Space Mountain is Open Again

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I just got back from a week at Disney with the kids. :eek:
We lucked out and got to ride the just re-opened Space Mountain. :egypt:
It had been closed since the Spring, and it was scheduled to reopen this weekend. We thought we'd be out of luck.
However, they did a soft opening a few days early to run things through.
All of the changes are cosmetic/safety related. The ride itself was the same.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
ever take a flash picture while you were in there? It's cool to see the guts of the mountain.
The picture doesn't really come out very well, but you can see all of the structure and whatnot for that split second.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
ever take a flash picture while you were in there? It's cool to see the guts of the mountain.
The picture doesn't really come out very well, but you can see all of the structure and whatnot for that split second.

:)
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXyTPdOjWlo&feature=related]YouTube - Space Mountain (WDW) with the lights on POV![/ame]

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
Every once in a while you catch them with the lights on while riding the People Mover.
It's really a great ride.

I was actually able to coax my 4 year old daughter on there. She loved it. My wife? That's another story...

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio

That's pretty cool. I should have known someone would have done that.
With the flash it's still pretty cool. You know, it's dark in there, you're kind of disoriented and aren't sure where you're going, then the quick flash and you have a quick view of all that cool structure. Then it's all gone by the time you sort out what you just saw.

Anyway, good find!

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Ever run full speed through the woods in the dark and snap flash pictures?

Don't. It may be the camera, it may be your collarbone, but something is breakin'.

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
When I first went on that ride, it scared the crap out of me, and I've never been the same with roller coasters again...

It only goes like 35MPH but the darkness is what gets you.

Argji

Oct 14, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
I just got back from a week at Disney with the kids. :eek:
We lucked out and got to ride the just re-opened Space Mountain. :egypt:
It had been closed since the Spring, and it was scheduled to reopen this weekend. We thought we'd be out of luck.
However, they did a soft opening a few days early to run things through.
All of the changes are cosmetic/safety related. The ride itself was the same.

Glad to hear that. We were there last spring before they closed it and was worried that they would change it too much. When it comes to a retro-coaster, Space Mountain can't be beat! Our kids just loved it.

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
they did a "rockin space mountain" at Disneyland a couple years back (the REAL Space Mountain!) and the ride was a lot brighter with all the "rockin" lights and whatnot. It was pretty cool to ride the coaster and be able to see things a lot better. And the Red Hot Chili Peppers soundtrack wasn't bad either. they replaced the track back in 2005 so the ride is super smooth.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I had figured that maybe they would do something to make the load/unload easier. I was talking to a cast member who told me that they have an issue with the way the ride is designed in that it is difficult for heavy people to get in/out of the train. If a load/unload process takes too long, they end up having to shut the ride down, and it takes over 30 minutes to get things reset. The trains they have now are the same as before, so I don't think that's been fixed.

For future reference, this was a good week to go. No crowds at all.

Bandwagon03

Oct 13, 2008
Rural Retreat, VA
Congrats on the trip to Disney. We went back in September, it was great. They were still working on the Space Mountain redo at the time, we got on the Tomorrowland Transit Authority hoping to see some of the renovations, but, Disney had everything blocked off, (I should have known!)