Stilletto questions - thinking or upgrading my starmate

SonDan

Nov 15, 2008
oldschoolmusiclover.com
Hello everyone.

I am a longtime Sirius user and was a member of Sirius Backstage (R.I.P.) and am glad to finally have found this forum.

I am getting a bit annoyed now of carrying my trusty Starmate back and forth between the car (for my commute) and my bedside (for late night Radio Classics).

I don't want the expense of a second subscription/radio on my fixed budget so I had been thinking about getting a stilletto for its portability.

Three questions though:
(1) Is there a radio trade-in program since I won't be using the starmate if I get the stilletto

(2) Does the stilletto really get decent reception? How? What type of antennae is used? Can I literally walk around with it and get reception or must it still be tethered to an antenna like the starmate?

(3) I don't recall seeing the stilletto at Radio Shack or Best Buy. Can I purchase it retail or must I buy it online?

Thanks for you help.

SonDan

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Hello everyone.

I am a longtime Sirius user and was a member of Sirius Backstage (R.I.P.) and am glad to finally have found this forum.

I am getting a bit annoyed now of carrying my trusty Starmate back and forth between the car (for my commute) and my bedside (for late night Radio Classics).

I don't want the expense of a second subscription/radio on my fixed budget so I had been thinking about getting a stilletto for its portability.

Three questions though:
(1) Is there a radio trade-in program since I won't be using the starmate if I get the stilletto

(2) Does the stilletto really get decent reception? How? What type of antennae is used? Can I literally walk around with it and get reception or must it still be tethered to an antenna like the starmate?

(3) I don't recall seeing the stilletto at Radio Shack or Best Buy. Can I purchase it retail or must I buy it online?

Thanks for you help.

SonDan

1) I think the trade in program is called e-bay. :)

2) I believe the antenna is the same if used in the car dock or home dock. It comes with antenna headphones which are pretty good. You can walk around with it as long as you are within a repeater range or with clear view of the sky. You won't likely be able to walk down to your basement with it unless you are next to a repeater. However, if you have WiFi in your house, you will be able to walk to your basement and listen to Sirius online anywhere within WiFi range with your SL2.

3) It is available by retail. Or you can get it at TSS Radio. The only advantage to BestBuy would be the extended warrentee.

I hope that helps.

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
No, Not that I know of, Nothing official. You'd have to sell or ebay it on your own to get anything out of it.

The stiletto has a built in Antennea but the reception with that alone when you are indoors away from a repeater is not the best. When in a home dock or car dock though, it uses an antennea just like you use for your Starmate, it plugs into the dock, and works well. However, it also comes with antenna headphones you plug into the bottom of the Stiletto and that works okay outside in open areas, but again, not so great indoors. If you have the premium internet service, you can use that on your stiletto and a wifi connection to listen anywhere in your house regaurdless of sat signal, though. This is a good feature.

This really depends on your area, I think. Walmart no longer carries them around here, but my Local Radioshack still has the Stiletto 2 in stock, and so does Best buy. Otherwise, check out tssradio.com if you are buying online!

Hope this helps.

Reactions: IdRatherBeSkiing

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
True. TSS did have an extended service plan available, and their customer service is KILLER. There are lots of unsolicited testimonials floating around the DRC.

I know we all want instant gratification but I think any new radio I buy will have to come from TSS. They are great to all of us, have the best service and really support these forums. If there is indeed a new portable being announced, I will wait until TSS has it to buy it.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
True. TSS did have an extended service plan available, and their customer service is KILLER. There are lots of unsolicited testimonials floating around the DRC.

There are. Just one correction. I do not believe TSS offers the extended service anymore. TSS can correct me if I am wrong but I think when I bought mine, that was the deal breaker for me to go to FutureShop for the unit itself. I wanted the extra coverage. I bought all my accessories from TSS though and I can say that Tom must be personal friends with the border guards because they came here in days where cross border items usually take over 1 week.

kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
As great at TSS radio is, Best Buy (in my area) sells gift cards through the grocery stores. If I buy enough product at the grocery stores, I get discounts on fuel.

Sorry TSS, but if you don't want to give me fuel discounts, oh well. I'll still promote you though.

Anywhoo, there is a new connector coming out that can turn your iPod touch or iPhone into an XM radio. This may be worth a look, as the Stiletto's memory is very corruptable and the internal antenna doesn't really work (at least in my experience.)