Stratus 5 & power connect?

mcf57

Dec 5, 2008
I was trying to get the Stratus 6 deal they currently have on the SIRIUS site for subscribers (Stratus 6, power connect & home dock), but it is continuously sold out. I'm really in no hurry, but I thought about just getting the Stratus 5 instead. However, will the Stratus 5 work with the new 'power connect' hardware? Or was this device specially designed for certain radios like the Stratus 6?

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Educate me on PowerConnect.

I use it the same exact way I would a normal car dock, except somehow, it magically takes the FM signal through the car's electrical system? My old setup I used a AUX-In on the front of the stereo. Now, instead of Aux-In, it'll use the electrical system?

Could I keep my standard stereo in there and just tune it to whatever FM station? Would I get interference from nearby FM stations?

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008
If your stereo has an aux-in port, always use that.

Powerconnect simply used the wiring in your car as an FM antenna, so the signal near your stereo is much stronger and should eliminate interference. However, it's still FM. The best sounding connection is the aux port.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
If your stereo has an aux-in port, always use that.

Powerconnect simply used the wiring in your car as an FM antenna, so the signal near your stereo is much stronger and should eliminate interference. However, it's still FM. The best sounding connection is the aux port.

Agreed, but when you don't want to replace your OEM radio with an aftermarket and make it all the more attractive to thieves.

dclark61

Jan 11, 2010
The PowerConnect technology is all about the Docking cradle (for the car) and the 5 Volt Power Adapter. So if you buy the radio and dock it with this, it will be great.

SIRIUS PowerConnect Vehicle Dock and Power Adapter

People with Sportster 5, original Stratus, Stratus 4, Stratus 5, Starmate 3, Starmate 4 and Starmate 5 will all fit in and work with this as well.

I ordered and received this dock (without instructions ... sigh). I have a Starmate 4. How do I use it? Do I need to set the FM Transmitter on the ST4 and then tune into that FM station? When I do this I get the Sirius channel, but the sound quality doesn't appear to be any better than if I use my regular dock, getting the FM signal via my antenna instead of the PowerConnect. How do I know the signal is actually going through the PowerConnect?

Thanks in advance.

mcf57

Dec 5, 2008
I recently wound up getting a new Stratus 6 with the new Power Connect docking cradle. It's a nice simple radio with not a lot of features compared to the Starmate 5 (which I have as well). But for the price I got it at ($20), I'm not complaining too much. I used it in a vehicle and like you mention, you basically set the frequency on the SIRIUS radio through the menu system. Then tune it to the same station on your FM radio in the car.

While I think it is LOT better than the lame low power FM transmitters built into my Stratus 6 and Starmate 5, it still seems to have some interference. I was expecting a little better quality, but it can be doable in a pinch. I normally have my radios hard wired into an AUX port (in two vehicles) so not complaining too much as this is the best way to connect a radio in a car anyway.

I think its probably better for talk programming as opposed to music channels. I also think if you can manually make your radio "mono" somehow, that will eliminate some of the static as well. Of course, if you put it in mono, the quality for music will not be there; hence another reason it is probably better for talk programming. Just my 2 cents.

dclark61

Jan 11, 2010
Thanks for your reply.

Well, from the various posts and reviews I've read about PowerConnect, I was expecting much better performance that what I'm getting. I'm pretty disappointed. It's really very difficult for me to hear any difference between the sound quality with the PowerConnect, and without it. And I'm tuned into an FM frequency that's not used by any local stations.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
This seems like a good idea for people who don't wish to remove their factory-installed OEM car radio.

:)

It does seem curious that a direct connection has FM interference. Hmmm.. PowerConnect 2 anyone?