Taking any sugestions for a new laser printer.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Always had good luck with Xerox, had this last one for nearly 15 years...but was wondering what all you DRC techies had experience with.
needs large capacity paper tray and good envelope printing.
Networking would be nice.
Main feature should be reliability and low cost of ownership.
Any one have a color laser? hows that working out with cartridges ect?

looking in the general range of ~400$-800$

Any discussion of an HP option is strictly off the table.:p

-TIA

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
probably will just stick with upgrading to the phaser as planned.

Don't print. Paper is messy and expensive.
Actually we're mostly paper free. Its the rest of the 'civiilized' world that insists on hard copies. we recently dealt with the passing of a loved one and had to deal with lots of hard copies and faxes. some folks also insit on snail mail, I sure dont want to hand write out all those address' every month!

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Don't print. Paper is messy and expensive.

Paper is cheap. Ink is messy and expensive.

For an environmental non-profit, we print a lot here at work. Some of that is my fault; I like hard copies. And some of it is our clientele. They don't do computers, much less .pdf's.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Paper is cheap. Ink is messy and expensive.

Paper without ink isn't much use.

For an environmental non-profit, we print a lot here at work. Some of that is my fault; I like hard copies. And some of it is our clientele. They don't do computers, much less .pdf's.

Everyone does computers. My mom has a computer. Tell them to butch up.

Oh yeah, PDFs are crap, too.

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Paper without ink isn't much use.

Everyone does computers. My mom has a computer. Tell them to butch up.

Oh yeah, PDFs are crap, too.

I'll concede the point on the paper. :p

YOU tell Bubba and his cousins to butch up:

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Anything that's HP is awesome...
:agree:
Especially when the six pack of HP ink expires before you can use it all, rendering even the fax/scan function useless until fresh cartridges are purchased.

I really love the 450 MB drivers i need to install that renders my computer useless until the 150 MB patch is also installed... that is, if the patch installer can ever complete. About a 20% chance of that.

Just a few minutes ago i was listening to some former HP employees talk about how they would circumnavigate DOD contracts by having parts made illegally in Malaysia, but then making and installing the stickers here, so it was considered "made in the USA" and could pass the DOD specs.

Shifty mofo's.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
My dad works at HP so I get all the free ink cartridges I want. Paper too...
Cool, can you find out why they are such anti-customer service douches? and why their drivers are hopelessly bloated and broken? I could care less about their treasonous defense contract businesses decisions, thats really between the DOD and them.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
My dad works at HP so I get all the free ink cartridges I want. Paper too...

We have many HP laser printers and they have all been great! HP has various levels of printers and I don't care much for their consumer versions, but their business level computer and printers are very good with the onsite 3 year warranties. I also like that you can download just streamlined drivers without having to install all that stuff that they generally send on CD's too.

Cartridges are bit high and I never use HP paper I don't see the point, but unlike Dell Printers they aren't proprietary so you can often find 3rd party cartridges that you can get much cheaper and they work well.