Starmate5 Kia Engine Whine

chris_g

Mar 23, 2009
I just bought a Kia Spectra on Saturday and when I hook up my Starmate 5 using the "Aux" jack via 1/8" cord I get engine whine though the radio when I press the gas pedal.

If I use FM Mod instead of hardwire to the Aux the engine whine goes away. Does anyone know how I could fix the problem so I can use the Aux port instead of the FM Mod?

thanks

Chris

Mopar86

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
www.tss-radio.com
A noise filter should take care of that. You may have to install it behind the dash. Do you have the AUX plug on the face of the car stereo or is it by the cup holder, glove box etc.?

chris_g

Mar 23, 2009
the aux port is on the center console beside the gear shifter. What is a noise filter?

Mopar86

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
www.tss-radio.com
It looks something like this:
pie5a_thumb.jpg

it will eliminate the engine feedback you are getting. Any local stereo shop or Best Buy should be able to handle something like this, or if you feel up to it i can help you out too

chris_g

Mar 23, 2009
Thank you for all of the replys. So this noise filter hooks to the audio cable between the starmate and the AUX Jack? If so that seems like a simple quick fix. I was afraid I would have to do some wiring behind the factory radio in the car.

Thanks again.

Chris

no1hedberg

Oct 13, 2008
West Virginia
Thats pretty crappy that a factory aux in doesn't have ground loop isolation. Does it make the same noise when you play an mp3 player through it? I'd bitch to the dealer about it.