Strong FM replacement options..

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008
Any options other than ebay?

My dad's Starmate ST2 just died. He relies on FM for both home and car, and being retired, hoping to keep price down as much as possible.

Does the original INV have strong FM? IS there an AC adapter for it?

Other recommendations?????

I have a WTB ad in the DRC Hardware Exchange Forum if anyone on this forum has something.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
I think older gear is your only option short of connecting a 3rd party transmitter via line out. We still use an old Xact Visor in our house - for a while the only downside was that it didn't get some of the channels after 180-something (not a worry with the newer lineup now).

Good luck!

nightvoyager

Jan 13, 2009
Henderson, NV
I'm using my old Visor now, and the FM transmitter performance is unbelievable! :eek:...the older 12-volt models have more as far as anything drawing more juice..enter the Fm Transmitter..;) You can pick up Visors for very cheap nowadays..

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
I'm using my old Visor now, and the FM transmitter performance is unbelievable! :eek:...

Yep - I can pick up ours several houses down the street before I lose the signal in my car. Hope my neighbors appreciate all the Howard Stern they get to hear ;-)

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
Yeah, my older Xact XTR7 transmits crazy good, I used to broadcast from my room in my old apartment, and out neighbor was out working on his truck in his garage with the truck radio on, and it picked up What I had on. Which at first was Octane, and he seemed to enjoy it, then it changed to Howard, and he stayed tuned it. He was confused, haha.

hjsiemer

Aug 13, 2009
Maryland
On the Visors that will tune below 88.1 have the strong signal, so that is the test if you buy one from ebay, etc. Ask the seller to tune the fm transmitter to below 88.1, if it works then that is one of the originals with the 100mw signal

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
My sportster replay is real strong. Covers the whole house and yard no problem.

nillam1

Sep 14, 2009
On the Visors that will tune below 88.1 have the strong signal, so that is the test if you buy one from ebay, etc. Ask the seller to tune the fm transmitter to below 88.1, if it works then that is one of the originals with the 100mw signal

So any receiver that tunes to 87.7 and 87.9 means that it has the old strong pre FCC ban pre 2006 FM transmitter?

hjsiemer

Aug 13, 2009
Maryland
Yes, You will receive a letter in the mail in about 2 weeks advising you that the fm signal on the radio exceeds current fcc standards and you need to obtain an "attenunator" from an electronics supplier...this "letter" was received from sirius about 6 months ago by a colleague, after he subscribed with an old radio.

nillam1

Sep 14, 2009
You're welcome. This one is also stereo, where their earlier models were mono and 200mw. Great unit, I plug all kinds of music into it, my laptop, Slacker, iPods... You will enjoy it.

Did you se the Orion-5000? Now that kicks ass! I might buy one of them and broadcast howard 24/7, LOL, just think of all the people in my neigbourhood searching the radio stations ans finding Howard 100 with a stripper on the sibian. HAha, hilarious.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I think it would be far easier at this point in time to buy a commercially available FM transmitter and then pick any radio to feed into it.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
IRBS makes a good point.
Even if you find an old satrad with illegal transmitter, it will likley fail due to age sooner than you want.
If your dad just uses it in one or two spots why not get him a hardwired setup or two? it will sound way better.