Talk channels next to merge?

edalen

Oct 14, 2008
www.ericdalen.com
I predict they will merge.

A couple of weeks ago, the feed for CNN was the same on XM and Sirius (same commercials and promos, which was weird hearing a Sirius promo on XM) so I suspect they were testing things. CNBC on XM also, briefly, showed the same PAD data as Sirius' feed. (I'm a dual sub.)

So, the merging of Fox News, CNN, Headline News, CNBC, Bloomberg, Fox News Talk, etc., is a given.

I think the sports channels will also combine, though that may cause some problems.

The "right" and "left" political talk stations will also probably merge, as will the Christian talk and maybe the truckers channels.

I'd be interested in seeing if Radio Classics will merge. Both have the same name, but different feeds.

I read somewhere that Sirius was seriously considering taking the XM traffic channels because they were cheaper.

I've also noticed Sirius XM Stars sometimes plays the same show on both channels, sometimes not. Probably contractual issues.

I did notice today that "Book Radio" went "dark" for the weekend on XM as it usually does, but was still broadcasting on Sirius. That was kind of nice.

microbob

Oct 14, 2008
It would be cool if Leo's show was on Sirius Stars 102 or the new 108.

edalen

Oct 14, 2008
www.ericdalen.com
I hope they keep Leo too, but on XM it's broadcast on a Clear Channel station, and I don't think it will port over. Also, Leo is syndicated by Premiere Radio, which is owned by Clear Channel, so I don't hold out much hope. :mad:

microbob

Oct 14, 2008
I hope they keep Leo too, but on XM it's broadcast on a Clear Channel station, and I don't think it will port over. Also, Leo is syndicated by Premiere Radio, which is owned by Clear Channel, so I don't hold out much hope. :mad:

Are the Clear Channel stations on XM going away? I thought they own the bandwidth on XM unless XM decides to buy it back the CC channels are staying.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Are the Clear Channel stations on XM going away? I thought they own the bandwidth on XM unless XM decides to buy it back the CC channels are staying.

I don't think they own it but they have the option to continue to use it until they decide otherwise. As a condition, they have to provide XM talk programming free.

YankeeXDev

Oct 19, 2008
Rochester New York
Do you guys think us Sirius guys will ever to get the CC channels? The only reason I would like to get them is so I can get C2C and record it overnight on my SL2. I'd like to get FOX sports also on my radio. I highly doubt it will happen though. I would of choose XM over Sirius for these talk channels but XM portable radios sucked and the SL2 was way better.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I do not think the Sirius side will ever get the CC channels and in fact, I think if there is anyway they can get rid of CC they will. But then again money talks and BS walks, so if they make an offer for some money Sirius may just take it.

I do think we will see a consolidation of the talk/news, entertainment, traffic and weather channels. It would indeed be the next logical step.

In terms of a channel realignment, clearly Sirius needs this on their side a lot worse than XM does. Sirius's channels right now are a total mess, so I'd forsee them doing this, now rather the channels on both sides will match perfectly I don't know, but I see no reason why not.

Nov 6, 2008
Do you guys think us Sirius guys will ever to get the CC channels? The only reason I would like to get them is so I can get C2C and record it overnight on my SL2. I'd like to get FOX sports also on my radio. I highly doubt it will happen though. I would of choose XM over Sirius for these talk channels but XM portable radios sucked and the SL2 was way better.

You may not like the XM portable radios but I found those are much easier to get. Easier to find XM portable Radios and at a cheaper price. It can be difficult finding one for Sirius unless you don't mind spending at least $100 or so.

Once they merge all talk, news, and sports channels what will happen? How many channels will you be getting if you get the news/sports + talk for $10 a month or the mostly music. I would wish they put a few sports channels like Fox Sports Radio, Mad Dogg, and ESPN Radio on the Mostly Music. I don't see the News and Talk plan to be worth it. Paying $12.99 for the Everything plan is nice but I would rarely listening to sports games like MLB or NBA, etc.

TX WJ

Intelligent Donkey
Oct 15, 2008
Chucktown
If Sirius Xm are not careful they will drive many of us to IPODS and services like Slacker and Pandora.

Talk and Sports are what I can't get on IPODS, Slackers, etc.

If it is just about music, Slacker lets me make stations that I like, they don't get taken off the air for Payola.

Right now, NFL Radio is the only thing that Sirius has over me going with Slacker.

If they make Xm talk availible then I will get Glenn Beck and Laura Ingraham then that will be more reason to stay with them.

styckx

Nov 11, 2008
I hope so. Anything to free up some bandwidth. They need to get away from exploiting the bandwidth to a crippling point just to get any programming possible on the platform. Quality > quanity. Keep the good stuff, notch up the sound quality across the music channels and it'll be solid.

udfan07

Nov 5, 2008
Ohio
I would bet that the next merger of channels would be after the deal with Clear Channel ends. They will probably get rid of those channels owned by CC and then do it. When does that deal expire? I remember hearing December but I could be wrong.

lronglien

Nov 10, 2008
Talk merger

I too hope that the talk channels merge. I hope that 158, Fox Sports and SNR can be part available on both services.

Don't really want to open this can of worms, but what the hell. I'd also like to see Rock at Random on Sirius.

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
That would be very cool. I'd love to hear Lynn Samuels again and I also I thought Jay Thomas was on Sirius Stars daily.