Swine Flu

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
Remember a few months ago when the media hyped this thing to death. Then the swine flu story went away. I guess now it's back.

It certainly appears to be here in my local community. A small state of panic has set in as local doctors are confirming quite a few cases of the swine flu among the people here.

Anyone else hearing of swine flu cases near where you live?

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
"Regular" flu kills 36,000 people per year. source

"Swine" flu is estimated to go to about 90k. We could probably decrease that number if the proper amount of vaccination was produced. There's no reason why this shouldn't have happened.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
2 case's have been reported at my kids school last week. My ex-wife's husband knew somebody that died from it a few months back.
I just got over a rather shitty ear infection from an airplane trip two and a half weeks ago. -but that wasn't swine flu. It was weird being sick when its nearly 100 degrees.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
F*ck swine flu... whatcha really have to watch out for is that porcupine flu.

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
Bunch of crap. They are racing a vaccine to the market that will do more damage than the actual swine flu! No talk about actually increasing your immune system with HEALTHY LIVING that would actually do some good just WHATEVER WILL MAKE THE HEALTH INDUSTRY MONEY is all they push.

Yeah, they are really looking out for our best interests.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
This is just another one of those things that the media uses to keep us all afraid. Remember AVIAN FLU and the pics of all those people in Asia walking around in the surgical masks and how the media kept telling us "it's coming, it's coming, how to be ready and what to do if you get it...."

Here is a tip-----people are afraid of diseases and the media knows this and they will ALWAYS tell us to be afraid because, well, that is really good for their ratings.

is there a swine flU? Sure. Will it be ANY worse than the "regular" flu? No.

Remember, the best way to control the masses is to keep them uneducated and keep them afraid.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
bunch of crap. They are racing a vaccine to the market that will do more damage than the actual swine flu! No talk about actually increasing your immune system with healthy living that would actually do some good just whatever will make the health industry money is all they push.

Yeah, they are really looking out for our best interests.

a. Men!!

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Dont drink too much of this...
swine_lager.gif

You'll catch swine bottle -flu.:p

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
Out of 300,000,000 people 30,000 dieing from the flu is stastically irrevelent as AT LEAST this many people will have compromised imune systems cause not everyone lives a life of healthy living or whatever.

30,000 / 300,000,000 = 3/30,000 = 1 in 10,000 chance of dying from the flu every year.

Sounds like a lot? No? Well let's compare to other ways of dying:

All figures below are for U.S. residents.

Cause of Death Lifetime Odds
Heart Disease
1-in-5

Cancer
1-in-7

Stroke
1-in-23

Accidental Injury
1-in-36

Motor Vehicle Accident
1-in-100

Intentional Self-harm (suicide)
1-in-121

Falling Down
1-in-246

Assault by Firearm
1-in-325

Fire or Smoke
1-in-1,116

Natural Forces (heat, cold, storms, quakes, etc.)
1-in-3,357

Electrocution
1-in-5,000

Drowning
1-in-8,942

Maybe we should inflate everyone with air an attempt to make people more boyant so they won't drown?

(http://www.livescience.com/environment/050106_odds_of_dying.html)

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Just because the press stopped reporting it doesn't mean it went away. You guys are still fighting in Iraq yet that gets almost 0 press coverage now.

In almost all previous flu epidemics, it comes in the spring, quietens down for the summer, then comes back in avengence the next fall & winter. One theory I read was that the birds carry it, shit in the lakes and rivers. We go to the cottage, have a nice swim and get the virus. We then go back to civilization and spread it more.

I still don't think this one will be anything more severe than a strong flu outbreak. It will not be the 'doomsday virus' some people (probably craving TV time) are predicting.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Some of the fear is justified. The 1918 pandemic killed 50 to 100 million people, and infected about 1/3rd of all humans on the planet. We've got better medical tech now, but it can't protect us from a similar pandemic. Evolution is a bitch.

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
Some of the fear is justified. The 1918 pandemic killed 50 to 100 million people, and infected about 1/3rd of all humans on the planet. We've got better medical tech now, but it can't protect us from a similar pandemic. Evolution is a bitch.

I'll take that. It's for the good of the entire human race to eliminate the weak. Let's go for a cool 1Billion this time.

Reactions: hyson

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
You and/or your family members may be among the weak.

The flu? haven't cared about the flu for as long as I've been alive. Don't know why I'd care now.

IT'S THE FLU! If you have AIDS then yeah, get the flu shot! The rest of us humans wil SUCK IT UP for the week we are sick and then GET ON WITH LIFE!

I'm not about to start injecting myself with some RUSHED TO MARKET crap in the anticipation that some slob is going to breathe their nastiness on me.

Didn't care before don't care now.