Sportster 5, sports ticker and NHL

deceive

Jan 7, 2010
I was wondering if someone could help me out. I tried searching the forums but couldn't find anything that answered my question.

I recently (Christmas gift) upgraded my radio from the starmate 4 to the Sportster 5. I was really excited about the sports ticker option built into the radio, specifically the NHL scores. I have everything set up correctly in the options, but for the life of me, I never get any NHL scores that display on the device. I get everything else....NFL, NCAA, NBA, etc.... I do understand that there has to be a currently live game, for the scores to display.

I called the Sirius customer support / technical help line. After having a very unenjoyable time talking to the support person (who told me, if I wanted NHL stuff, I needed to get an XM account, he obviously didn't what he was talking about. When I asked to speak to his manager, he said I would have to call back in 2 hours to schedule an appointment....then hung up on me....that's a story for another time). Needless to say, they were no help, and the people that I spoke with are very unfamiliar with their own product list.

I though perhaps it was my radio that was broken, so I went back to Fry's and exchanged it for another (brand new) Sportster 5. The same problem, NHL scores do not display in the ticker. Every other sport league works....just not NHL. Everything else on the radio seems to work just fine, game alerts, score alerts, team alerts, and the actual radio. Could it be that I have two bum radios?

Does this happen to anybody else? I am beginning to think that Sirius just doesn't offer the NHL scores in the data feed yet. And I am OK with that, if that is the case. I just cant get any help from anybody and 1888getsirius and I am at my wits end.

I have the Sirius Everything and Best of XM subscription.

Thanks in advance for any help.

deceive

Jan 7, 2010
Nobody here has a Sportster 5, or can confirm that they're NHL sports ticker on their Sportster 5 actually works?

riskybzns

Oct 11, 2008
land of confusion
even though you have best of xm, my guess would be since the games aren't aired on sirius channels that might be the reason why they aren't showing up on the ticker.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Sirius used to have NHL games. Since they lost them to XM, they do not publish NHL scores. No NHL tickers work on Sirius radios. It probably goes back to how they implemented them with game alerts and ability to change to broadcast channel built into the ticker.

The XM ticker has always just been a pure ticker and broadcast scores of games even not covered on XM.

deceive

Jan 7, 2010
Thank You all for your response. Its kind of what I had figured. Its a shame they aren't broadcast, but I guess I will just move on.
Thanks again all for the response.