Stiletto worth it?

crewguy

Oct 17, 2008
I was thinking of getting a Stiletto to use as a portable and in a car. Are they ok as far as picking up? I know the line of sight and walking under objects. I also could care less about recording stuff. Recommendations?

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
I was thinking of getting a Stiletto to use as a portable and in a car. Are they ok as far as picking up? I know the line of sight and walking under objects. I also could care less about recording stuff. Recommendations?

It's going to depend on your location with regards to using it as a portable. Do you have Sirius now? I so, take at look at the "antenna aiming" and see how much of your total signal is from terrestrial.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Still love mine. Recorded content and uploaded mp3's are helpful. Wi-fi works better for me than picking up live signal. I won't wear the headphone antenna that they give you, and I haven't made one of the antenna adapters that you see on the DRC site.

I would think that there will be a new portable radio introduced in mid to late 2009 if you can wait for a while.

monty

Oct 15, 2008
Bumpass, VA
The SL2 has been one of the best electronic deals for the money I have bought in a long time. Worth every penney. I have used the WIFI in hotels and airports around the world without very many problems.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Having owned the SL2 and using Wifi a great deal I think the SL2 is the best radio out there today. But with that said, I have also tested out the XMp3 and other than the Wifi which it doesn't have, it is superior to the SL2 in almost every way. The good part is that the graphics in terms of channel icons and backgrounds are always kept up to date. The recording has no major issues. So, unless you just want a Sirius tuner and wifi then the SL2 is the way to go. If you can deal with XM since the music channels are practically the same now and Wifi is not important, then the XMp3 would be my clear choice.

down4six

Oct 14, 2008
Southern Colorado
www.twitter.com
I was just looking at the Xmp3 last night in crutchfield, I was little jealous at all it had.....

I have had my SL2 with a 4 gig SD card for about 6 months now, and am really happy with it. I have both home and car adapters, and have used the wi-fi, and the antenna headphones as an antenna (but the sound quality isn't too shabby), and even hooking it up and putting it on the dash. Never had any issues with the unit itself (some with MSS interacting with it, but we know what a steaming pile MSS is). I would reccomend it.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
Having owned the SL2 and using Wifi a great deal I think the SL2 is the best radio out there today. But with that said, I have also tested out the XMp3 and other than the Wifi which it doesn't have, it is superior to the SL2 in almost every way. The good part is that the graphics in terms of channel icons and backgrounds are always kept up to date. The recording has no major issues. So, unless you just want a Sirius tuner and wifi then the SL2 is the way to go. If you can deal with XM since the music channels are practically the same now and Wifi is not important, then the XMp3 would be my clear choice.

Dab:

What makes it superior? Hopefully, if it is a better device then SIRIUSXM will be making this for the Sirius side too.

I saw a while ago that Directed Electronics will NOT be making Sirius radios anymore.

nafddur

Oct 18, 2008
The SL2 has been one of the best electronic deals for the money I have bought in a long time. Worth every penney.

I agree totally. The S2's not perfect, but it's the best available device for we (millions of) Stern fans.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I love my SL2. I have an 8Gb card attached so it is my MP3 player as well (although it could use improvement in this area). I find the SL2 antenna headphones are very comfortable. If you get an SL100 get these antennas as an add on.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Dab:

What makes it superior? Hopefully, if it is a better device then SIRIUSXM will be making this for the Sirius side too.

Just right off the top of my head, automatically updating channel icons and wallpapers, ability to record 5 channels at one time. No memory issues with little hope of getting them fixed by Sirius. No issues with using all the memory, having saved songs as well as hours and hours of auto recorded content, not to mention scheduled recordings. Program guide built into the device so that as you are surfing through the programs you can automatically schedule recordings. Those are just a few things.

The one thing though that it doesn't have which if you are an SL2 user is the Wifi and that is hard to get around because many use wifi over worrying about trying to get a sat signal. Though in most cases XM has many more areas covered with repeaters and often times getting a signal inside is a lot easier than with Sirius.

