Stiletto - Audio Output

hol4

May 28, 2009
Hi All,

When I plug in my headphones into my Satellite I notice that only one side of my earbud has sound.

Only when I apply pressure to the base of my earbud plug (allowing the metal/male portion to tilt in the socket/female portion of the stiletto) do I get sound on both earbuds. It's not the earbuds themselves as they work fine on all other systems, so it seems like a hardware problem with the stiletto??

Maybe the earbud socket needs to be re-aligned? Are there any service centers around specific to Sirius products - I'm in North NJ, or better yet is this a quick DYI problem, searched the forums and didn't find much. Thanks all.

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
I am certain your stiletto's headphone jack is the problem. We do have a guy that can repair most radios and I feel he may be able to help you out. I will PM you his contact information.

hol4

May 28, 2009
awesome, thanks for the quick response...is this a common problem with the stiletto (ie it might happen again in the future?) i always use it at the gym, and might get beat up a bit, so that could be the reason.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
awesome, thanks for the quick response...is this a common problem with the stiletto (ie it might happen again in the future?) i always use it at the gym, and might get beat up a bit, so that could be the reason.

It is a common problem with the SL100 and SL10. It is not a common problem with the SL2.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
I had 3 sl100's die this death.:ter:

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
It's common to most electronic products that have a female or receiving port. Over time it will wear out. People are experiencing these problems with regular plug and play radios. Eventually the port on the bottom gets worn out and it wont make good contact anymore and people will commonly see "antenna not detected."

hol4

May 28, 2009
It is a common problem with the SL100 and SL10. It is not a common problem with the SL2.

arrgggg, i believe i have the former...sounds like i have to sell out and get an ipod to replace this..don't want to be readjusting my jack every couple of months

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
It's common to most electronic products that have a female or receiving port. Over time it will wear out. People are experiencing these problems with regular plug and play radios. Eventually the port on the bottom gets worn out and it wont make good contact anymore and people will commonly see "antenna not detected."
ive had many portable audio devices over the years, my creative nomad is nearly 8 years old and still going strong... my old walkmans jacks from the 80's never seemed to have the repeated trouble that the jacks on the sl100 had. (and i used docks mainly)

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
Well, you also have to account for manufacturing. Some companies want to use a quality product for their hardware, others go cheap. I'll let the consumer decide who uses what.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
right you are, that's why I didn't buy a stiletto2. -"wont get fooled again"(or support those that fooled me thrice...)

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
I think user error has a lot to do with it too. I have been using my SL2 for a bit now and I don't have nearly the amount of problems that other people do. Maybe I am just lucky with electronics.

nafddur

Oct 18, 2008
Ditto here. I did a warranty exchange using my BB PSP with both of my 2 SL100's - both for defective headphone jacks too.

Apparently, this weak headphone jack mechanical connection has been corrected on the S2's.

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008
One thing, that I bet you could do....

If you have an old pair old the antenna pain phones, you could probably cut the wire, find the 2 wires that go to the ear buds, and splice on a nice pair of Gels earbuds, or brand of your choice. I've never tried this, but I would assume that this could be done fairly simply.

This way, you wouldn't be using the faulty jack.

Of course, if it's possible to have tss fix it at a reasonable price, do it, that's the best solution. Buf if they can not repair it, and you depend on headphone listening, this could extend the life of your radio. It's worth a try, rather than dropping several hundred on another stiletto, xmp3, slacker or some other alternative.

I rarely use the headphone jack anymore. Instead I got a 2nd home dock to put on my desk at work. The SL100 docks have a weak FM transmitter built in, so I can listen through the little clock raio on my desk.