Special Hall of Fame TV Show

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
For those that are interested. Speed is airing a special on the Hall of Fame.

From Jayski...

SPEED will air a special edition of This Week in NASCAR on Monday at 8:00pm/et. The one-hour special, hosted by Steve Byrnes, will focus on the upcoming opening of the NASCAR Hall of Fame. Joining Byrnes will be NASCAR Hall of Fame Executive Director Winston Kelly, who will give viewers a construction update and talk about exhibits, artifacts and interactive displays going into the Hall of Fame. In addition, Kelly will provide an update on the NASCAR Plaza/office tower, the NASCAR Hall of Fame brick program, as well as explaining the criteria for gaining induction to the Hall and introducing the panel members who will choose the class each year. SPEED personalities Dave Despain and Mike Joy, as well as longtime Associated Press motor sports writer Mike Harris are set to participate and debate the possible candidates for the inaugural class.

Jayski's® NASCAR Silly Season Site - NASCAR Sprint Cup News Page

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
I didn't get a chance to see it. I have to check the listings to see if/when they are going to replay it. We are going to plan a trip around the All-Star & 600 week to go down and see this place when it opens.

riskybzns

Oct 11, 2008
land of confusion
i agree with the senior writer for the ap. there should be at least 1, 2 in my eyes, media people that get elected into the hof every year or it would probably be some 8-10 years before we see one elected.

so, stay with the 5 drivers, owners, innovators and add 2 for the media side.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
i agree with the senior writer for the ap. there should be at least 1, 2 in my eyes, media people that get elected into the hof every year or it would probably be some 8-10 years before we see one elected.

so, stay with the 5 drivers, owners, innovators and add 2 for the media side.

Are you referring to the show or an article that you read?

riskybzns

Oct 11, 2008
land of confusion
well true, but i would have supplied the link to the article or posted the article.

i was only messin with you anyways. don't take it to sirius. :)

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
I didn't get a chance to see the show yet but off of what you are saying, I'd say that I don't agree. I don't have a problem with someone that is not a driver getting in. I think someone like Ken Squier or Humpy Wheeler should be able to get in there. I just feel that if five are to make it in, let it be only five. I don't think that they should make exceptions.

I tried to start a thread on this once before but it only took 5 or so posts before it became a hijacked thread. My picks were in the first post although nobody seemed to agree.

http://www.digitalradiocentral.com/nascar/2042-nascar-hall-fame-who-gets-you-vote.html

Last edited:

riskybzns

Oct 11, 2008
land of confusion
and you maybe right, but, there is sometimes, always an expection to the rule, and that should be one of them.

i wish i could remember his name, but i deleted it off my dvr earlier after i got done watching it. he mention alot of wonderful candidates and like he said, they shouldn't have to wait some 8-10 years before getting elected.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
and you maybe right, but, there is sometimes, always an expection to the rule, and that should be one of them.

i wish i could remember his name, but i deleted it off my dvr earlier after i got done watching it. he mention alot of wonderful candidates and like he said, they shouldn't have to wait some 8-10 years before getting elected.

How about all of the deserving drivers that will have to wait 8 or 10 years? I think that the most deserving of the media types will get in, in their due time. I doubt that it would take that long. Did they release some sort of statement that said that they are not going to elect anyone to the hall that is a media type for that length of time? I must have missed that.

riskybzns

Oct 11, 2008
land of confusion
Did they release some sort of statement that said that they are not going to elect anyone to the hall that is a media type for that length of time? I must have missed that.

no, nor did i say that, i just parphrased what the senior editor for the ap said, and i believe his name was mike harris. plus i'm sure there are more drivers, owners, and innovators than media people who stand out.

if i remember correctly for for a driver to be elected they have had to be in the sport for 10+ years and be retired for 3 years. last time i checked, media people are around alot longer than drivers.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Well, then I guess that statement is more for Mike Harris. I go back to my post #9. When it is their time, they will make it in.

I don't know how it works in other sports. I'd be interested in knowing that. That's not to say NASCAR has to be like everyone else. I'd just like to know.