Stiletto 2 issues

Pagersix

Feb 28, 2012
Lyons NY
I have a stiletto 2 that was used little, when it malfunctioned. Now when you turn it on,
the screen reads: error, please wait. Then another screen says "shutting down" and it turns off. The Sirius rep says the radio is shot, and I need a new one. Since I have
many accessories for this model, is it worth buying another Stiletto ( you can find new
ones on EBay) or is this model prone to breakdown? I would hate to spend over $300.
for a unit that is going to fail again soon. Thanks

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
It has quirks. When your SL2 starts showing signs of corruption (losing recordings, etc.), doing a R+E then can prevent full scale OS corruption.

A device recovery (if you can get it to work) may still work for your current unit. You will need to force the error mode by holding down 2 of the buttons (forget which 2) and then powering on.

me_rubin

Oct 11, 2008
Herndon, VA
I would get those device Errors and other issues and then would do the device recover for about a year before it finally stopped working. I toyed with the idea of buying a used stiletto over ebay, but finally got a new unit. ( Lynx)

The stiletto features are still the best, but Sirius is not supporting the unit, so that is why I went with the lynx. I'm hoping that Sirius will add the timed recordings to the Lynx features, that is what I miss most.

jharrison29

Nov 17, 2008
Thanks for this post.
My SL/2 only displayed 'error' and then shutdown as soon as it displayed the 2nd dot as it was starting.

The links here told me that starting while holding the options and display buttons would place it into recovery mode. It then performed as mentioned in the prior posts, took about 10 minutes to recover. And of course, lost everything that was setup.

Jon

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Thanks for this post.
My SL/2 only displayed 'error' and then shutdown as soon as it displayed the 2nd dot as it was starting.

The links here told me that starting while holding the options and display buttons would place it into recovery mode. It then performed as mentioned in the prior posts, took about 10 minutes to recover. And of course, lost everything that was setup.

Jon

So you're back up and running?

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
I thought I'd be able to do a device recovery since my son loaded a virtual Windows XP on our laptop. Got my hopes up for nothing because the SL2 goes immediately to the error, connect to a PC message when I install the battery. It will shut off via the power button, but not come on.

I'm sensing it's more than a software issue. I've read TSS' repair categories and will call them tomorrow to explain my situation and include a note with the radio to see what they can do.

Bought it in 01/10 and I've got a lifetime attached to it. Standard fare for TSS is $50 which is less than $75 for a transfer. I'm glad I bought a refurbished SL2 a couple of years ago. I don't want to go to the bullpen unless my current unit is unrepairable.

Good thing I've got a 32k internet feed. Using my son's Ipod for work til things sort themselves out. No satrad is the pits.

Reactions: HecticArt

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
Getting ready to make the 10am call, radio is ironically packed in the same box as my backup SL2 they were kind enough to sell me for a scant 99 bucks two years ago. Gotta find out their new address and rely on Taylor, Harper, Droo, Matt, Richard , Alex or Ray to work their magic.

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
Richard called within 90 minutes of leaving a voice mail. You cannot contact them directly, but as you can tell their response time is quick.

Droo is the repair and systems guy and he's currently in his hometown (Bangor, Maine). Richard advised me to e-mail Droo with my situation and see if he'll be able to help.

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
Now were talking. Got an e-mail from Droo. Very detailed and informative, he's got my hopes up and It will be in the mail tomorrow.

I don't know how terrestrial radio listeners put up with so many interruptions and commercials. Borrowed my son's iPod touch and customized a playlist. It acted up for a couple of days and the radio sucked the big one. Reset the touch and synched a library that will have to do until my repaired/refurbished baby is safely back in my arms.

Transferring my lifetime to another receiver is a last resort. Droo's handiwork even comes with a six month warranty. Can't ask for much more.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Dig!
Good luck and keep us posted.
Between all of the commercials, limited selection, and station drift, I can't take terrestrial either.
Satellite is so much easier for me on a day to day basis too.

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
USPS tracking showed Droo signed for my insured parcel Thursday at 12:01pm (sent it on the evening of the 8th). He e-mailed me Monday stating that he'd send an invoice number and I could pay TSS by phone.

So far so good for interested followers. I'll have to see what the doctors diagnosis is and the best course of action.

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
Got a fateful e-mail from Droo on 1-7 detailing his efforts and the chipset separation from board when the receiver overheats.

I'll call them during the week to see what's on the shelf and what to do with my old ESN to setup the future with backup hardware without spending a fortune.

Lol, a dead receiver (similar to mine, but minus a six month old battery) is on Ebay for 9.99. Bats on Amazon are 11.99. Weighing my options with the always awesome TSS crew as my primary option.

Redundant quote of the week: no satrad status officially sucks. Currently subsisting on internet listening on the PC & occasional in dash tunes the once or so a week I drive the family sedan.

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
Got a fateful e-mail from Droo on 1-7 detailing his efforts and the chipset separation from board when the receiver overheats.

I'll call them during the week to see what's on the shelf and what to do with my old ESN to setup the future with backup hardware without spending a fortune.

Lol, a dead receiver (similar to mine, but minus a six month old battery) is on Ebay for 9.99. Bats on Amazon are 11.99. Weighing my options with the always awesome TSS crew as my primary option.

Redundant quote of the week: no satrad status officially sucks. Currently subsisting on internet listening on the PC & occasional in dash tunes the once or so a week I drive the family sedan.

I hope you resolve your radio issue and get your SXM back soon.

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
Took the plunge this evening. Logged in and switched my ESN's, had the $75 automatically charged and activated within seconds.

Called TSS and went all in with a donation of my defective SL2 so Droo could cannibalize it for parts. Gave them a inventory of new accessories and good/bad receivers with the goal of scoring a backup SL2 for many years down the road.

The dead one was purchased in Jan of 2010. Got an SL10 for Christmas of 2007. Switched to a second hand SL100, but it only lasted 18 months. It's Stiletto 2 or bust for this kid. Nothing beats the power of the love button.

Anybody have one collecting dust that still works drop me a PM or post in the hardware exchange forum.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
The Stiletto graphic updates (if I remember right) were tied specifically to system software updates that they rarely provided. When they quit supporting the Stiletto, what you had, was what you had. They were great radios, except for the buggy software. It's too bad they didn't have that sorted out.