Stiletto 2 - no Artist & Song Seek!

Ern

Mar 9, 2010
:eek: What happened to Artist/Song seeks?
icon13.gif

I've had an SL10 for a couple years and I have ~100 artist alerts & ~250song alerts programmed in it:cool: I upgraded to an SL2 today for the added features (wifi, mp3s, extra storage, etc). Once I got it activated and started listening I tried to program in some alerts only to find they don't exist:( I was/am pissed:mad:

I just assumed the SL2 would have seek alerts too since EVERY other Sirius radio has them (except the sl100). Why doesn't the most advanced (imo) Sirius radio have them too?:(

IMO seek alerts are one of the best features of satellite radio! I listen to mine primarily in my home/office and always have the remote within reach to add new seeks or hit OK when a seek alert comes up. I listen to a wiiiide variety of music from country (new & prime), to Alt, underground alt, Rock, Punk, Rap, pop, hip hop, & oldschool rap and probably more I'm forgetting... I probably listen to a good 20+ stations on any given day due to all these seeks.

Is there any firmware "hack" or update to program Seek Alerts back into the OS?

There's gotta be a way....

Allanon

Oct 17, 2008
I just assumed the SL2 would have seek alerts too since EVERY other Sirius radio has them (except the sl100). Why doesn't the most advanced (imo) Sirius radio have them too?:(

I don't know why. The SL2 just doesn't have artist and song seek and there's no hack for it. :(

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Unfortunately, Sirius had to ditch the artist seek (as I remember it) as a concession to the RIAA. They were all pissy about the radios being able to record and worried that it would cost artists in lost CD/MP3 sales. I don't know of any work arounds.

Thank The Man.

And welcome to the DRC!

Ern

Mar 9, 2010
Thanks for the welcome and quick replies guys

Good to know there is a reason why it doesn't exist and that they weren't just being lazy and not coding it into the source

I am not lazy however, nor will the RIAA be coming after me... Anyone know a way to get out hands on the firmware OS source code?;)

I think that sentence, by itself, describes why the entire music industry is in the toilet.

Well, that and Lil Wayne.

:lolsign: Well said UncleScam

What was the RIAA thinking?:no: hat's how I learn about new stuff the various artists have to know I should go out and buy their CD. I guess I'll be stuck with the same ol same ol:zz:

Unless I fork over another $15 to Sirius to have them swap my subscription back to the SL10

Anyone know a way how I can swap subscriptions without having to call and get charged? Online only give the option for a new radio... not a swap. I'm with Sirius Canada if that matters:clueless:

Thanks again everyone!:)

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
Song alerts was one beauty of the SL100. I used it more than once during my 100's two year life. Not sure why the original SL2 didn't include the same feature.

shabadoo25

Oct 12, 2008
The SL10 was the only Sirius portable ever to have artist or song seek. Oddly, I believe all of the XM portables have had them.

This is what makes the XMP3 much better for music.

jmarren

Nov 25, 2009
Unfortunately, Sirius had to ditch the artist seek (as I remember it) as a concession to the RIAA. They were all pissy about the radios being able to record and worried that it would cost artists in lost CD/MP3 sales. I don't know of any work arounds.

Thank The Man.

And welcome to the DRC!

Why do the XM radios continue to have artist and song seek? I own an S10 and did not upgrade to an S2 because of the artist and song seek. I also believe it is the best feature on the portables. F the RIAA.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Why do the XM radios continue to have artist and song seek? I own an S10 and did not upgrade to an S2 because of the artist and song seek. I also believe it is the best feature on the portables. F the RIAA.

F the RIAA indeed! I'm not sure about the XM radios. I'm kickin an SL2, and even without the artist alert, it takes care of my needs pretty well.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON

XM was sued by the RIAA. Sirius chose to avoid the lawsuit and conceed.

Ern

Mar 9, 2010
XM was sued by the RIAA. Sirius chose to avoid the lawsuit and conceed.

:eek:

Damn RIAA
icon13.gif

So I might want to get an Xmp3 before they stop selling them to get my seek alerts back, eh? I'm not a fan of the crappy XM reception in Canada though...

I still have my SL10 and am constantly considering "downgrading" back to it from my SL2. It is nice to have a library of my 'loved' songs though... but I reeeealllyy miss the seeks while listening for long periods at home... sl2 is nicer for using as a portable portable with no live radio with a library of my favorites and I do like the wifi ability since my gym has wifi I can use it when I work out... tough choice...

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
:eek:

Damn RIAA
icon13.gif

So I might want to get an Xmp3 before they stop selling them to get my seek alerts back, eh? I'm not a fan of the crappy XM reception in Canada though...

XM reception in Toronto is great --- they have 5 repeaters.

shabadoo25

Oct 12, 2008
Rehook up your SL10 and sit it right next to the SL2. When it goes off with a song seek, just tune your SL2 to that channel.

With all the deals they are doing to reactivate old radios, this shouldn't cost you much.

Ern

Mar 9, 2010
XM reception in Toronto is great --- they have 5 repeaters.
I'm in the Vancouver suburbs... Langley in the Fraser Valley. I don't think there are any repeaters out here and I use my radio quite a bit when 4x4ing/offroading & camping with mountains and trees all around, so I don't think the low level XM satellites would work as good as Sirius does

Rehook up your SL10 and sit it right next to the SL2. When it goes off with a song seek, just tune your SL2 to that channel.

With all the deals they are doing to reactivate old radios, this shouldn't cost you much.

haha that's not a bad idea. Sounds like a bit of a pain, but it would be worth it :buttrock:

Do they have these deals advertised anywhere? Or do you know of someone who has gotten a good deal to reactivate that I could ask to see what they're paying? I'm with Sirius Canada with 5 current subscriptions if that matters:clueless:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I'm in the Vancouver suburbs... Langley in the Fraser Valley. I don't think there are any repeaters out here and I use my radio quite a bit when 4x4ing/offroading & camping with mountains and trees all around, so I don't think the low level XM satellites would work as good as Sirius does

I think Vancouver has 2-3 XM repeaters. XM has more repeaters due to their sat position. Sirius sats are the same angle now except they still have 1 out of 3 of their old ones on as well. For me Sirius reception is much more flaky than XM (I have no Sirius repeater in range). This was not the case before they launched the new bird. I think with the new sat, Sirius needs to deploy more repeaters.

haha that's not a bad idea. Sounds like a bit of a pain, but it would be worth it :buttrock:

Do they have these deals advertised anywhere? Or do you know of someone who has gotten a good deal to reactivate that I could ask to see what they're paying? I'm with Sirius Canada with 5 current subscriptions if that matters:clueless:

The deals are with Sirius-USA or XM-USA.