anything. LOL Anyhow I thought it was an interesting view on the television coverage of last weeks race along with quotes from some drivers about bumpdrafting and safety.

Talladega, Second Opinion

Last edited:

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
There were 58 lead changes among 25 drivers. According to the Loop Data, which electronically registers every car around the track, there was 13,438 passes among the 43 drivers.

That doesn't mean anything to me since it was 'dega.

Interestingly, a caller on Sirius NASCAR Satellite Radio this morning said that he first watched the race on ABC then listened to the MRN rebroadcast and said, "It was like two different races," referring to the excitement and action portrayed on the radio broadcast.

Radio usually is more exciting because the play-by-play caller can make it sound that way. And the listener isn't seeing what's actually taking place so a picture is formed in the mind. Not saying that's bad.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Radio usually is more exciting because the play-by-play caller can make it sound that way. And the listener isn't seeing what's actually taking place so a picture is formed in the mind. Not saying that's bad.

That, and they're describing what is actually going on, on the track. Meanwhile, on TV you're watching a closeup view on the top two running nose to tail.

It was mentioned on another thread yesterday how DirecTV was carrying the MRN feed of the race while displaying the in-car view as well as the network view. During the commercials I tuned into Dale Jr. channel. At one point after they were all running single file for a while, they started to make moves at the back of the pack to get to the front. From some of the camera angles, this could be see from time to time but it was never even mentioned on the broadcast until the line was approaching the top 10. They were missing everything on television. I've said it before and I'll say it again, television will never do this sport justice. As long as they keep their coverage zoomed in on individual cars all day long, most of the action will and is being missed. You know this if you go to a race. I've never been to a bad race but I've seen many of them on TV. I record every race that I attend and watch it at some point after I get home. It's always a different race.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
A radio person can say "And they're nose to tail heading down the back stretch! Whoa! One guy gets out of line and NOBODY goes with him! He's falling to the back!"

They do that while yelling and creating tension with their voice.

But you watch that on TV and you think "Ok, they've all gotten in a straight line. They're just riding some laps out now."

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
I've said it before and I'll say it again, television will never do this sport justice.

Well, I think that applies more to the larger tracks and possibly the road races. Those are hard to cover properly on TV. I think a shorter track comes across better on TV.

IN MOST CASES. :p

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
A radio person can say "And they're nose to tail heading down the back stretch! Whoa! One guy gets out of line and NOBODY goes with him! He's falling to the back!"

They do that while yelling and creating tension with their voice.

But you watch that on TV and you think "Ok, they've all gotten in a straight line. They're just riding some laps out now."

Perfect example. Dramatic / not dramatic.

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Shocking opinion from yours truly, But Ramsey is a moron. That piece was typical Nascar proganda and bullshit, while refusing to take any responsibilty or concern over the carnage that occured Sunday.