Southern 500 presented by GoDaddy.com Thoughts / Predictions

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Who's going to win this one?

46 teams vying for 43 spots. When is this economy going to cause those short fields that people were talking about? :scratch:

Rookie, rookie sensation, Brad Keselowski is attempting to run this weekend. Will he leave his mark, or should I say 'stripe' @ Darlington? :confused:

Kyle Busch, defending race winner. Will he defend?

Can Jeff Gordon, who already leads active drivers in wins at this track, get his 8th victory?

Did you know........ 24 times only one car has finished on the lead lap at this track. The last time was 1979. Ahhhh, the good old days of racing that we so long for. :rofl2:

Did you know........ The worst starting spot that produced a victory here was 43rd? That was in Sept 1950 when 75 started 3 abreast. Johnny Mantz the winner. 75, 3 abreast..... That would have been cool to see. :yesshake:

Did you know........ More current....... Not only is Darlington the site of the oldest NASCAR race on asphalt, it is also the site of one of the closest race finishes in NASCAR history. Ricky Craven edged Kurt Busch by 0.002 seconds on March 16, 2003 – the smallest margin of victory since NASCAR instituted electronic timing in mid-1993. :heat: I'd like to place an order for another one of those please.

Another car for you Earnhardt 'toy car' collectors. #88-Dale Earnhardt Jr. is scheduled to run a MtnDew paint scheme. :rolleyes:

Yarborough to serve as Darlington Pace Car Driver.

Darlington walls go retro for Southern 500 - red and white retaining walls surrounding the track “Too Tough to Tame. :cool:

My pick - Ryan Newman :shock:

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
How can you go against Bush?

Kyle Busch 1
Carl Edwards 2
Greg Biffle 3
Denny Hamlin 4
Kurt Busch 5
Ryan Newman 6
Tony Stewart 7
Matt Kenseth 8
Jeff Burton 9
Kasey Kahne 10
Dale Earnhardt Jr. 11
Jimmie Johnson 12

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
I have a feeling this might be JG's last Southern 500...:right:

Why do you say this? Is it because of his back issues or a place for Keselowski? We all know that Gordon is 'washed up' and all but....... OK, sorry Gordon fans, just joking. Anyhow, I'd think that Keselowski would just get fielded in a Jr. Motorsports car of a Stewart, startup team with Hendrick backing in either case.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Why do you say this? Is it because of his back issues or a place for Keselowski? We all know that Gordon is 'washed up' and all but....... OK, sorry Gordon fans, just joking. Anyhow, I'd think that Keselowski would just get fielded in a Jr. Motorsports car of a Stewart, startup team with Hendrick backing in either case.

I have a feeling it'll be his back issues...:worried:

k9feces

Oct 20, 2008
Gordon will get his back problem sorted out, I think he said it was muscle spasms and his not his discs.

The worst part about back problems is the more you think about them the worse they become.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
Pretty interesting starting line-up for a Darlington race.

4. Sam Hornish Jr.
5. Joey Logano
10. Marcos Ambrose
13. Casey Mears
15. David Ragan
19. Elliott Sadler (next to Stewart? Uh-oh...:eek: :p )
42. Jimmie Johnson

The first 10-20 laps should be something to watch.

I kinda feel bad for Jeremy Mayfield.