Statue of Liberty's crown to re-open July 4

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
It's the 4th of July, and the Statue of Liberty is finally opened back up to make the climb to the crown!

Ever been to the crown?
Somehow been blessed enough to make it to the torch?

Out of the 7 or 8 times I've been to the city, I never managed to make it to Liberty until after they closed her off. All I could get was an 'upskirt' if you will, from the base. Still cool to see it all first hand, but I took it for granted that I'd always be able to go.
Next time I go back NYC, I'm getting inside her head.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
When my brother and I were little (7 and 5 yrs old), I used to tell him that we did fireworks on my birthday and not his because everybody liked me better.

Nice! That's something my brothers would have done to me.

Did you ever take him to Liberty? You know, that amazon saucy green French woman in the water? She's an island chick.

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
It's the 4th of July, and the Statue of Liberty is finally opened back up to make the climb to the crown!

Ever been to the crown?
Somehow been blessed enough to make it to the torch?

Out of the 7 or 8 times I've been to the city, I never managed to make it to Liberty until after they closed her off. All I could get was an 'upskirt' if you will, from the base. Still cool to see it all first hand, but I took it for granted that I'd always be able to go.
Next time I go back NYC, I'm getting inside her head.

Tell me when you want to go to NYC. We can meet.

I've lived here all my life, and I've never been to the Statue of Liberty.

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
When my brother and I were little (7 and 5 yrs old), I used to tell him that we did fireworks on my birthday and not his because everybody liked me better.

HA HA HA!!! EVIL!

I used to tell my little brother that I was possessed. (He was SO afraid of The Exorcist and I took advantage of the situation). When I wanted him to leave me alone, all I needed to do was start rolling my eyes into the back of my head and make guttural sounds. Worked like a charm! :p

Happy belated birthday, BMF!!! :smm:

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
Whippersnapper. . . . .

I couldn't find what year they actually shut down the torch. I thought it was a long time ago.

I think I read a long time ago that there was an explosion in the city that they felt could've weakened the arm of the statue, so they closed the arm and torch. I don't remember the details though. It was shut down a long time ago though.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Tell me when you want to go to NYC. We can meet.

I've lived here all my life, and I've never been to the Statue of Liberty.

Right on. We might make it out in the spring if the economy doesn't take another dive.
We were going to go back to Liberty to make the climb.

Wiki (and a couple of other sites) mention:
The Black Tom explosion of July 30, 1916 in Jersey City, New Jersey was an act of sabotage on American ammunition supplies by German agents to prevent the materials from being used by the Allies in World War I.[1]
And that the torch was closed sometime after, but never said how long after. For some reason I thought you could still go up in the 40's but I'm probably mistaken.

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
Right on. We might make it out in the spring if the economy doesn't take another dive.
We were going to go back to Liberty to make the climb.

Wiki (and a couple of other sites) mention: And that the torch was closed sometime after, but never said how long after. For some reason I thought you could still go up in the 40's but I'm probably mistaken.

That would be great! We can take you guys around NYC if ya want.

And that's right about the explosion. After I posted that I thought that I was incorrect, and the explosion actually occurred on the NJ side (NOT NYC). Now I'm remembering more of what I read since you posted that.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I was up in the crown when I was in high school. It's a beautiful view from there. The stairs are long and narrow, and the crown is hot as hell.

I never remember the torch being open. It's been closed for as long as I remember.

As far as geography goes, Liberty Island (and Ellis Island) are rather far from Manhattan relative to NJ. They are just a stone's throw from the Jersey side. Obviously most of the visitors come from NYC, but you can grab a ferry from NJ if you want.

Tickets to the crown need to be ordered in advance, and I think they are booked out into September at this point.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I was up in the crown when I was in high school. It's a beautiful view from there. The stairs are long and narrow, and the crown is hot as hell.

I never remember the torch being open. It's been closed for as long as I remember.

As far as geography goes, Liberty Island (and Ellis Island) are rather far from Manhattan relative to NJ. They are just a stone's throw from the Jersey side. Obviously most of the visitors come from NYC, but you can grab a ferry from NJ if you want.

Tickets to the crown need to be ordered in advance, and I think they are booked out into September at this point.

When we went a couple of years ago, a buddy that lived in Manhattan told me to take the first boat over, or you get screwed by the long lines of turons. (tourist / morons) He was right. By the time we left the statue, it was a total zoo. We left from battery park.

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ

As far as I remember from what I read, the arm/torch has been deemed irreparable since about 1930.