Sportster SP-R2 get's hot and stops working!

nillam1

Sep 14, 2009
My sportster SP-R2 gets real warm and will not change channels! If I leave it on one channel it works fine but as soon as I try to change channels or power it off, I have to put it in my freezer to cool off. Then works perfect, till it warms up. Any way to fix this? I would like to keep it cause it has strong FM transmitter that works all over my house.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
My sportster SP-R2 gets real warm and will not change channels! If I leave it on one channel it works fine but as soon as I try to change channels or power it off, I have to put it in my freezer to cool off. Then works perfect, till it warms up. Any way to fix this? I would like to keep it cause it has strong FM transmitter that works all over my house.

Listen to it in your freezer?

Is there any way you can increase the airflow or cooling around the until while listening? Obviously your unit needs to be cooled.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Sounds like a classic Sportster precursor to total malfunction.

Is it still under warranty?

EDIT: Strike that. Based upon the symptom and it's FM transmission capability, I have to assume it's passed it's warranty date. I'd say get ready to buy a new unit soon. These things do have a shelf life and yours, IMHO, is getting close.

nillam1

Sep 14, 2009
Sounds like a classic Sportster precursor to total malfunction.

Is it still under warranty?

EDIT: Strike that. Based upon the symptom and it's FM transmission capability, I have to assume it's passed it's warranty date. I'd say get ready to buy a new unit soon. These things do have a shelf life and yours, IMHO, is getting close.

Definately not under warranty, I bought it when Howard joined in Jan/06, as a matter of fact I am surprised it lasted as long as it did. I would leave it on for days straight. I just bought a couple used sportsters on ebay and I also bought that eclipse 4000 FM transmitter to boost signal strength X5, to 500mw. HEY NOW! :D