Stiletto 2 / SL2 Help Thread for DRC Members

SSF

Oct 12, 2008
New Jersey
www.tss-radio.com
This thread should be your first stop if you are experiencing missing recordings, radio replay problems or general device issues with your SL2. I am consolidating all of my posts on this subject matter so you may find some old tips as well as see some new ones.

To ensure general stability and reduce most of the memory related issues please read these steps below.

a.) Check to make sure your SL2 has the latest ZAP. To find out what version you have, navigate to Settings >> Device >> Device Info. If your software is not up-to-date simply connect your radio to Internet Radio for about an hour and it will be downloaded. You will get a notice on your screen when the update is complete.

b.) Do not use your SL2 as an archive device and try to avoid using your internal memory over 50% for the time being. If you do a lot of recordings it's also advised to disable Radio Replays.

c.) Perform a Full Shutdown of your SL2 at least once a month by holding the power button down for 10 seconds. If you do a lot of recordings it's advised to perform a shutdown weekly or more for best results. This will flush the system, clean up and remove old and expired recordings/replays and reduce general screen lag. For some this simple step has eliminated missing recordings all together. (I know I have posted this over and over but even yesterday another DRC member read the tip for the first time and it completely eliminated their SL2 issue)

d.) When updating your device software via Internet Radio or My Sirius Studio (MSS) it's best to remove your microSD card. Anytime you remove your microSD card you should perform a Full Shutdown first and NOT remove it while the device is in Sleep Mode.

e.) When using Radio Replays it's best to try to record them in small blocks of time, say 2-3 hours each. If you want 10 hours of your favorite music channel simply change the channel briefly every 2 hours or so and it will start another block of Replays for that same channel.

When you have very large Replays stored and then record several long shows (like Howard) the device has difficulty properly removing the Replay which results in you needing to do a Reset & Erase or Device Recovery to fix the problem.

Finally, SL2 owners should not consider the radio's *internal memory* to be a "permanent" storage device. The recording features are meant more as a time-shifting feature and is not intended to be used to save shows indefinitely.

joe2k4

Nov 12, 2008
I am having a n odd issue. Radioclassics isn't working on my wifi. It just says http:// error. I asked this before and no one else is having this problem. I aactually did a hard reset and downloaded all the updates again and still have the same issue. I normally wouldn't care, but I love classic radio.

leth

Jan 4, 2009
Southern Ontario
a.) Check to make sure your SL2 has the latest ZAP. To find out what version you have, navigate to Settings >> Device >> Device Info. If your software is not up-to-date simply connect your radio to Internet Radio for about an hour and it will be downloaded. You will get a notice on your screen when the update is complete.

FYI, not sure if this is worth adding to the post (and maybe I'm the only one who ever experienced this) but my SL2 didn't notify me when the firmware update was complete. I had to check the device status menu and look for it to say "Complete", then shutdown on my own and the new firmware version appeared in the menu (described in this post)

Good summary on the memory issues though

SSF

Oct 12, 2008
New Jersey
www.tss-radio.com
When I receive emails related to issues that the software update can fix I always advise the SL2 owner to tune to Internet Radio for about an hour and to just leave it on one channel. Once the device tells you it lost the connection (or tells you the update is complete) I would then perform a full shutdown, turn it back on and connect to Sat. Rad.

DaddyCanI

Jan 19, 2009
I have the same problem, Joe2k4. Radio classics displays "HTTP Error" when I select the channel via wi-fi on my SL2.

HCLogo

Dec 28, 2008
GTA, Ontario, Canada
I am having a n odd issue. Radioclassics isn't working on my wifi. It just says http:// error. I asked this before and no one else is having this problem. I aactually did a hard reset and downloaded all the updates again and still have the same issue. I normally wouldn't care, but I love classic radio.

I can't listen to Radio Classics at all online. :(

SSF

Oct 12, 2008
New Jersey
www.tss-radio.com
No Worries

I'm not sure why it's not working for either of you either. It's working fine on my SL2. Try performing a Full Shutdown by holding the power button down for 10+ seconds. It also can't hurt to make sure you have the latest software on your device by navigating to Settings >> Device >> Device Info and checking the following:

ZAP: 2.0.4.64538r
Baseband: 00.14.94

Finally, make sure you haven't used up the majority of your Loved Song memory!

If this doesn't resolve the issue with that specific channel, I have a host of other options that may help, as well as definitely resolving the missing recordings and Radio Replays.

DaddyCanI

Jan 19, 2009
SSF - yes, everything's up to date and I have plenty of memory available.

It's not that rare; I have seen this same issue mentioned many times online here at DRC & elsewhere on the 'Net. Some folks have the issue, some don't. It's clearly a bad URL.

One bad channel (on wi-fi, at that) isn't worth me factory-restoring my device. I've just resigned myself to the fact that, if I want to listen to that channel, I must be docked to an antenna.

Hopefully it'll be repaired when Sirius pushes the next update. Which... according to Sirius' typical schedule... should happen sometime around... 2010.

electricpotato

Oct 16, 2008
I bought my wife a Stiletto 2 for Christmas 2007. So it's just over 1 year old.
We've used it probably 4 or 5 nights a week to listen to Howard replays on battery. So, in short, we've used it a lot.

Over the last few weeks the unit has been acting very flaky.
If I pause it, it goes into suspend mode after a few minutes which is normal. But lately more often than not, I can't bring it out of suspend mode. I press the button, it does nothing. It just sits there. Mocking me.
I take the battery out, put it back in and *sometimes* that works. Sometimes it tells me that I need to reload the firmware. I've probably gotten that message 4 times over the last 2 months. And that sucks because all my recordings are then wiped out.

Has anyone else seen this flaky behavior? I wouldn't be surprised if I needed a new battery since we've used it so much over the last year but the battery still holds a good charge so it doesn't seem that that would be the problem.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I am looking to do a 3rd device recovery on my unit tonight. This past week it has been deleting all but 5 recordings. This usually happens when it is recording.

However, today, I listened to a bit of a recording on the way in, listened to some live sat during the day. When I went back to switch back to the recordings for the evening comute ... I had 0 recordings. It had not attempted to record during that time. They just vanished along with about 1/3 of my loved songs.

So since I can no longer trust it and there is no way to force it to do a "Updating Library" scan (which I am convinced corrects the issue), a device recovery is in my future.

Not a happy camper.

SSF

Oct 12, 2008
New Jersey
www.tss-radio.com
In your case it sounds like the recovery process is your best bet. It seems that some devices are just more prone to this then others. I wonder if something is different internally between the SL2's that came out on launch and the ones that have been sold as of late.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
In your case it sounds like the recovery process is your best bet. It seems that some devices are just more prone to this then others. I wonder if something is different internally between the SL2's that came out on launch and the ones that have been sold as of late.

Device Recovery fixed it (again). If left unchecked, the corruption would have eventually lead to those non-fatal error screens or perhaps the fatal one. The until eventually will start the corruption again and the process will repeat. It seems to be a 4-8 months cycle for me.

UncleScam

Jan 8, 2009
Springfield
Device Recovery fixed it (again). If left unchecked, the corruption would have eventually lead to those non-fatal error screens or perhaps the fatal one. The until eventually will start the corruption again and the process will repeat. It seems to be a 4-8 months cycle for me.

Wow - I get it two weeks, tops. After two weeks, the oldest recordings start to disappear. Then the recent recordings. Then the loved songs. Easily reproducable, every single time, with all five (!) of the SL2 units I've owned. (I kept returning them because Sirius told me it was a hardware issue...)

Once the corruption starts, it's a downward spiral with no end. I've even had it erase a recording WHILE I WAS LISTENING TO IT! Good times.

Allanon

Oct 17, 2008
Wow - I get it two weeks, tops. After two weeks, the oldest recordings start to disappear. Then the recent recordings. Then the loved songs. Easily reproducable, every single time, with all five (!) of the SL2 units I've owned. (I kept returning them because Sirius told me it was a hardware issue...)

Once the corruption starts, it's a downward spiral with no end. I've even had it erase a recording WHILE I WAS LISTENING TO IT! Good times.

You probably record a lot, like I do. Have you tried shutting down your unit (holding the off button 10 seconds, until the "shutting down..." message appears) at least once a week?

My SL2 used to do as yours, getting corrupted within at most two weeks. Since I've started shutting down my SL2 regularly, the corruption (lost recordings) stopped.

Try it, if you haven't yet, and let me know if it helps.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
You probably record a lot, like I do. Have you tried shutting down your unit (holding the off button 10 seconds, until the "shutting down..." message appears) at least once a week?

My SL2 used to do as yours, getting corrupted within at most two weeks. Since I've started shutting down my SL2 regularly, the corruption (lost recordings) stopped.

Try it, if you haven't yet, and let me know if it helps.

I do a weekly shutdown. This may be the reason I can go months not weeks.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
Quick question:

I remember that the old SL100 had problems with Windows Media Player 11.

Does the SL2 operate properly with WMP11 installed?

I got my wife an mp3 player for xmas and to create playlist you have to use it.

Thanks.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Quick question:

I remember that the old SL100 had problems with Windows Media Player 11.

Does the SL2 operate properly with WMP11 installed?

I got my wife an mp3 player for xmas and to create playlist you have to use it.

Thanks.

I have no issues with WMP11. I use it to sync up my card. I have not gotten playlists to work correctly with the SL2.