Starmate 5

Pappy

Apr 27, 2009
I have been considering the purchase of a Starmate 5. They are on sale up here at the local Canadian Tire Store,

Currently I have a XM MyFi and use a car docking station on my motorcycle. Since my new company truck will have Sirius I had decided to convert from XM to Sirius for both accounts.

So the question is; will the Starmate 5 be a good receiver and does it have a good cradle connection that will survive the vibration of a motorcycle?

Will the radio, use a FM transmitter or require some sort of connection to the radio on my scoot?

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
The Starmate 5 is the same as the Starmate 4 (except it has a-la-carte capability and a new black look).

Starmate 4 is a good radio and would be perfect for a motorcycle.

It has a built-in FM transmitter that should do the trick since the radio is so close to the antenna, but you can also get a direct FM connector or AUX. Check TSS Radio for the parts you need.

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
Depending on how rural of an area you live in Canada you might not need to directly connect it. But try it first before deciding to add on an FM Direct or Aux as hex says.

As far as Motorcycle Vibrations the newer cradles like on the Starmate 5 doesn't lock in. We have a lot of packages with receivers and a Motorcycle Kit. We've had a few people with radios like the Starmate 4 and 5 and Sportster 5 that have complained that the radio keeps popping up here and there and will lose the connection. That's bound to happen simply because there is no lock on the receiver/cradle.

If you want Sturdy get the Sportster 3 or Sportster 4 those will lock into the cradle and won't be nearly as fussy.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Also, the big seller of the Starmate 5 is a-ala-carte capability which is not available or supported by Sirius Canada. So getting a cradle that locks would be more desireable.

Pappy

Apr 27, 2009
The Starmate Series doesn't lock. So you need a Receiver that locks in addition to a Cradle that Locks.

If you can wait a week or two I might send some of the locking cradles up to our Canada warehouse if you want to save on shipping.

SUPV Universal Car Dock

You have some great stuff there at TSS! So this is a locking cradle for the Starmate?

erock9174

Mar 17, 2009
got a different Starmate 5 question. I recently bought one to replace my old Sportster Replay. Both were hooked up via the FM Direct Adapter. Never had any static with my old Sportster however I am noticing some static with the Starmate 5. I know the Starmate's FM transmitter is weaker than the Sportster but I thouht when you are using the Direct FM connection that eliminates the weaker signal issue.
Can somebody help me out ?

I'd hate to have to plug it in via the aux route and add the extra wiring (since my direct fm wiring is hidden behind/under the dash).

Pappy

Apr 27, 2009
The Starmate Series doesn't lock. So you need a Receiver that locks in addition to a Cradle that Locks.

If you can wait a week or two I might send some of the locking cradles up to our Canada warehouse if you want to save on shipping.

SUPV Universal Car Dock

Tell me when and where to order TSST and I will get the Starmate as well.

Ron67

May 5, 2009
Hello All:
Been following this thread b/c my Starmate1 just died and I don't know which unit to replace it with. I need portability and 30 presets.

Currently I slide my old Starmate from the bracket, unplug the power, antenna and phono jack from the unit itself and GO - I use this technique in two vehicles and at my office. Will that slotted bracket (I believe it's called the "slide in button") work with any other units (such as Sportster 3 or 4 and starmate 4 or 5). I tried to visualize how these units mount by reading the pdfs that TSS Radio has on their site but it's hard to get a good view.
THANKS!

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
I posted in the other thread, but I know for a fact that the Starmate Replay Has this same slide in button, as I've owned it as and used it in my Starmate 1 setups. It's not as new as the starmate 5, etc, but essentially the same functionality and look as the newer ones, just not using the docking capabilities. Starmate Replay is still one of my fav Radios. I know Ebay Has several of these up there for a decent price (some are anywhere between 20-50 bucks with all accessories). TSSradio doesnt offer them anymore, sadly. The Streamer Replay (I think thats the name) is the same radio, just branded differently.

Ron67

May 5, 2009
Thanks for your help both here and the other thread. I'll see if maybe I can pick up a replay. If not I can get a ST1 from TSS for $20. The Replays you've seen on Ebay are new or just someone trying to unload their used equipment?

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
There are new ones in box for about 50 bucks I think on ebay. But most are used, but seem to be in working order.Just make sure to read the sellers description carefully and check their feedback if you go that route. If the replay features and artist seek isn't that important to you, maybe the cheaper 20 dollar replacement ST1 is better. But like I said, once I went to the replay, I didnt go back.