Starmate 4 stuck on "acquiring signal"

thestone14

Sep 11, 2009
For some reason today my Starmate 4 cut out and now there is a constant "Acquiring Signal" message. I have tried multiple stations but the message stays on and there is no sound. The weird thing is, the signal indicator shows three bars of signal strength, and when I looked at the signal strength through the menu it showed full strength. I unplugged all of the wires from the car cradle and then plugged everything back in with no success. I then, as much as I didn't want to, restored defaults. Still nothing happened. I have a radio at home, but I won't be able to try until later. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Could be the...

Radio
Dock
Antenna

Have you tried the radio in another dock?

Do you live near a repeater?
Posted via Mobile Device

thestone14

Sep 11, 2009
I have a Boombox at home, but I won't be able to try until after work. I'm not real technical, so I don't know what a repeater is.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
A repeater sends out a terrestrial signal to your radio when your radio can't get a satellite signal. Mostly used in large cities where people can't get a signal indoors.

If you go thru the menu & find the antenna aiming, you'll see if you get a terrestrial signal in the TER :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Karen!

Aug 14, 2009
Hey!
The troubleshooting in a boombox is a great idea. When you get home tonight, give us a call at TSS Radio: 773.772.4340 and we can walk through some scenarios. We're here til 7 CST and 9-3 tomorrow.
Karen

Reactions: Aaron

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
I had same issue with same exact radio. It's toast. Time to get a new one, unfortunately.

Sorry, bro.

I ran through every single troubleshooting technique I could think of to no avail. Sirius CS wasn't much help either. I figured it was a good little receiver when it lasted and allowed me to upgrade to my current Sportster without the wife bitching too much.

thestone14

Sep 11, 2009
Thanks for all the help, unfortunately trying the boombox and all the troubleshooting techniques hasn't brought any success. I've had it for several years now, and its been good to me. This has been the first problem I've had, so I can't complain too much. Looks like I just need to get a new receiver. Anyone have suggestions on a decent, yet affordable (I'm a poor college student) receiver? Again, I appreciate all the help given thus far.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
I bet you'd be able to find something good on eBay or TSS-Radio.com for cheap.

What are you looking for? Something similar to the the broken unit or something portable? I really like the new (to me) Sportster 4 and (actually new) 5.

You have to evaluate what your needs and wants are and compare that to what you can afford. All I wanted was a decent receiver to replace my Starmate 4, so I went with the Sportster. The only reason I have an XMp3 receiver is because CPT Badmotherfarker is the bomb-diggity.... in other words, I didn't need all that technology but it's cool.

Good luck!