Speaking their minds.....

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Something that I found interesting..... Maybe the rest of you, not so much but here it is anyway. I did a little search on 'fine for questioning officiating'. It is pretty amazing to me at the number of times that this occurs in other sports. In my quick search, I was not able to find where people employed in announcing positions were fined for speaking their mind but plenty of coaches and players have been. Could you imagine the outrage if that were to happen in NASCAR?

What if Kasey had been fined $10,000.00 for questioning that caution a couple of weeks ago?

Do you remember this type of thing happening in NASCAR? I don't but maybe that's my limited memory. If you can think of something, post the link to your example.

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
Last year (I think) Tony was very critical of NASCAR and Good Year about the tires and then he was fined. Although they said it was for something else he supposedly said, myself (and others) found it to be a huge coincidence he was critical and the fined in the same week.

I guess you can't prove this was a fine for questioning officiating but it seemed like it to me.

This is the only instance I can thinki of.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Last year (I think) Tony was very critical of NASCAR and Good Year about the tires and then he was fined. Although they said it was for something else he supposedly said, myself (and others) found it to be a huge coincidence he was critical and the fined in the same week.

I guess you can't prove this was a fine for questioning officiating but it seemed like it to me.

This is the only instance I can thinki of.

Yes, both Stewart & Jr. blasted Goodyear about their tires last year after the Atlanta race.....

Stewart, Earnhardt lead chorus of drivers lambasting Goodyear after race - Racing - ESPN

but he didn't get any fines after that.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
If I'm reading the whole story right, I guess that could be debatable as NASCAR had stated that he was fined for failing to meet post race interview obligations. The top three were required to report for media interviews and he skipped out. I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first or last time.

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
I guess that could be debatable as NASCAR had stated that he was fined for failing to meet post race interview obligations. The top three were required to report for media interviews and he skipped out.

Thats what I mean, he speaks his mind then gets fined for something else. It is debatable but IMO if he just skipped out and didn't speak his mind he may not have been fined but we'll never know.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Thats what I mean, he speaks his mind then gets fined for something else. It is debatable but IMO if he just skipped out and didn't speak his mind he may not have been fined but we'll never know.

True.

I guess what I am really getting at is that it is hard to find examples of this type of a fine whereas in other sports, it happens quite often that someone is fined for speaking out and nobody blinks twice. If this happened in NASCAR, people would be slamming the sanctioning body for that kind of act.

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
True.

I guess what I am really getting at is that it is hard to find examples of this type of a fine whereas in other sports, it happens quite often that someone is fined for speaking out and nobody blinks twice. If this happened in NASCAR, people would be slamming the sanctioning body for that kind of act.

Oh I agree with you 100% It doesn't happen often (if ever) in NASCAR. The fans wouldn't have it.
Although, it does seem like for the most part NASCAR has most of the drivers under control already in what they say. Or its the sponsors who do. Either way you can almost always figure out what their going to say before the mic is turned on.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
Nascar gets them in other ways than a fine. Inspection issues, speeding penalties, anything.

That's EXACTLY right. All of a sudden they will find their car as the "random" car for several races for example. It HAS happened and it DOES happen. You ruffle the wrong feathers and your weekend won't be as fun.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
LOL! :p

As much as I believe Nascar throws debris cautions to bunch up the field, I DON'T believe they penalties because I driver speaks their mind :right:

Carl Long never spoke out against Nascar until he got penalized.

Carl Edwards never said anything bad about Nascar before his oil lid cover mysteriously came unbolted :shock:

I have yet to hear Jeff Gordon or Jimmie Johnson say anything bad about Nascar, yet for the past 4yrs the two of them have been penalized more than any two driver in Nascar :eek:mfg:

Nascar pretty much lets the driver say what they want, and I think that's great :)