Stratus 6?

mcf57

Dec 5, 2008
I happen to notice that Best Buy & Crutchfield are now carrying a "Stratus 6". Is there any real difference between this and the old Stratus 5? If so, what? From the pics I have seen, they both look identical. Or is the 6 basically just the new model for this coming holiday season and pretty much the same radio?

I haven't seen a Starmate 6 yet, but I would think that is just around the corner too.

mcf57

Dec 5, 2008
Nevermind, I now see how it states the Stratus 6 can accept "a-la-cart" programming. That would appear to be the major difference & I guess they are adding some more radios to the lineup that will allow for this feature. Good to see even though the a-la-cart packages are still kind of BS if you ask me.

mcf57

Dec 5, 2008
What exactly is the "power connect". Does this mean the power mode will essentially stay "on" even if the power cord is disconnected or in the case of a car, turned off. My current Starmate 5 is hooked up to a switched power outlet in our Odeyssey. When the car turns off, the Starmate turns off. And when the car is turned back on, the Starmate simply powers back up right away & tunes into the previous channel. No need to hit the power button. Is this "power connect"? Or is it maybe something else & the old Stratus 5 already did this anyway?

Last edited:

blacknoi

Oct 14, 2008
What exactly is the "power connect".

According to this:

Stratus 6 Dock & Play Radio + PowerConnect Vehicle Kit - Shop Sirius Satellite Radio

Power connect lets the vehicles electrical system become the antenna to transmit to your FM radio's free fm frequency.

Do-It-Yourself Installation with PowerConnect is quick and effortless: Just plug it into your vehicle's power adapter socket to enjoy live Satellite Radio directly through your FM radio.

mcf57

Dec 5, 2008
oh, OK. I think I remember getting something like this with my Starmate 5, but I was able to connect it directly to an AUX port in my Odyssey so I have nice clear sound & had no use or didn't worry about this "power connect" option.

My original Starmate Replay and Xact XTR3 units have great FM transmitter, but these are pre-FCC mandated models. I use them for the house only with home dock kits & am able to broadcast the signal to various fm radios in rooms on the main floor and in the basement. Just for kicks, I did happen to try the FM transmitter on the Starmate 5 and it is pathetic. I know the reasons (FCC mandated) for the poor quality, but I thought this was pretty useless. I guess this 'power connect' option helps solve this problem if needed.

In case I am in a situation where I would need to use the 'power connect' option in a car, how good is this approach? I know its probably not as good as an AUX connection or using an FM modulator antenna adapter, but hopefully its a LOT better than the current built-in FM transmitters & still curious how their quality has been.

Last edited: