SonicTap replacing SiriusXM on DirecTV, 2/9/2010

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Technically, it's Liberty Media that owns DirecTV and has a stake in SiriusXM. But yes, you're right.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
H/T to SatelliteGuys.us

DIRECTV: Tune In: SonicTap-XM Music Channel Comparison

This leaves Dish Network as the only provider with XM. Unless they decide to change, too.

Technically, Dish Network had Sirius. DirecTV had XM, but does it really matter at this point?

Thankfully, they didn't go with MTV Networks' Urge. AT&T U-Verse has Urge and it is fairly universally decried among U-Verse subscribers. (However, U-Verse does have a method to connect the set-top boxes to internet radio.)

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
I don't get this move, especially since it looks like they made a generic version of each station, then decided to add a bunch of non-English channels to the mix. Licensing fees too much of a hassle for DirecTV? :scratch:

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I think it might have more to do with talkative DJs more than any licensing. SiriusXM, as we know, has plenty of those where SonicTap has none. If Dish Network pulls the same thing, I'm hoping they do Slacker or Music Choice.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Whoever compared these channels were a freaking idiot, most of them aren't even close to being the same.

I don't think DJ's had anything to do with this move!

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Whoever compared these channels were a freaking idiot, most of them aren't even close to being the same.

I don't think DJ's had anything to do with this move!

I'm not sure it was a same format vs. same format channel comparison, since Sirius has little if any in the way of World music content, that would be impossible. What it was, was a listing of channels that are replacing those channels on those respective numbers. That's how I read it anyway.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I'm not sure it was a same format vs. same format channel comparison, since Sirius has little if any in the way of World music content, that would be impossible. What it was, was a listing of channels that are replacing those channels on those respective numbers. That's how I read it anyway.

Then you don't use the term channel comparison! You simply say these will be the channels replacing the existing XM channels. Again whoever wrote this or did this was an idiot! Though it does say replacement comparison, so I guess it is all in ones interpretation. It certainly looks to me like they made a half hearted effort to try to match them up, but failed. There was really no need to do a comparison at all, just say these are the channels replacing the current XM channels at these channel locations.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Then you don't use the term channel comparison! You simply say these will be the channels replacing the existing XM channels. Again whoever wrote this or did this was an idiot! Though it does say replacement comparison, so I guess it is all in ones interpretation. It certainly looks to me like they made a half hearted effort to try to match them up, but failed. There was really no need to do a comparison at all, just say these are the channels replacing the current XM channels at these channel locations.

I think it was more to lessen the surprise among subscribers when they turn to their favorite station to hear Garth Brooks and find Metallica playing. It sucked in the old days when local radio did it, and I wouldn't like it any better in this situation.

As for the DJ argument, there is more to it than you think, simply because Sirius has them, Sonic Tap and services like Music Choice do not. Which is why Music Choice is on most cable providers and Sirius is not. To hear some people talk on the the SG thread, this could mean the beginning of the end for Sirius, I wouldn't take it that far, unless indeed Dish Network does pull the plug. The possibilities of that are very strong should Sirius decide they want to make up whatever revenue is coming from DIRECTV with Dish since Charles Ergen (CEO of Dish) is known to pull popular channels on account of money issues anytime he likes. Then it's bye-bye Sirius. :hw:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I think it was more to lessen the surprise among subscribers when they turn to their favorite station to hear Garth Brooks and find Metallica playing. It sucked in the old days when local radio did it, and I wouldn't like it any better in this situation.

As for the DJ argument, there is more to it than you think, simply because Sirius has them, Sonic Tap and services like Music Choice do not. Which is why Music Choice is on most cable providers and Sirius is not. To hear some people talk on the the SG thread, this could mean the beginning of the end for Sirius, I wouldn't take it that far, unless indeed Dish Network does pull the plug. The possibilities of that are very strong should Sirius decide they want to make up whatever revenue is coming from DIRECTV with Dish since Charles Ergen (CEO of Dish) is known to pull popular channels on account of money issues anytime he likes. Then it's bye-bye Sirius. :hw:

I think you are overestimating the importance of Sirius XM on either Direct TV or Dish Network. Given the close relations between Direct TV and Sirius XM, I am not sure that one could view this as a 'bad' thing for Sirius XM. It is obviously part of their business plan.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana

Most of these things are decisions made over money or contract issues. I still don't think the DJ thing had anything to do with it.

I also don't see the big deal in Sirius or XM not being part of DirecTV or Dish being detrimental to their survival. I always love all these doomsday predictions which have been going on for years now and not one of them have panned out.

I am not sure that these services was paying Sirius XM very much to begin with as this appeared to be more about exposure with the hope of turning those folks into a subscriber than making money of them being on Direct or Dish.

This is being overplayed big time! Sirius XM won't skip a beat over this!

TX WJ

Intelligent Donkey
Oct 15, 2008
Chucktown
I have gone to the site and all I see is that they are trying to sell playlists that someone else has put together. What am I missing?

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I have gone to the site and all I see is that they are trying to sell playlists that someone else has put together. What am I missing?

