Stiletto 2 Antenna Neccesary?

pataspen

Jun 13, 2015
Hi all,

I just joined the forum.

I've been a Sirius subsriber for many years and have a Sportster in the car as well as an online account. I recently purchased a used Stiletto 2 on eBay for cheap. It only included the radio... no battery, charger or headset. I was able to buy a battery and charger. Still not a whole lot of money, so I thought I was doing well.

My plan is to attach the Stiletto to the handlebars and use it on my bike for bike touring. Hopefully I can hook it up to a mini-speaker so I won't need to use headphones while pedaling. I figured it would be good to listen to Sirius while spending long days in the saddle.

But the reception is not good. When I plugged in a pair of generic earbuds it did not improve the reception. A quick internet search showed me there are "antenna headsets" for the Stiletto.

Options include the "over the head" style and the earbud type. So my questions are:

1) Does the "over the head" style work a lot better than the earbuds for improving reception?
2) Do the official Sirius earbuds act as an antenna are or they simply headphones?
3) Will generic earbuds do the same thing? Or a mini-speaker plugged into the audio jack?
4) Will the Stiletto work decently without any antenna and only a set of headphones?

Sorry for all the dumb questions! I apprecitate any info you can provide.

Pat

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Welcome to the forum.

If you get the SL2 antenna headphones, it will work as a headphone and an antenna. If you plug them in and put them around your neck, you can use regular earbuds as well and the antenna in the antenna headphones will work. Regular earbuds will do nothing for reception. The SL2 built in antenna in most cases bites. My first SL2 it was adequate but not great. When that one died, the replacement one's internal antenna sucks. Both work great with the antenna headphones.

They will also work inside if you put them in the window (assuming you have a window pointing to a sat) and plug a line in/out to the headphone jack if you don't have a dock.

Be sure to get the SL2 version and not the SL100 version. The SL100 versions were called pain-phones by those who used them. The SL2 ones are over the ear.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Welcome to the DRC Pat.
Not a dumb question at all.
The antenna version of the headphones is necessary for reception, but even those weren't great. A lot will depend on where you are in the world. The buds have no antenna, and you won't get much signal without.

In our archives, the Sirius Backstage, someone had instructions on how to make an antenna that you could plug your own phones into. It was supposed to have helped.

Keep us posted, and welcome again.

Sent from Tapatalk

pataspen

Jun 13, 2015
Thanks to both of you for the quick reply. HecticArt, that is sort of what I was thinking "The buds have no antenna, and you won't get much signal without. " They're advertised on Amazon as antenna earbuds, but they really didn't look much different than regular generic earbuds.

So I guess my options are to go without and hope I'm in the right place in the world or buy the antenna headphones.

Reactions: HecticArt

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Thanks to both of you for the quick reply. HecticArt, that is sort of what I was thinking "The buds have no antenna, and you won't get much signal without. " They're advertised on Amazon as antenna earbuds, but they really didn't look much different than regular generic earbuds.

So I guess my options are to go without and hope I'm in the right place in the world or buy the antenna headphones.

Here is a pic of the antenna headphones.

Attachments

• $_35.JPG
    $_35.JPG
    11.2 KB · Views: 4

pataspen

Jun 13, 2015
Yep, I'll look into that one. I was hoping the earbuds would work, but iit doesn't look like that's case.

By the way, IdRatherBeSkiing, I love your moniker. There is still plenty of snow up here in Rockies... I haven't put the skis away for the summer just yet.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
We had a guy that used to modify the old antenna headphones to work with your regular earbuds.

There are a couple of threads that show you how to do the modifications yourself if you're motivated.

Using regular headphones along with the antenna headphones... - SIRIUS Backstage Forum

http://rubinsworld.com/public/Sirius/VDCHawk_Antenna_Earbud_Project_V1R0.pdf

There's a couple of other threads too if you poke around.
There wasn't enough of a market for them that anybody sold them commercially. The more streaming services and cell phones advanced, the less people wanted to fuss around with antenna.

Keep us posted.

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
The internal antenna is adequate. I think I use to get two bars on a clear day outside. If it's broke TSS Radio can repair it for a nominal fee. Ouch, I just viewed a pair of antenna headphones (on Amazon) for $150 which is outrageous. I see a pair on ebay for 49.99.

PM me if you want a new pair for less than 49.99. I'll check this thread and the hardware exchange forum in a few days.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
first off, welcome to drc pastaspen!

wow does this thread bring back memories. i loved my sl2. it was such a great step up from the s50. for me antenna headphones were a must for any sort or acceptable reception while using it on the go. like i said all they way back in 06, i would plug in the headphone antenna, put them sticking out of my backpack, and then use my normal headphones for sound. hope everything worked out for ya pasta!

oh and i forgot that ive been here since march 06. i guess i found this place just after becoming a sirius sub.

coming up on the 10 year anniversary!

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
first off, welcome to drc pastaspen!

wow does this thread bring back memories. i loved my sl2. it was such a great step up from the s50. for me antenna headphones were a must for any sort or acceptable reception while using it on the go. like i said all they way back in 06, i would plug in the headphone antenna, put them sticking out of my backpack, and then use my normal headphones for sound. hope everything worked out for ya pasta!

oh and i forgot that ive been here since march 06. i guess i found this place just after becoming a sirius sub.

coming up on the 10 year anniversary!
Your slepping is getting worse in your old age JH. PatAspen...... Not PastaPen.... :brow:

I hope both of them check in and let us know how they are doing. :D

Reactions: JHDK