St2r xtr8 old firmware issue

rarey1111

Oct 23, 2009
HI guys, its been a while since my postings at the Sirius Backstage Forum but I have a question maybe someone can answer. I started a very long and lengthy thread on the oscillating signal problem with all the ST2R & XTR8 radios back in August of 2008.
http://www.digitalradiocentral.com/...-crippling-st2r-replay-xtr8-replay-units.html
The oscillating problem that was discussed was found to be a needed firmware upgrade that after Sirius changed their signal post merger was only found to be received in terrestial repeater locations. You could no longer get that upgrade if you were not in the repeater locations. Well today I was doing some repairs for some customers and happend to plug in some of these old radios I had that were experiencing this issue since last year. To my surprise NOW they are fuctioning perfectly again!! The oscillating issue seems to be completely gone. Does anyone know if this has anything to do with the new FM5 satellite put in operation? I have noticed on all my other units huge reception improvement lately but just up until 2 days ago last time I checked the ST2R radios were still oscillating. Now everything is fine. I have probably a couple hundred ST2R radios that I could sell but I dont want to find myself in the same position I found myself in last year when I start shipping them out and by the time my customer gets them the oscillating starts up again and I have to start doing refunds. If anyone has any information from Sirius if something has changed that would be great. Im going to leave this radio on over the weekend and see what happens.:bigclap:

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
I know they were working on a software fix for those but maybe they were able to update them in some other way. I think we have some of those old GTRs and ST2s here that had that problem. We will check them out.

drdroo

#1 by Women 18-24
Staff member
Oct 9, 2008
Bangor, ME USA
I have some oscillating radio boards. I will have to go back and see if they are finally working again. They worked originally, then had the problem, maybe they're ok now.

I don't have a repeater anywhere near here so that rules out the repeaters.

rarey1111

Oct 23, 2009
Thanks for the replies guys it would be awesome if this problem is gone for good. It certainly would help finally sell these radios.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
My guess is that the new sat may have capabilities the other sat doesn't and has therefore resolved the issue.

drdroo

#1 by Women 18-24
Staff member
Oct 9, 2008
Bangor, ME USA
I tried two different units and they still oscillate in a fury, even with my outdoor home antenna that has view of both sats.

rarey1111

Oct 23, 2009
I tried two different units and they still oscillate in a fury, even with my outdoor home antenna that has view of both sats.

I just realized that I had moved my antennas that were pointing to the west southwest a couple days ago since we just put up Halloween decorations to directly pointing south. Looking from the back of the antenna the area to right side of the antenna was shielded from reception of the moving satellites. I just moved the antenna back to where it was and the oscillation started again. Moving it back again directly pointing South at the FM 5 stationary satellite the oscillating stopped again. This is quite interesting and just shows the strength of the FM5 satellite to overpower the other moving sats. I will go and test out the reception in the vehicle tomorrow to see what it does then. Right now here in the Northeast I have my home antenna pointed directly South right where the moon is right now and reception is perfect.

rarey1111

Oct 23, 2009
DrDroo are you using the regular home antenna??? Can you go and move it and point them directly at the moon (south)?? We are only about 90 miles apart I am in Lewiston so we should get similiar results.

drdroo

#1 by Women 18-24
Staff member
Oct 9, 2008
Bangor, ME USA
I'm using the huge Outdoor Home antenna, it's mounted facing the west. I don't really have a great way to face south here but I have tried using the car antenna indoors, which can only get the new south satellite (the regular satellite isn't strong enough). I still get oscillation in that case too.

drdroo

#1 by Women 18-24
Staff member
Oct 9, 2008
Bangor, ME USA
One of my units eventually grabs onto a signal and starts updating the channels. We'll see if when it finishes this madness ends.

drdroo

#1 by Women 18-24
Staff member
Oct 9, 2008
Bangor, ME USA
Yeah this one updated channels and sub and the it had the problem still.

I've tried 3 different units so far. They all spike 1-2 bars or 1-3 bars. It's always a standard nterval too.

rarey1111

Oct 23, 2009
Yeah this one updated channels and sub and the it had the problem still.

I've tried 3 different units so far. They all spike 1-2 bars or 1-3 bars. It's always a standard nterval too.

Here is what I have discovered and its a fix for the ST2R and XTR8 oscillating problem. If you point a home antenna DIRECTLY AT THE NEW FM5 satellite the signal oscillation will stop and you will get a nice clean signal with no audio dropouts. Since the FM 5 is a fixed positin satellite at 96 degrees you have to have a straight line of sight. After doing this I have been able to firmware upgrade almost all of my older ST2R radios even the ones that never used to get even the Canadian channels now will after this upgrade. It may take up to 3 firmware updates and once you receive the final update the radio will work properly in all applications regardless if in a home or car setup. Once you get the final update the radio resets to channel 184 and displays 00180002 every time its powered on channel 184. Once you see this the radio will work perfectly regardless of which satellite it is receiving. You have to use trial and error while pointing at the FM5 satellite by power cycling and checking to see if the radio when powered back up goes to sirius updating please wait..................., when you see this you are getting a firmware upgrade. It may take up to as many as 3 times before you get the FINAL 00180002 upgrade which is the final step and it does permanently FIX these older radios. The time it takes to receive these updates seems to be longer until you get to the third and final one. The first 2 updates takes anywhere from 3 to 6 hours to receive and the final one seems to happen in a 8 to 12 hour period or longer. I hope this helps many of you who thought your older radios were either defective or because when you called customer service they told you that. :bigclap: