Stuck on Signing In...

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
I've been trying to refresh my G2 today before I went to work and the thing keeps getting stuck on signing in. It'll just sit there forever, and after about fifteen minutes I cancel out. I'm using WiFi to refresh.

Any ideas?

sphere79

Dec 1, 2008
I've been trying to refresh my G2 today before I went to work and the thing keeps getting stuck on signing in. It'll just sit there forever, and after about fifteen minutes I cancel out. I'm using WiFi to refresh.

Any ideas?

Lemme guess - you're gonna need to do a "recovery"? Wonderful to see that not only is the G1 a buggy POS but apparently it runs in the family.

I really, really love slacker and want them to survive. But for everything they get right, they get just as much wrong.

If you want me to spend $200 on a dedicated Slacker player it better work and not be riddled with glitches and problems. How' bout supporting mass-storage compliance like every other device made in the last 10 years? How about a resume function (not to mention VBR mp3 support) so when we supplement your music service with talk shows we don't have to fast-forward 2 hours to where we left off?

I've been asking for those things since the G1 came out with no luck. If anything, although it appears less buggy overall the mp3 functions of the G2 are actually worse than the G1.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Maybe the servers are overloaded due to new users with iphones and bb?

My G1 has hung before syncing, but after ~20 mins it started the DL. Other than that I havn't had any problems.>knock wood<

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
You will likely have to do the factory reset. I had this happen to me. This fixed it and thus far I have been running smooth.

Sent from iPod Touch!
Posted via Mobile Device

sphere79

Dec 1, 2008
I had to reflash my radio twice over the weekend as mine was stuck at the Signing in screen as well. :(
Do you have a G1 or G2 Scott? With the Dec. 23rd 08 firmware, my G1 is getting two weeks tops before it starts acting up and needs the full reload. Like a moron I bought a used G2 off of ebay (because even though slacker pisses me off I still love 'em) hoping that the glitches and bugs would be better. I'm hoping the G2 doesn't end up like the G1 needing frequent reboots + recoveries, etc.

At this point in time, the wife has the G2 at her work. I figured since the G1 has Plus and I only use it driving I'd keep it and she's got the basic free service (for now) on the G2. When she had taken my G1 to work in the past she had the problem of needing to run across the office when a loud song came on so that's another reason the G2 is better for her. I don't have a problem with the volume jumping in the car as it's no different than playing CD's.

Oct 29, 2008
Try turning it off with play/pause button. Wait a few seconds then turn it back on. If that does not work. Let it do a complete reboot. To do that let it sit off for two hours , or do the home/ban button trick. You could do the paper clip trick, but it should be used as a very last resort. Support does not recommend doing that often. Does it work properly after you reboot it ? It should work.......

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Do you have a G1 or G2 Scott? With the Dec. 23rd 08 firmware, my G1 is getting two weeks tops before it starts acting up and needs the full reload. Like a moron I bought a used G2 off of ebay (because even though slacker pisses me off I still love 'em) hoping that the glitches and bugs would be better. I'm hoping the G2 doesn't end up like the G1 needing frequent reboots + recoveries, etc.

Having had both the G1 and G2, I can tell you hands down that the G1 is much, much more buggy than the G2. I've had to do the reset to mine once and I purchased it 3rd week in October. It ran perfectly up till that point. It has run perfectly since the factory reset. So, assuming because the G1 is terribly buggy that the G2 is as well is a false assumption in my opinion. I loved the big screen on the G1, hated the volume going up and down though and once I got it working, I sold it on Ebay immediately!

There is something going on that is causing this sign in issue on the G2 and I am sure they will track it down and fix it. But the device itself is rock solid in my opinion.

I am curious if maybe the most recent firmware didn't address this, but they have just not mentioned it. Not likely though!

Try turning it off with play/pause button. Wait a few seconds then turn it back on. If that does not work. Let it do a complete reboot. To do that let it sit off for two hours , or do the home/ban button trick. You could do the paper clip trick, but it should be used as a very last resort. Support does not recommend doing that often. Does it work properly after you reboot it ? It should work.......

That doesn't work! Everyone that I know who has had this issue has had to to the factory reset in order to get this thing working so that it would sign in to the service again. This may work for other issues, but once this thing won't sign in to the server that is the ONLY fix.

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
I just got home from work and refreshed and it worked fine. They really need to put a time out in place though, because it would have just sat on that screen forever this morning.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I just got home from work and refreshed and it worked fine. They really need to put a time out in place though, because it would have just sat on that screen forever this morning.

