Sportster not CD quality.

nillam1

Sep 14, 2009
I have an original sportster with the strong fm transmitter, my reception is great! no static it sounds clear, just that the qaulity is nothing like CD qaulity. My question is if I get the anntena hookup to connect to my cars anntenna, will the sound qaulity increase? I have seen the wires on ebay that convert the fm out on cradle to aux. but I have factory stereo with no aux. inputs, although I think I can add them will the sound qaulity of the aux. inputs be better? any info will help.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Well, here's the thing.

The sound quality should improve by eliminating the static and other sound artifacts.

However, it won't improve the sound quality of the actual channels. Way back when, and lots of people will disagree with me, Sirius advertised itself as "CD Quality" sound. This, apparently, is not the case and they no longer advertise this.

Even with the best audio system setup, you won't get CD quality.

So.... I hope that answers your question.

shabadoo25

Oct 12, 2008
Too many channels and too much compression for cd quality. Some music channels have more bandwidth so they sound better than many of the talk/sports channels.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I don't think Sirius has claimed "CD quality" in at least 5 years. It's more like a slightly below average MP3 player.
Your best shot at anything remotely close to CD quality is either the DirecTV feed or the Sirius Internet Radio Premium feed.

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
If you are using the FM Transmitter (even a strong one) then you are sending the audio to your cars radio via FM meaning it cannot be better than FM quality. If you do get it connected it will sound a lot better. Look at this for help. TSS-Radio - SIRIUS Help Center - Sound Quality in your Car

The truth is so many people talk about sound quality but just don't have their Satellite Radio setup in the optimum way.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I don't think anyone here is promising CD quality. I do think that people are offering advice on how to get the best sound quality you possibly can given the equipment that's out there.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Never was CD quality even under the best of conditions. At best it sounded like an MP3 being played at 32k.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Sirius has never advertized CD quality and never will be. Some journalists published CD quality because they assumed digital was CD quality.

That said, FM transmitter is the lowest sound quality of all hookups. While it may sound clear, there are artifacts which will cause degradation in sound.

Argji

Oct 14, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
Never was CD quality even under the best of conditions. At best it sounded like an MP3 being played at 32k.

I think this is still all a bit subjective and other factors such as the quality of the car's radio come into play. Switching between my MP3s and Satellite from my Skydock there is definately a difference in quality but it isn't night and day. Granted I'm using FM direct connect so naturally the MP3s & Satellite won't sound as good as an Aux-In connection.

I will say that the overall quality on the XM side seems more dynamic than when I had subs on the Sirius side and my mini-vans stock radio is much better than my older model ford, but again that all could be subjective on my hearing (which probably is not as good as when I was young - just ask my wife!)

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
Isn't there a thread about this already? Well if not back in the day Sirius advertised "Near CD quality". If you search the forum I believe I posted an old Sirius AD advertising Near CD quality.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Too many channels and too much compression for cd quality. Some music channels have more bandwidth so they sound better than many of the talk/sports channels.

That is exactly correct! Back when the initial plan was to have about 60 channels then CD quality would have been possible. Once they reached a certain threshold though there is no way you could get CD Quality.

I still waiting on someone like Hyson to show me that advertising and literature that proves they ever advertised CD quality. Still waiting!