I always enjoyed my SL2, but the fact is that many including myself couldn't really make use of all the memory because of the memory issues of losing recorded content. I was never personally that bothered by it because I just cut my memory use down to about half and so there was never a problem. But Sirius poor support and even now weeks later and still no channel icon and wallpaper update and who knows they may not do it for months. I just look at the SL2 as a device you settle for what you get where as the XMp3 is a device that actually almost takes care of itself, though in all fairness there are a few bugs with it, but nothing major like the SL2.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I always enjoyed my SL2, but the fact is that many including myself couldn't really make use of all the memory because of the memory issues of losing recorded content. I was never personally that bothered by it because I just cut my memory use down to about half and so there was never a problem. But Sirius poor support and even now weeks later and still no channel icon and wallpaper update and who knows they may not do it for months. I just look at the SL2 as a device you settle for what you get where as the XMp3 is a device that actually almost takes care of itself, though in all fairness there are a few bugs with it, but nothing major like the SL2.

I thought for sure somewhere in that you would have brought up the issue of the playlists. :)

The biggest bug I have heard with the XMP3 is battery life and occassional resets which do cause you to lost recorded content and schedules. The real question is now that Sirius XM is one big company ... will the XMP3 be supported in the same model as the SL2 or as the Inno? If its like the SL2 there may not be a quick fix for these issues.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I thought for sure somewhere in that you would have brought up the issue of the playlists. :)

The biggest bug I have heard with the XMP3 is battery life and occassional resets which do cause you to lost recorded content and schedules. The real question is now that Sirius XM is one big company ... will the XMP3 be supported in the same model as the SL2 or as the Inno? If its like the SL2 there may not be a quick fix for these issues.

Yes the playlist issues and the poor implimentation of the microSD card are all true negatives for the SL2. The XMp3 reads the microSD card in the background while still allowing you access to the menu whereas the SL2 makes you wait till it completely reads that card. No ability whatsoever to create on the fly playlist, this of course can be done with the XMp3 even on the fly. In fact creating playlist on the SL2 is a freaking nightmare period. (Happy now IRBS) LOL

Yes, I've heard about the issue with the battery life, though it doesn't seem to be impacting everyone just as the reset issue doesn't seem to impact everyone. But at this point who is driving the support of the XMp3? Is it the same clowns that are handling it for the SL2? If so who knows when those issues will be addressed for the XMp3. Still given a choice of bugs, I'd take the one for the XMp3 which seems rather rare for most users as opposed to the more predictable and easily duplicated on the SL2. Though I guess there are two ways to look at that. Predictiable gives you a work around, sporadic issues do not.

In my mind the choice really breaks down to the Wifi feature? If you want it there is only one choice. If you don't then the XMp3 would be the better choice.

Musicologist

Nov 22, 2008
DAB:

Is the memory issue a problem with ALL SL2's, including the ones currently in stores, or was the problem limited to the initial radios that first hit the stores when it was brand new?

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
DAB:

Is the memory issue a problem with ALL SL2's, including the ones currently in stores, or was the problem limited to the initial radios that first hit the stores when it was brand new?

I have no idea to be honest with you. But it seems I remember newer buyers also having this problem.

I have always believed that most of the memory issues on the SL2 was related to the ZAP/OS. They just never got it fined tune enough to make it all work together properly. If my conclusions are correct this would mean that regardless of when you bought it that it would likely have this problem.

Honestly I did buy mine when they first came out. So, unless someone that bought one recently can chime in and state they do not have this problem, I will continue to think as I do about the ZAP/OS firmware.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I have no idea to be honest with you. But it seems I remember newer buyers also having this problem.

I have always believed that most of the memory issues on the SL2 was related to the ZAP/OS. They just never got it fined tune enough to make it all work together properly. If my conclusions are correct this would mean that regardless of when you bought it that it would likely have this problem.

Honestly I did buy mine when they first came out. So, unless someone that bought one recently can chime in and state they do not have this problem, I will continue to think as I do about the ZAP/OS firmware.

The behaviour has changed over various ZAP/OS firmware upgrades too which does point to a firmware problem. It is not always consistent over the same SL2 either so it really hard to guage what actually triggers the issue.