Well good Snake, glad you didn't have the same issue that Scott and I have because having to do the factory reset if you have a lot of stations takes a while.

:bigthumbup:

Oct 29, 2008
Having had both the G1 and G2, I can tell you hands down that the G1 is much, much more buggy than the G2. I've had to do the reset to mine once and I purchased it 3rd week in October. It ran perfectly up till that point. It has run perfectly since the factory reset. So, assuming because the G1 is terribly buggy that the G2 is as well is a false assumption in my opinion. I loved the big screen on the G1, hated the volume going up and down though and once I got it working, I sold it on Ebay immediately!

There is something going on that is causing this sign in issue on the G2 and I am sure they will track it down and fix it. But the device itself is rock solid in my opinion.

I am curious if maybe the most recent firmware didn't address this, but they have just not mentioned it. Not likely though!

That doesn't work! Everyone that I know who has had this issue has had to to the factory reset in order to get this thing working so that it would sign in to the service again. This may work for other issues, but once this thing won't sign in to the server that is the ONLY fix.
In reference to the sign in issue. I understand you had to do the reset as to make it work properly. However this is not the case for everyone. I think in many cases folks are impatient with the issue. So they reset, and yes it will fix it. Though users have reported doing a complete reboot does fix the issue. Also doing a reboot is what support will suggest doing first. Cause a proper reboot should fix it. If it was not a full reboot it will not fix it. For you reboot did not work, but for others it does. It is clearly posted on the official forum. That is all I am saying. At one point I experienced it. I turned player off. Did some other things. Turned it back on later in the day to try the refresh again, and it signed in just fine. So the reboot does work. Don't know why it did not for you.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
In reference to the sign in issue. I understand you had to do the reset as to make it work properly. However this is not the case for everyone. I think in many cases folks are impatient with the issue. So they reset, and yes it will fix it. Though users have reported doing a complete reboot does fix the issue. Also doing a reboot is what support will suggest doing first. Cause a proper reboot should fix it. If it was not a full reboot it will not fix it. For you reboot did not work, but for others it does. It is clearly posted on the official forum. That is all I am saying. At one point I experienced it. I turned player off. Did some other things. Turned it back on later in the day to try the refresh again, and it signed in just fine. So the reboot does work. Don't know why it did not for you.

I have no issues with someone trying all the methods and suggestions that Slacker Support recommends. However, don't take my word for it just review the Slacker forum and you'll clearly see there is a pattern developing now that just rebooting doesn't always resolve this problem. Fortunately for Snake it apparently wasn't the exact same issue I and Scott had.

I did all those things as did many others and it didn't work! So, my point is and you have no basis in fact to say otherwise is that if you have the same signing in issue that I had the ONLY fix is to do a factory reset. It goes without saying that folks should try doing everything else first, that is a no brainer.

jmcmahan

Nov 1, 2008
Hilton Head Island SC
Not trying to muddy the waters with all the suggestions on fixing the issue. But, all I did was take the battery out and replace it after a few seconds. After that the G1 was able to sign on slacker and update the channels.

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
Not trying to muddy the waters with all the suggestions on fixing the issue. But, all I did was take the battery out and replace it after a few seconds. After that the G1 was able to sign on slacker and update the channels.

Unfortunately not an option with the G2 as the battery is built in. However, a few of our members have G1's and that's a good thing for them to know.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana

Yeah, not an option on the G2, but prior to selling my G1 on Ebay mine had become very unstable and it wouldn't login anymore. I never tried removing the battery, but eventually did the factory reset, which fixed most of the stability and of course the logging in issues.

Thanks for the suggestion though for the G1. I really wish the battery was user replaceable on the G2.

Anyway... anyone having this problem certainly needs to try all the methods suggested for a fix prior to doing the factory reset as that is a pain in the butt.

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
It's done it to me once more since, but HOME and BAN fixes it... the only thing that sucks is (at least I've noticed on the official slacker forums) that if support sees you've been using it when they look at your logs when you have a real problem they chew you out big time.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
If it keeps doing it, it maybe time to do the factory reset or the reflash. I've not had mine do the signing in thing again since I did the factory reset on the G2.

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
If it keeps doing it, it maybe time to do the factory reset or the reflash. I've not had mine do the signing in thing again since I did the factory reset on the G2.

*sigh* I'm gonna give it a try. The home ban thing works but the last thing I need is for support to give me shit if I wind up having a real problem down the road.