Starmate 2's questions

mcf57

Dec 5, 2008
I just realized I might be able to get a Starmate 2. Do these have fairly good track records? Are they 'Best of XM' compatible or are they too old?

One thing I have noticed too is that the Starmate 2 appears to have the replay function (can rewind about 44mins of live material). The Starmate 3 doesn't though, but then the Starmate 4 & 5 go back to this replay function. Is this correct? If so, I wonder why they did this.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
:scratch: I think you're talking about the Starmate Replay.

It's a good radio. I have a Streamer Replay version. I don't use it anymore, but I keep it just incase I need it. It has a great FM Modulator.

Never had any issues with it.

Good luck with it :)
Posted via Mobile Device

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
I've had a couple of Starmate Replays and been happy with them. The newer Starmate 3-5's have the universal docking feature, the Replay's power/antenna/and line out plugs can break over time if you move it around a lot. The starmate 3 is a cheaper model as far as price, and why it doesn't have the replay function.

mcf57

Dec 5, 2008
OK, sounds good. Is this Starmate 2/Starmate Replay compatible with adding 'Best of XM'? Or is it too old?

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
Semi is right. It is not compatible with the best of XM as far as we know. I would say it's a safe bet that it isn't. Not sure why starmate 3's, or for that matter sportster 3's, don't have replay functions. Kinda funny.

The only problem with going to an older radio is finding components. We try really hard here at TSS to stock this kind of stuff but it isn't always easy when they aren't making it anymore. Just a tid bit to keep in mind.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
I dunno, I have XM so I haven't needed to add it to my Starmate Replay, but the "Best of XM Channels" do have their own channel category on my radio. I would bet if I added it, that those channels would open up. Take it for what it's worth.

riskybzns

Oct 11, 2008
land of confusion
it depends, there is 2 versions of the starmate replay, one with the older fm chipset and one with the newer chipset.

the one with the newer chipset will be able to get best of xm.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Starmate Reply has great FM Transmitter.

However, mine broke relatively prematurely.

I guess I'd recommend it if it doesn't break.