Stiletto 2 MircoSD Cards

Chicago_Doggin

Jun 10, 2009
What's the largest card I can put in my Stiletto 2? I'm running out of space without a card and Micro Center has a 16GB Mirco SD for $49.95. Will the S2 recognize that large a card? Is there any downside to using one that large? I recall a post years ago saying something about a 2GB card making boot up very slow.

sadat1914

Aug 4, 2009
Yeah I got a 16gb about a month ago and have had absolutely no problems whatsoever. The Stiletto took it without a hitch, just did a quick format before I put it in. I haven't notice it loading any slower then the 8gb.

Plowboy67

Feb 26, 2009
SE MN
Heck that's a heck of a deal! I'd like to get one if they're still on sale. Is that a local store in Chicago or is it online?

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008
You can get a Sandisk16gb on Amazon for [ame="http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-SDSDQ-016G-A11M-Sandisk-16GB-Microsd/dp/B001F6YRNO/ref=pd_cp_e_3"]$40 plus shipping.[/ame]

For some reason the link won't take you to the $40 page.

Last edited:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Yeah I got a 16gb about a month ago and have had absolutely no problems whatsoever. The Stiletto took it without a hitch, just did a quick format before I put it in. I haven't notice it loading any slower then the 8gb.

The more stuff you have on the card, the slower the SL2 will load. If you have 8Gb on a 16Gb card, it will be the same. However, if you fill it, it will take longer to reboot.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
The more stuff you have on the card, the slower the SL2 will load. If you have 8Gb on a 16Gb card, it will be the same. However, if you fill it, it will take longer to reboot.

Yes that was always one of the biggest turn off for me in regards to the SL2. I always hated how long it took to restart with the larger cards. They must have gone with the cheapest card reader they could find on these devices, not to mention the lagging menu's and stuff when you first start it as well. Once the memory card is fully read it settles out, but what a pain. Then again when you think about other devices such as phones many of them have 2GB limits so that maybe why.

On the flip side of this part of the problem too is their implementation. I think on the XMP3 the card reader actually works after restart, instead of trying to read the card during the start up.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Yes that was always one of the biggest turn off for me in regards to the SL2. I always hated how long it took to restart with the larger cards. They must have gone with the cheapest card reader they could find on these devices, not to mention the lagging menu's and stuff when you first start it as well. Once the memory card is fully read it settles out, but what a pain. Then again when you think about other devices such as phones many of them have 2GB limits so that maybe why.

On the flip side of this part of the problem too is their implementation. I think on the XMP3 the card reader actually works after restart, instead of trying to read the card during the start up.

I think the SL2 reads the card because it assumes with every power off that you have removed the card and added a song or removed a song. So they completely discard all the indexing they have done on the card and start from new. Not the best implementation but the brute force will always work -- eventually.

The XMP3 reads the card on demand?

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
The XMP3 reads the card on demand?

Not on demand, just after it fully boots. It immediately start updating the database soon as it boots, so therefore it boots much quicker. Since it isn't having to boot and read the contents of the card, it does it much faster when it does. It is just a much better way to do it. The SL2 really suffers because of the way it was done in my opinion. Not to mention the issues with playlist, playlist on the fly which are all available on the XMP3 player. Also sometimes on the SL2 I had to totally take the card out, let the SL2 boot without it, then put it back in there to get the database to actually update. So, while I understand what you are saying it never really worked the way you stated it for me.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Not on demand, just after it fully boots. It immediately start updating the database soon as it boots, so therefore it boots much quicker. Since it isn't having to boot and read the contents of the card, it does it much faster when it does. It is just a much better way to do it. The SL2 really suffers because of the way it was done in my opinion. Not to mention the issues with playlist, playlist on the fly which are all available on the XMP3 player. Also sometimes on the SL2 I had to totally take the card out, let the SL2 boot without it, then put it back in there to get the database to actually update. So, while I understand what you are saying it never really worked the way you stated it for me.

I think the SL2 has bugs in their implementation. I think the way I stated was how they intended it to work but that is not in practice how it behaves.

Mikey394

Dec 19, 2008
Red Lion, Pa.
At least the sd slot on my SL2 works. I've never managed to play anything off the sd card in my xmp3.

I also have both SL2 and XMP3 Radios.
I use a Class 2 Sandisk 8gb card. I loaded all my songs using the Yahoo software that came with the SL2.

I also swap the same card between both radios. The XMP3 reads and plays all the songs.

The XMP3 loads quicker but the SL2 playlists/options are better while playing mp3s.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
The XMP3 loads quicker but the SL2 playlists/options are better while playing mp3s.

The SL2 has playlist options? Since when? You can't make playlist on the fly, you can't add or remove songs from playlist? So I am not sure what you call playlist options. I found the SL2 a nightmare to create playlist using the SD Card.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
The SL2 has playlist options? Since when? You can't make playlist on the fly, you can't add or remove songs from playlist? So I am not sure what you call playlist options. I found the SL2 a nightmare to create playlist using the SD Card.

LOL
He shared the nightmare with us all at SBS too. :)

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
LOL
He shared the nightmare with us all at SBS too. :)

Hehehe, I did indeed! I found it most ridiculous that a $270 sat radio/mp3 player couldn't do basic things that a $29 generic MP3 player could do with ease. To this day I still feel the SD Slot and design for the use of it on the SL2 is the absolute poorest I've ever seen. It was one of the very reasons I ditched my SL2 and got into an iPod Touch! Which was the best decision I ever made!

Mikey394

Dec 19, 2008
Red Lion, Pa.
Boy I messed that up.
I should have said I like the way you can Shuffle songs with the SL2. And the menu system seems easier to use. I never really tried using the play lists on the SL2. Choosing Album or shuffling my songs always worked for me on the SL2. I just recently learned how to shuffle songs and make a play list with the XMP3. And yes, making a play list on the fly with the XMP3 is a great feature.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Boy I messed that up.
I should have said I like the way you can Shuffle songs with the SL2. And the menu system seems easier to use. I never really tried using the play lists on the SL2. Choosing Album or shuffling my songs always worked for me on the SL2. I just recently learned how to shuffle songs and make a play list with the XMP3. And yes, making a play list on the fly with the XMP3 is a great feature.

Mikey it's honestly no big deal. Though IRBS will tell you that ole DAB is like a dog with a bone when it comes to playlist and the SL2. hehehe

:bluemusic: