Stiletto 100 Issue - Should I upgrade?

phillyguy856

Nov 6, 2008
Fellow Sirius Lovers I have a problem and I need your advice...

I have a stiletto 100 and I mainly use it to listen to Howard and I record the show every day from 6 to 12 on the east coast. Several times over the last month the recording crashes right in the middle and the unit has to be shut down and the recording is no good. I end up having to re-record the show... its starting to get a bit frustrating!

I have a Best Buy warranty for it but I really don't want to pay to have to buy a new car dock and etc and the $75 bucks to transfer my life time sub...

Is this problem normal? or should I just suck it up and upgrade to a SL2?

Jim

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
If you use the warranty exchange, you can tell Sirius that you did so and they should waive the $75 fee.

I do believe that the SL2 has more current logos and channel names, although 39/81 still say Pop2K and Cinemagic. The SL2 logos/channel names seem very current on the wireless internet side of things.

If you have any skills at a bench grinder or hacksaw, you can remove the sides of the SL100 car dock and your SL2 will fit right inside. It doesn't look pretty, but a number of us have done it and it works. Alternatively, you may be able to sweet talk someone at Lowe's or Home Depot into doing it for you.

You can also try shutting your SL100 down all the way, removing the battery for a few minutes and starting it back up. Also, make sure you have the current software updates on the SL100, but there haven't been any in ages, so I doubt this is the issue. You could also try a system recovery (or whatever it's called), but this will delete anything you have saved on the SL100.

Also, if you have to upgrade, you'll enjoy the SL2 antenna headphones much much more than the SL100 antenna headphones. :)

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
Phillyguy your receiver sounds like it's due for a device recovery. A search will reveal the procedure. Be advised it will erase your favorites and all recorded content. I agree with Kyrptonite that a complete shut down at least once a day is healthy for your Stiletto. I do it with my SL100 without any performance problems. The memory might have glitches that a recovery fixes much like defragging a hard drive on a PC cleans up the randomly saved files.

phillyguy856

Nov 6, 2008
Thanks!

Thanks for the advice, I didnt think of a reset. I just completed it I will give it a shot and see if this solves my issue! Thanks again for help!

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008
Thanks for the advice, I didnt think of a reset. I just completed it I will give it a shot and see if this solves my issue! Thanks again for help!

Did it work for you? Just curious.

I've never had a problem with my SL100 (knock on wood). I'll share a few pointers. In my opinion, their memory usage/maintenance is poor.

So I recommend the following:
After a reset, put all your own MP3s on at once, so it takes up a section of memory without fragmentation.

Turn off Radio Replay recording. It'll fill up your mem and only leads to problems. Loved songs are fine.

At least once a week, do a full shutdown and reboot. I believe there is some mem maintence upon reboot.

Whenever you delete large blocks or recorded content, do a shutdown.

Be gentle when docking and undocking and gentle with the spin-wheel. Use the remote when possible.

phillyguy856

Nov 6, 2008
Thanks for the info, I did a reset last week and havent had any issues so far. I will keep your tips in mind!

me_rubin

Oct 11, 2008
Herndon, VA
I have a Best Buy warranty for it but I really don't want to pay to have to buy a new car dock and etc and the $75 bucks to transfer my life time sub...

Jim

Jim,

I'm glad the reset seems to work, but if you want to upgrade, many of used a matt knife and sliced off the guide rails on the car and home dock of the s100 and the new SL2 works fine in it.

Just thought you'd like to know. If you search around this forum or the archives you will see some posts about it.

Enjoy,

Mike

nafddur

Oct 18, 2008
many of used a matt knife and sliced off the guide rails on the car and home dock of the s100 and the new SL2 works fine in it.

Yep, I did this over 2 years ago when I used my BB warranty to upgrade from my SL100 to the S2. Slliced off the plastic guides, and my original SL100 car and home docks are still going strong with the S2.

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
Yep, I did this over 2 years ago when I used my BB warranty to upgrade from my SL100 to the S2. Slliced off the plastic guides, and my original SL100 car and home docks are still going strong with the S2.

I'll have to remember this home remedy when I upgrade to the S2 family.

me_rubin

Oct 11, 2008
Herndon, VA
I'll have to remember this home remedy when I upgrade to the S2 family.

medium.jpg

Slicing off the bars is easy, Look at these threads below to see how we made new alignment bars.

