SUPH Home Dock question

mcf57

Dec 5, 2008
I have a Starmate 5 and Stratus 6. I was interested in getting just the SUPH Home Dock offered by TSS in order to use with both for inside my living room. Here is the description:

SUPH Home Dock

I realize this is just the cradle to hold both units & doesn't come with any other parts. I'm assuming it has inputs for a power adapter, antenna and an audio output, correct? I was planning to use a universal AC adapter with it & a spare antenna to make my own home kit, but just want to make sure it has the connections I need to do so since I can't really tell from the picture.

Last edited:

jammasterc

Feb 16, 2009
Southern NJ
I ordered just exactly that part, I'll let you know how it goes when it arrives later this week.

I plan on doing the same thing you are.

mcf57

Dec 5, 2008
Well, I also have an XACT XTR3 unit that is hooked up to a universal adapter & has been working great for the last 6 months this way. The universal adapter had a connector that fit perfectly into the XACT unit. I just put the voltage setting to 12volts like it says on the side and I have been good to go.

I also briefly used this universal adapter with my Stratus 6 and it works great too. The car dock/cradle that came with the Stratus 6 actually can essentially just sit flat on a surface and be used as a home dock if desired. Sort of jerry rigged, but it works. The universal adapter also had a plug that fit perfectly for the Stratus 6 cradle. Beats paying $50+ for a home dock. Now, my Starmate 5 car dock is different. It has a LOT smaller power connector & couldn't take a connection so maybe this is what you are referring to in not seeing a universal adapter that works. The power connection on the Stratus 6's car cradle is much bigger & easier to fit with a universal adapter. Not sure why the Stratus 6 car cradle power port is much bigger than the Starmate 5's, but I'm not complaining. I was surprised at that, but its the way it is. I guess they redesigned it for the newer Stratus 6.

Plus, I have had SIRIUS made adapters fail on me in the past. I went through THREE Sirius home AC adapters for an original STARMATE1 before I decided to just get a universal adapter for it. Each SIRIUS adapter was lasting an average of about 5-8 months. This universal adapter it is now using has been working great for over a year. Also, when getting a universal adapter for a SIRIUS radio, I learned that you have to make sure it has enough milliamps to power it. I first got one that was rated up to 400milliamps and didn't work at all. Once I got one rated up to 1700milliamps, it worked fine.

I was looking to get this home dock only part to be able to possibly put either my Stratus 6 or Starmate 5 in another room on occasion & then permanently install the Stratus 6 car cradle in another vehicle.

Last edited:

jammasterc

Feb 16, 2009
Southern NJ
SUPH Home Dock works with my SL2 and the AC charger that came with the SL2.

Listening to Internet radio now.
I get 2 bars of reception at my computer desk, so I don't need to use the antenna for Satellite listening.