Swine flu bullsh*t.

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
I heard Stern talking about this today and I was on several radio shows about it over the last few weeks.

Fact: Pandemics will happen.
Fact: We've been tracking them for years
Fact. We don't have any info that you're not privy to. Go to pubmed and type in "bird flu" and you're find 30,000 results.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
I heard Stern talking about this today and I was on several radio shows about it over the last few weeks.

Fact: Pandemics will happen.
Fact: We've been tracking them for years
Fact. We don't have any info that you're not privy to. Go to pubmed and type in "bird flu" and you're find 30,000 results.

Fact:

It is a slow news season and the media has nothing else to talk about so they pick this because it involves people getting sick from a new disease and that scares people and that equates to ratings. The swine flu is no big deal and once somethign else in the world happens, an earthquake, a flood, a big time death of a celebrity, the swine flu will go away.

Much like back in the summer of 2001, there was NOTHING going on so all we ever heard about were all the shark attacks happening all over the country. From California to South Carolina it seemed like the sharks were declaring war on people. Every day on the national news they would open with "today, another shark attack--this time in Myrtle Beach. WE'll talk with an expert later and see why people seem to be getting attacked." Anyway, the Shark Attack Summer ended with September 11th, 2001. Also, at the end of the year, buried on page 12 of the newspaper, it turned out there were less shark attacks in 2001 than the average year.

Fuck the media--they tell you what they think is news.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
The CDC determined that it's no deadlier than the 'regular' flu.
The only difference is that this version has a catchier media friendly name.

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
The CDC determined that it's no deadlier than the 'regular' flu.
The only difference is that this version has a catchier media friendly name.

Yup. But a pandemic is going to happen. We've been tracking these viruses for years. Eventually, a pandemic with over 50% mortality will happen. And most likely withing the next 10-20 yrs. The media is doing the classic "crying wolf" and people are going to be shocked when it really does happen.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
Yup. But a pandemic is going to happen. We've been tracking these viruses for years. Eventually, a pandemic with over 50% mortality will happen. And most likely withing the next 10-20 yrs. The media is doing the classic "crying wolf" and people are going to be shocked when it really does happen.

Then let's ask the expert----what are the leading contenders for the next pandemic. This could be interesting.

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
Then let's ask the expert----what are the leading contenders for the next pandemic. This could be interesting.

If we knew we'd have a vaccine. It will be something most likely that goes from birds to pigs to humans. Pigs are the intermediary. They have upper respiratory receptors that can accommodate both bird and human strains of flu. The reason everyone was freaking out about this last flu, is that it showed the ability to jump from bird to pig to human. That's the trajectory of a pandemic. We got lucky that the mortality rate on this one was low.

It's just a matter of time though. Things like Ebola have a 50-80% mortality rate and can spread within a few weeks. The bugs are out there. All populations are eventually controlled.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
If we knew we'd have a vaccine. It will be something most likely that goes from birds to pigs to humans. Pigs are the intermediary. They have upper respiratory receptors that can accommodate both bird and human strains of flu. The reason everyone was freaking out about this last flu, is that it showed the ability to jump from bird to pig to human. That's the trajectory of a pandemic. We got lucky that the mortality rate on this one was low.

It's just a matter of time though. Things like Ebola have a 50-80% mortality rate and can spread within a few weeks. The bugs are out there. All populations are eventually controlled.

That is really interesting. I had no idea that pigs were the common denominator on this.

What is the deal with AIDS? We really don't hear much about that anymore. Do we really just have a handle on it or what? I know overseas, especially in Africa and the Far East it is really nasty but here in the US you just don't hear that much about it.

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
That is really interesting. I had no idea that pigs were the common denominator on this.

What is the deal with AIDS? We really don't hear much about that anymore. Do we really just have a handle on it or what? I know overseas, especially in Africa and the Far East it is really nasty but here in the US you just don't hear that much about it.

AIDs is like the flu... it's a retro virus. They mutate at an amazing rate. That's why we have new flu vaccines every year. And that's also why there is no "cure" for the flu.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio

I think the other reason that we don't hear as much about AIDS anymore is that the media has gotten bored with it. People live with it longer now than they used to and since it's spread is mostly controlled with safe sex and "clean" drug use (if you can say it like that) makes it a problem for 'them' and not as frightening for the general public.

Cases of HIV Infection and AIDS in the United States and Dependent Areas, 2007| Reports | Statistics and Surveillance | Topics | CDC HIV/AIDS

There's just more glamorous ugly ways to die now.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
I think the other reason that we don't hear as much about AIDS anymore is that the media has gotten bored with it. People live with it longer now than they used to and since it's spread is mostly controlled with safe sex and "clean" drug use (if you can say it like that) makes it a problem for 'them' and not as frightening for the general public.

Cases of HIV Infection and AIDS in the United States and Dependent Areas, 2007| Reports | Statistics and Surveillance | Topics | CDC HIV/AIDS

There's just more glamorous ugly ways to die now.

Right. It has become somewhat controllable here in the US so I guess you're right. It isn't big enough anymore for solid media coverage. Not when the Kardashian's are up to big things and Lindsay Lohan is straight again. Who's got time to follow AIDS?????

TheScionicMan

Last non-Hating Stern Fan
Oct 11, 2008
There were a lot of people dressed as pigs and swine at the Bay to Breakers yesterday. Some of them were cute little piglets, others were just fat hogs...

3541344886_087b9b95e3.jpg

Last edited:

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
Joel McHales take on Kim Kardashian is my favorite of all time. Everytime he brings up her name on THE SOUP he says....

...and Kim Kardashian, who's famous for having a big ass and a sex tape....

Even when he mentions one of her stupid sisters he'll say..

...and Chloe, who's famous because she's the sister of somebody with a big ass and a sex tape...