Stupid AT&T

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Well it seems that AT&T already ported my number and I am still awaiting FedEx to deliver my phone, so since the wee hours last night I've had no phone.

I just love how AT&T does this kind of stuff. I understood that the porting wouldn't happen until I actually activated the phone. I guess not!

Hopefully it will arrive in the next hour, so I can go through the activation and then wait the hour or two that it seems most are having to wait for the activation to actually take place.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
Well it seems that AT&T already ported my number and I am still awaiting FedEx to deliver my phone, so since the wee hours last night I've had no phone.

I just love how AT&T does this kind of stuff. I understood that the porting wouldn't happen until I actually activated the phone. I guess not!

Hopefully it will arrive in the next hour, so I can go through the activation and then wait the hour or two that it seems most are having to wait for the activation to actually take place.

I'm sorry to hear that man. You should have went with Sprint and a Palm Pre.:nana: Seriously that really sucks I hate being without my phone. When I got my Pre with Sprint. I took it home and did a ESN switch on their site and my number was on my new phone. It's to bad AT&T doesn't have that. It must have something to do with it being GSM and having a SIM card. Hang in there man

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I'm sorry to hear that man. You should have went with Sprint and a Palm Pre.:nana: Seriously that really sucks I hate being without my phone. When I got my Pre with Sprint. I took it home and did a ESN switch on their site and my number was on my new phone. It's to bad AT&T doesn't have that. It must have something to do with it being GSM and having a SIM card. Hang in there man

Well I think it really has more to do with that fact that I don't have the phone in hand. You went to the store picked up and brought it home and did the ESN swap. If I had gotten the phone early this morning this would have all been completed within an hour or two. But unfortunately it is still riding around on a FedEx truck. I am sure there are many that went to the store and the swap was pretty painless.

Sprint in my area has no coverage except right in two and on the interstates, but you get off much beyond that. NOTHING! It just wouldn't work for me!

It will all get sorted out once I get the phone in hand. Now if that freaking FedEx truck would get here. Usually they deliver to us around 1 PM, but don't you know today they are late, probably all those damn phones being delivered! hehehe

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
Well I think it really has more to do with that fact that I don't have the phone in hand. You went to the store picked up and brought it home and did the ESN swap. If I had gotten the phone early this morning this would have all been completed within an hour or two. But unfortunately it is still riding around on a FedEx truck. I am sure there are many that went to the store and the swap was pretty painless.

Sprint in my area has no coverage except right in two and on the interstates, but you get off much beyond that. NOTHING! It just wouldn't work for me!

It will all get sorted out once I get the phone in hand. Now if that freaking FedEx truck would get here. Usually they deliver to us around 1 PM, but don't you know today they are late, probably all those damn phones being delivered! hehehe

That's why I'm glad I have an Apple store within a short drive of me. I hate waiting!

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I am surprised the number port went through without an activation. That's strange. However, your pain will end soon enough!!

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
That's why I'm glad I have an Apple store within a short drive of me. I hate waiting!

Amen, for me that is a 2 hour drive! We do have a crap load of AT&T stores though.

I am surprised the number port went through without an activation. That's strange. However, your pain will end soon enough!!

I know it just makes no sense to me! But my current phone says unregistered sim card, so that means I no longer have service with them.

Yeah this will all be a memory before long! LOL

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Well it just arrived, so I am fixing to go through the activation process. Wish me luck! :)

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
Well it just arrived, so I am fixing to go through the activation process. Wish me luck! :)

Good luck man! Around here I have no trouble with Sprint service. I have the original Iphone and I did not reup on my contract. I jailbroke it and unlocked it and I use it as a go phone. I put a few movies on there just incase. I went with Sprint because it was just cheaper. When the 3G came out they started charging $10 more for the data plan and no texts. I was pretty pissed so I said F them. Now I have have unlimited everything for $99-23%. Gota love that State of Ohio employee discount. I'm not in anyway trying to say Sprint is better. I know that service depends on the area. It was just way cheaper for me.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
Different results in Different areas. Around here AT&T reception is actually the best. I tried Verizon, T-Mobile, and Nextel-Sprint and neither of those beat out AT&T in overall quality. It isn't that AT&T is without it's issues. Not ready for MMS, not supporting some apps on 3G and Wifi as it should be.

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
Different results in Different areas. Around here AT&T reception is actually the best. I tried Verizon, T-Mobile, and Nextel-Sprint and neither of those beat out AT&T in overall quality. It isn't that AT&T is without it's issues. Not ready for MMS, not supporting some apps on 3G and Wifi as it should be.

True on that. I've lived in a LOT of areas around the country and, although I tend to hate AT/T, they're sometimes the best in a given area.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Good luck man! Around here I have no trouble with Sprint service. I have the original Iphone and I did not reup on my contract. I jailbroke it and unlocked it and I use it as a go phone. I put a few movies on there just incase. I went with Sprint because it was just cheaper. When the 3G came out they started charging $10 more for the data plan and no texts. I was pretty pissed so I said F them. Now I have have unlimited everything for $99-23%. Gota love that State of Ohio employee discount. I'm not in anyway trying to say Sprint is better. I know that service depends on the area. It was just way cheaper for me.

Thanks, I really appreciate your feedback and help! The phone arrived, I plugged it into iTunes, iPhone activation popped up, showed the number I was porting, then asked for my billing zip and last 4 digits of my social. I entered those, checked off on a couple of agreements and submitted. I expected it would take hours, but within 3 minutes my phone said activation completed and I had a full signal with AT&T.

I am loving this phone, I have already talked on it for about 2 hours because I was backlogged from them porting my number so soon and was without a phone most of the day. The screen is bright and this thing is much, much faster than my iPod 1gen. :)

I do have one problem and would like some suggestions or feedback. I ported from Centennial as I said above. I can't send text messages to Centennial subscribers, but when they send to me, I do not get them. They do not get an error or anything they just never arrive. I called Centennial they assured me that everything was out of their system and AT&T says the porting is complete. Still something somewhere is out of kilter. It seems like this is on Centennials end, since I can get text from Sprint, Verizon and T-Mobile subscribers just fine. Thoughts or suggestions? Someone said since the port just went through this morning that it may take 24 hours for everything to clear out of Centennials system and so right now text are still trying to find me on their side.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
True on that. I've lived in a LOT of areas around the country and, although I tend to hate AT/T, they're sometimes the best in a given area.

Honestly in my area AT&T isn't the best, I just wanted the damn iPhone, but the company that is the best my regional carrier Centennial is in the process of being bought out my AT&T and once they get their grubby hands on the 850mhz spectrum and all those towers in the rural areas AT&T will indeed not be able to be touched by ANY other carrier in this area. So, I switched early and I suspect within 3 to 6 months I'll have that great coverage again.

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
DAB, congrats on your new adventure. I know you'll love the phone. I just hope AT&T stays up to par in your area.

You have now entered the Dark Side. ;)

Now it's time to get a Mac.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
DAB, congrats on your new adventure. I know you'll love the phone. I just hope AT&T stays up to par in your area.

You have now entered the Dark Side. ;)

Now it's time to get a Mac.

Thanks MM!

My son who just picked up a new 13.3" MacBook Pro at Best Buy this past weekend has been tempting me. Just as I have been tempting him with my 3Gs iPhone. That MacBook Pro is damn sweet, almost as sweet as my 3Gs. LOL

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
Congrats on the new toy!!!! Give the text message thing a day or so to get worked out. If it's still not working by tomorrow, give AT&T a call. Sometimes the port can get a little screwy.