Sportsmanship in all sports

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
It has always interested me watching different sports and seeing how the players on the opposite teams would interact with one another. Even on non "team" sports like tennis and golf. The sportsmanship is interesting to observe. For instance in Football, during the regular season at least you will normally see opposing players helping one another up after a play or tapping an opposing players helmet, (or butt), after a play. In Tennis, a player may clap his hand against his/her racket after an opposing players winning shot. Also in tennis when one player hits the opposing player with a ball, they will normally apologize immediately. Basketball players will usually help up opposing players after foul, etc - again, in the regular season at least; the playoffs bring on a whole different aspect of sportsmanship. Baseball I don;t recall seeing much good sportsmanship; for instance after a pitcher plunks an opposing batter, I NEVER see them hold up their hand to say "sorry". I guess it's all part of the intimidation of hitting the batter? I really can't comment on other sports like golf, hockey auto racing, etc, since I don't follow them. These good sportsmanship acts go right out the door during playoffs or even when rivals play one another like Red Sox/Yankees, Bull/Pistons in the late 80's early 90's and Bull's Knicks in the 90's. It is ALWAYS a playoff atmosphere when rivals meet during the regular season. Please add your own observations. :eek:

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
By far the greatest act of Sportsmanship in my lifetime :)

Michael Farber picks C. Washington softball players for Sportsman - 2008 Sportsman of the Year - SI.com

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
Hockey has the ultimate case of sportsmanship in the playoffs. No matter how much the two teams hate each other, or have beaten each others brains in over the course of the series, they still do the team handshake at center ice when it's all over.

Attachments

• HandShake.jpg
    HandShake.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
Sportsmanship still matters. Case in point: LeBron James. Dude was never really criticized or called out for anything -- until he didn't shake hands with the Orlando Magic after they beat the Cavs in the playoffs. A lot of folks were bothered by his lack of sportsmanship.

I like that story, semipenguin. SI had an article about that one.

Tennis players (most of them) take it to a different level. Some will even muff a shot on purpose after their opponent just got ripped off by a bad call.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgBmrFOrWeA]YouTube - ESPNEWS Top 10 Premature Celebrations[/ame]