Kinda like Slacker? I believe it is a Slacker or Last.fm type service that has streaming audio. And more channels than SiriusXM does (but then who doesn't?)

syphix

Oct 15, 2008
Here's the channel listing, including highlighted [New Channels]. For some reason, they put incorrect channel names on the new channels we'll receive (depending on your programming package):

Ch / XM / SonicTap
801 / The 40's / Jazz: Big Band/Swing
802 / The 50's / Oldies: Malt Shop Oldies
803 / The 60's / Oldies: 60's Revolution
804 / The 70's / Oldies: 70's Hits
805 / The 80's / Oldies: 80's Hits
806 / The 90's / Pop/Adult Contemporary: 90's Hits
807 / [New Channel] / Rat Pack
808 / Roadhouse / Country: Traditional Country
809 / Prime Country / Country: Hit Country
810 / Outlaw Country / Country: Red, Rock and Blues
811 / Willie's Place / Country: Honky Tonk Tavern
812 / Bluegrass Junction / Bluegrass: Bluegrass
813 / The Village / Folk: Folk Rock
814 / The Highway / Country: Modern Country
815 / The Loft / Holiday & Happenings
816 / Top 20 on 20 / Pop/Adult: Today's Hits
817 / Pop2K / Pop/Adult Contemporary: Y2K Hits
818 / The Pulse / Pop/Adult Contemporary: Hottest Hits
819 / Love / Pop/Adult Contemporary: Love Songs
820 / Escape / Instrumental: Contemporary Instrumentals
821 / The Blend / Pop/Adult Contemporary: Adult Contemoprary
822 / Cinemagic / Standards: Silver Screen
823 / On Broadway / Standards: Showtunes
824 / [New Channel] / Groove Lounge
825 / The Heat / Urban: Hot Jamz (Hip Hop)
826 / The Message / Religious: The Spirit
827 / Praise / Religious: Gospel Glory
828 / Enlighten / Religious: Hallelujah
829 / Hair Nation / Rock: Hair Guitar
830 / Bone Yard - XL / Rock: Full Metal Jacket
831 / Sirius XM U / Rock: College Rock
832 / The Spectrum / Rock: Adult Alternative
833 / Classic Vinyl / Rock: Classic Rock
834 / Alt. Nation / Rock: Alternative
835 / Octane / Rock: Ink'd
836 / The Loft / Standards: Singers-Songwriters
837 / Classic Rewind / Classic Rock: Classic Hits Blend
838 / Lithium / Rock: Reality Bites
839 / 1st Wave / Alternative: Flashback/New Wave
840 / Deep Tracks / Specialty: 8-Tracks
841 / Liquid Metal: XL / Rock: Spike (Explicit Lyrics)
842 / Soul Town / Urban: Classic R&B
843 / Heart & Soul / Urban: Silky Soul
844 / The Groove / Urban: Old School Funk
845 / Strobe / Dance: Retro Disco
846 / Backspin / Urban: The Boombox (Explicit Lyrics)
847 / Hip Hop Nation / Urban: Hype (Explicit Lyrics)
848 / Coffeehouse / Alternative: Coffeehouse Rock
849 / The Bridge / Rock: Soft Hits
850 / Real Jazz / Jazz: Classic Jazz Vocal Band
851 / Watercolors / Jazz: Smooth Jazz
852 / [New Channel] / Jazz
853 / [New Channel] / Metro Blend

854 / Bluesville / Specialty: Blues
855 / [New Channel] / Great Standards
856 / Spa / Health & Fitness: New Age
857 / Chill / Health & Fitness: Zen
858 / Area / Dance: SubTerranean
859 / BPM / Dance: Dance
860 / [New Channel] / Modern Workout
861 / [New Channel] / PUMP!
862 / [New Channel] / Classic Rock Workout

863 / The Joint / International: Reggae
864 / Symphony Hall / Classical: Symphonic
865 / [New Channel] / Piano
866 / Pops / Classical: Light Classical
867 / Radio Disney / Specialty: Be-Tween
868 / Kids Place Live / Specialty: The Playground
869 / Caliente / Latin: Bailamos!
880 / [New Channel] / Familiar Favorites
881 / [New Channel] / Italian Bistro Blend
882 / [New Channel] / Italian Contemporary
883 / [New Channel] / Irish
884 / [New Channel] / Tranquility

Already available SonicTap channels (again, depending on your package):

Ch / SonicTap channel
870 / Fiesta Tropical
871 / Latin Contemporary
872 / Music of the Americas
873 / Regional Mexican
874 / Salsa
875 / Hurbano
876 / Mariachi
877 / Carnaval Brasileiro
878 / Rock en Espanol
879 / Latin Jazz

Personally, it's no biggie to me: I have a XMp3 radio that I bring into the house, or I can stream on the stereo any of SIRIUS XM's online channels. I am, though, miffed by the lack of a Caribbean/Island-style channel.

Nov 9, 2008
nj
gimme a break!!

This is why cable rocks:bigthumbup:,no more channel changes every 2 months!I dont have to worry aout Music Choice going anywheres and the picture doesnt crap out when it rains or snows.Stupid Satellite Tv sucks!Oh yeah no ugly jerky dishes on the roof.
My siirus works great in the house via the aux jack.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I like Music Choice. I would have thought that DirecTV might have considered a switch to that service. Although something tells me there is a better financial deal in it for DirecTV with this sonic tap thing. Nothing more sinister than that.

smithee

Dec 14, 2009
Any blow to SiriusFm is a feel good moment for me . All that money i wasted on crappy radios and subscriptions . i sleep with the Chill or Spa channels on at nite and those stupid channel Id's wake me up , hopefully this service will not have those .