SXM one of Time's 10 biggest tech failures of the last decade

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
I read that story last week. The way I figure it is SiriusXM is STILL broadcasting so how has it failed? I understand they haven't made the profits they expected but give it time. Remember when Cable first came out and people were saying "I'm not gonna' pay for TV".

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Cable TV was worth paying for (still is). XM was worth paying for at one time before it got 'Melvined'

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
True.:( I still think it's worth it, just not as enthusiastic about it as I used to be.

We're starting to see two groups of people who listen to radio. In no certain order:

1) People that listen to eight or nine hours of the same music channel every day. If they hear two songs by the same day in the same day, even if they're different ones, then all hell breaks loose. If they hear someone's main band in one hour, and the drummer's side project in the second hour, then all hell breaks loose.

2) People that mix up their listening habits. They'll check out some of the talk, maybe flip over to sports pbp on the weekend or in the evening. They may fill it out with a little bit of music here and there.

It's obvious that Sirius XM wants more of the second group of listeners as subscribers, even though group one is just as important.

Sirius01_8

Oct 14, 2008
We're starting to see two groups of people who listen to radio. In no certain order:

1) People that listen to eight or nine hours of the same music channel every day. If they hear two songs by the same day in the same day, even if they're different ones, then all hell breaks loose. If they hear someone's main band in one hour, and the drummer's side project in the second hour, then all hell breaks loose.

2) People that mix up their listening habits. They'll check out some of the talk, maybe flip over to sports pbp on the weekend or in the evening. They may fill it out with a little bit of music here and there.

It's obvious that Sirius XM wants more of the second group of listeners as subscribers, even though group one is just as important.

Personally I fall into #2, but I also seem to think from a lot of people that I have talked to, outside of what I read on here, I think there is a lot more of group #2's than group #1's.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I fall into 1.5. I listen to one channel pretty consistently but don't flip out if I hear two songs by the same artist. In the car I am always #2.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Personally I fall into #2, but I also seem to think from a lot of people that I have talked to, outside of what I read on here, I think there is a lot more of group #2's than group #1's.

Maybe it's just on this forum, but the group #1 seems to be really vocal.

"OMG. How could a classic rock channel play Hell's Bells at 11 AM and then play "Welcome To The Jungle" at 11:15. Don't they know there's more than that? And then I heard MORE AC/DC at 12:45 PM, 4:32 PM, and 7 PM. ARGH!"

TheScionicMan

Last non-Hating Stern Fan
Oct 11, 2008
Sorry, I didn't express myself with how I wanted to explain myself...

I meant that Sirius is in my Top 3 of Tech, not the bottom 10 that TIme puts them in. Then I quoted you because your statement sounded funny in a Beavis and Butthead-ish sort of way...

"And B. I have personally learned, that when I address things, I should address them in a much better way, in a specific way as not to offend people. Black people, white people, Spanish, Italian whatever the case may be. I sincerely mean this. I sincerely stand behind the fact I was joking and I sincerely apologize over the fact people were offended. I am not a racist. Thank you for your time."

Reactions: IdRatherBeSkiing

Argji

Oct 14, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
SiriusXM is in some pretty good company with Youtube! Who would of guessed that would be included in a failure list? I think one of the points of this article was to show that there was a lot of expectations with these technologies and so far they haven't delivered the $$$$$$. Anyone want to place bets that a Twitter could be next?

That said I still love my Sirius subs just as much as when I first subscribed and have no plans of giving them up.

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
total crap. Sirius is the best. HD Radio on the other hand is GARBAGE.

Fergz99

Oct 14, 2008
Maybe it's just on this forum, but the group #1 seems to be really vocal.

"OMG. How could a classic rock channel play Hell's Bells at 11 AM and then play "Welcome To The Jungle" at 11:15. Don't they know there's more than that? And then I heard MORE AC/DC at 12:45 PM, 4:32 PM, and 7 PM. ARGH!"
Nut you do realise that some people went with Satellite Radio expecting to hear something vastly different then FM. When I first got Sirius it was amazing. That was in 2005 and since then they slowly tweaked and played with the line up so much it was not much different then FM radio. I wasn't looking to pay for FM without commercials.

Look Mel's opinion is that people only listen for 15 at a time and thats just not the case.

I don't think Satellite Radio is finished, but it is not the service I hoped it would be and the merger was a mistake. I think Mel has done a terrible job running the company. He tried to make it to much like FM radio.

ctkatz

Oct 11, 2008
failed how exactly? was it supposed to go mainstream and replace radios in people's cars? was it supposed to be the same as satellite tv?

if by "failed" they mean "brought to my market music that is not/no longer/will not played, talk that is not/will not be broadcast, and sports that no one in my market cares about or teams that are not in my market" then yes, sirixm has failed and failed miserably.

i don't believe that satellite radio is at fault for the music industry producing crap music. cancelling your service just because aerosmith had 2 different songs played on the same channel in 3 hours seems to be a mite misguided. i am having a hard time believing that most accounts of people cancelling are anything more than simple hyperbole but that's the vibe i'm getting from them.

Supafly

Oct 12, 2008
I remember my friend getting XM in 2003(?). I think it was $6.99 a month then. A pittance compared to cable TV.

The first channel we tuned was RAW and the chorus of the song playing was "Beat that bit#h with a bat." It was like we were in on a dirty secret that was cool to be part of.

Unfortunately Sat radio has lost it's revolutionary drive. Even if you see Stern as it's culminating achievement he's not exactly full of pep or ingeniuty anymore. Now it's basically a mainstream content portal. It will be around as long there aren't other viable providers for similiar content, for which mobile streaming music is quickly fulfilling the role.

Sat radio's niche rose from it's orginality and the hope that you were finally going to hear something different on the radio. And it was affordable to almost everyone.

Unless it can go back there quick the day's of servicing and launching high cost satellites exclusively for radio content will be over sooner than later. You might be able to get music on your sat receiver but will it be a crippled byproduct of your $100 a month Sat TV service?

Last edited:

macfanatic010

Nov 8, 2008

I'm between 1 and 2. 90% of the time i'm on 20on20, KISS XM (when no commercials are on), Pop2K, and The Pulse. The other 10% is Stars Too.

Personally, I don't mind listening to the same song twice in an hour if it's good. It beats having to listen to a bunch of obscure filler songs that i've never heard of.

ctkatz

Oct 11, 2008

sirixm definitely wants more of 2. i just think that there are a very vocal very small group of 1s that are making it more difficult for there to be any more new subscribers at all. this is why i question those of the subscribers who have dropped their subscriptions because of a "shallow playlist" if they were that interested in the music (and only the music) why they got satellite radio at all or didn't cancel sooner and just fill up an mp3 player with the stuff they want to listen to.

sirixm would be best if they emphasized marketing to your second demographic. you will not get such a wide variety of channels anywhere on terrestrial radio that you would with satellite radio.