Here were the original conversion threads I did on the Backstage forum. The pictures are still hosted so it still shows well.

medium.jpg

S100 Car Dock Conversion Thread

medium.jpg

S100 Home Dock Conversion Thread

Reactions: DAB

phillyguy856

Nov 6, 2008
This past weekend I swapped out my 100 for an SL2 at best buy free of charge. I was also able to talk the Sirius folks out of charging me the $75 swap fee for my lifetime subscription. Next stop was Staples to get an Exacto knife to alter my home kit for the new unit and that took about 5 minutes! I did buy a refurb car kit from Sirius and a new invisibleshield from TSS and I am all set! Thanks for everyone's help!

PS - Also bought another 4 year warranty with the new SL2 so I can do it again in another few years provided they still make Sirius portable units and Howard sticks around!

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
This past weekend I swapped out my 100 for an SL2 at best buy free of charge. I was also able to talk the Sirius folks out of charging me the $75 swap fee for my lifetime subscription. Next stop was Staples to get an Exacto knife to alter my home kit for the new unit and that took about 5 minutes! I did buy a refurb car kit from Sirius and a new invisibleshield from TSS and I am all set! Thanks for everyone's help!

PS - Also bought another 4 year warranty with the new SL2 so I can do it again in another few years provided they still make Sirius portable units and Howard sticks around!

Man, I've got to raise my mojo and sweet talk them out of the xfer fee. I plan on calling TSS tomorrow and ask about the extended warranty on an SL2. I tried to ring one up and didn't get info on the warranty when I was at step three of three in the ordering process (ie. credit card info).

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
It's All Good Now

Picked up the next to last SL2 at best Buy. Talked to Kyle at Sirius today and got the warranty xfer with new SID activated. The exacto knife to the SL10 home kit took no time at all. I really like the sleek features of my new SL2. Couldn't be happier with my new listening status.

It's time to put the excess hardware on the block.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Picked up the next to last SL2 at best Buy. Talked to Kyle at Sirius today and got the warranty xfer with new SID activated. The exacto knife to the SL10 home kit took no time at all. I really like the sleek features of my new SL2. Couldn't be happier with my new listening status.

It's time to put the excess hardware on the block.

We're in interesting times as SiriusXM subscribers. When my current SL2 dies, based on what i'm learning, I won't be able to warranty exchange it for any other SL2. Honestly, I think I like this move. If I was a new subscriber who saw a Sirius channel lineup that hadn't been updated (Pop2K, Cinemagic) or an SL2 with issues that have been present for several years, i'd be turned off. Hopefully, when things move closer to XM radios, we'll be able to swap channels between internet-only and satellite on a more frequent basis to keep things fresh.

Think i'd be able to trade it for XM gear? If this is the case, hopefully it'll happen after the billing is merged (hopefully later this summer, from what i've read) and I can have my Starmate 4 as a second radio and the XM-whatever as the primary radio.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
We're in interesting times as SiriusXM subscribers. When my current SL2 dies, based on what i'm learning, I won't be able to warranty exchange it for any other SL2. Honestly, I think I like this move. If I was a new subscriber who saw a Sirius channel lineup that hadn't been updated (Pop2K, Cinemagic) or an SL2 with issues that have been present for several years, i'd be turned off. Hopefully, when things move closer to XM radios, we'll be able to swap channels between internet-only and satellite on a more frequent basis to keep things fresh.

Think i'd be able to trade it for XM gear? If this is the case, hopefully it'll happen after the billing is merged (hopefully later this summer, from what i've read) and I can have my Starmate 4 as a second radio and the XM-whatever as the primary radio.

If the rumoured merge of the billing system happens, and if my SL2 dies I will transfer my lifetime sub to an XMP3. I would add the $100 and get the NFL as well.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
If the rumoured merge of the billing system happens, and if my SL2 dies I will transfer my lifetime sub to an XMP3. I would add the $100 and get the NFL as well.

One would think that if the merging happens, then someone could trade their Sirius stuff in for XM stuff at a "big box" store, but you can never be too sure.

Allanon

Oct 17, 2008
I am too dependent on the Sirius-only Canadian channels (CBC Radio one, Premiere plus, etc.) to switch to XM. I'll just have to take extra super care of my SL2!!! [It's unlikely for Sirius Canada and XM Canada to merge any time soon, anyway.] :(